Defending the Irish airspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defending the Irish airspace

After the Bear incursion it occurs to me that the very first thing that is needed is decent LR radar coverage. If we want to buy European, two systems come to mind:

or

SMART-L is a 3D multibeam radar designed to provide long-range air and surface surveillance and target designation. The SMART-L MM is a fully digitally controlled Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar. The applied high-end techniques result in a radar with an unrivalled long range performance of 2000 km. Within this enormous range it detects a wide spectrum of targets: air breathing targets, stealth targets and ballistic missiles.

Buy 2, install one in Donegal and one in Kerry

Yes. Let's see what we can't do anything about, then think about getting a way to do something about it later.
    If we get the radar in the next four or five years, my money is on the logic leading to a small FJ capacity when the pilatus fleet comes up for replacement.

Comment

we'd also need a HQ that can actually use the data ... How many staff?

Comment

I say go civvy spec long range primary radar.

If that is going to mean buying 10 to give 100% coverage it may be cheaper to get 2-3 mil spec.

Either way I say let the IAA own and operate it but make sure data is integrated into AC RAP

Comment

Manufacturer of Radar antennas and systems for surveillance of air, ground and sea for airports, port border security and military applications

The problem that I see is that max range is 120 km vs 480. And the raison d'etre would be exactly that range - at least for me. Adding more systems would not help, because we can't put them onto barges out to sea.

Comment

If we're going to purchase them it makes sense to place them to get better all round coverage as well

See page 4

Comment

Range circles for military radars positioned in Kerry and Donegal, range 470 km:

Click image for larger version

Name:	aer defence.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	698093

Comment

One; the PC-9m's will be replaced by more ''barbie'' trainers, not lean and mean jets, the fact that there is planning for a replacement is cool, but no indication that anything useful will appear.
                Two; 470 km strikes me as a bit short, I'd prefer 1000km, but considering the size of the Atlantic......
                Three; go the extra step, get military radar, low level is important.

Just my 2 cent worth.
                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Well, for 1000 km we'd need this:

Comment

Should be an annual exercise with the Lear going 200 miles out over the Atlantic, switching off its transponder, dropping altitude and making a beeline for Dublin/Belfast/Sellafield.

Show the shortcomings in the coverage and really get the Irish & UK defence liaison procedures worked hard.

Comment

We have a Learjet?
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Yes. Purely because they can't politically justify a G. IV and the King Air is gone. Ryanair has four Learjets; maybe the Don could borrow one off him if this one goes tech.

Comment

For testing the radar I'd have a word with some neighbouring nations. I am sure they'll be happy to oblige.

Comment

Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                            One; the PC-9m's will be replaced by more ''barbie'' trainers, not lean and mean jets, the fact that there is planning for a replacement is cool, but no indication that anything useful will appear.
                            Two; 470 km strikes me as a bit short, I'd prefer 1000km, but considering the size of the Atlantic......
                            Three; go the extra step, get military radar, low level is important.

Just my 2 cent worth.
                            Sense would seem to dictate that, given the PC-9s were themselves a total waste of money with no legitimate purpose to the point that seeing them flying is an embarrassment, given that this fact has had time to sink in, a further replacement with something similar would be sheer lunacy.
                            There should either be no single seat aircraft, or some kind of fast air-to-air capable platform.

However, history says you are more likely right than wrong.

Mind you, experience would also have found the notion of a fourth OPV being ordered to be wishful thinking.
                            Last edited by expat01; 28 July 2016, 21:41.

Comment

Why are we moaning about having a top of the range trainer.

Moan about the lack of a air defence fighter.

Comment

Working...
                              X