Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence equipment Chief tells officials you're too old

Article in UK times today.

Tony Douglas berated an audience of defence equipment procurement officials for being too old.

"You need youngsters, because youngsters can innovate. You're all too old"

This ties in with sentiments sated by James Dyson in last weekends Sunday Times interview. The average age of his company is 26.

Valid point
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

I read Dyson's article...he easily dodged a few bullets in that one, especially about cost to the consumer. Nice kit he makes, but it stings the pocket. As for hanging a Lightning in his canteen, i wouldn't call that a design classic, by any stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
        I read Dyson's article...he easily dodged a few bullets in that one, especially about cost to the consumer. Nice kit he makes, but it stings the pocket. As for hanging a Lightning in his canteen, i wouldn't call that a design classic, by any stretch.
        I would, it was the fasted climbing collection of oil leaks, electrical problems, and serious flaws ever built!
        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

An aircraft that was a fuel emergency from take-off, was a maintenance nightmare, had an engine configuration that was copied by no-one, ever and only had two other customers because they were basically bribed to take them. It's one saving grace was it's climb rate.

Comment

An aircraft that was a fuel emergency from take-off, was a maintenance nightmare, had an engine configuration that was copied by no-one, ever and only had two other customers because they were basically bribed to take them. It's one saving grace was it's climb rate.
            And then came the under carriage leg cracks.....
            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

No romanticism, that's your problem...

Comment

actually, Dyson's first successful project was a workboat, now marketed by a company called Rotork.

Comment

Oh, you've invented a tap that dries hands? Well that certainly solves a problem no one never had.
                  Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

If he was addressing DE&S personnel, he is only saying what plenty are already saying. The problem is that by the time you are experienced enough to make a difference, you are eyeing up the pension. Same problem in every facet of publicly owned procurement agency.

Comment

Working...
                    X