No announcement yet.

Defence Forces Personnel Strength Figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any reason why the recruitment system can't be decentralised again? It's 100% failed the way it is now.

Comment

• Is there any reason why the recruitment system can't be decentralised again? It's 100% failed the way it is now.
      Not in the slightest for reserve; takes work off PDF and in fact typically much more experience with the process lies in the Reserve.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
        Is there any reason why the recruitment system can't be decentralised again? It's 100% failed the way it is now.
        Single Force is the only reason

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
          Is there any reason why the recruitment system can't be decentralised again? It's 100% failed the way it is now.
          Given the way things work in general, if whoever was responsible for the current system is still in the loop then going back to the old system will be seen as admitting failure, so reverting to it won't happen just yet. However, once they are clear of the fallout, somebody new will have an earth shattering epiphany "The current system doesn't work" and invigorate their career (or justify their salary) by reinventing the wheel (i.e. go back to the old system), but painted in a nice new colour featuring the fashionable buzzwords of the day. These things are cyclical (which working in Health and the Railway have taught me!)
          Last edited by Flamingo; 4 April 2018, 21:59.
          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Defence Bill allowing for re-enlistment if former PDF personnel

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              https://www.defence.ie/system/files/...-bill-2018.pdf

Defence Bill allowing for re-enlistment if former PDF personnel
              And insert favourite gripes about what they could have changed in addition, but chose not to.
              Last edited by DaithiDub; 9 October 2018, 23:23.

Comment

• So many of our problems have stemmed from when the COS was looking for a gig elsewhere and fostered a culture where the DF had "to be seen to be leaning in" for the DOD.

We ended up leaning in so far we ended up getting buggered
                Last edited by Fantasia; 11 October 2018, 15:43.

Comment

• I’d say it was a problem long (decades) before that

Comment

• The PDF have dropped to 8,989 WTE personnel

This is a net loss of 55 personnel over two years since first starting this thread.

This is over 500 less than what is required to conduct minimum level defence forces operations (which itself is based on the entire 9,500 being fully trained and in appointment on island)

There is also just 2,023 reserve personnel (figure also includes 1st line reserve)

Last edited by TangoSierra; 30 October 2018, 10:33.

Comment

• New motto - "Do more with less"
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                        New motto - "Do more with less"
                        Nothing new about that Motto.Been doing that for decades.
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• The PDF have dropped to 8,989 WTE personnel
                          I find the use of WTE in DF terms very troubling!

How is a DF WTE defined?

Normally a WTE is equated to a 39 hour full time ,whole time contract, AFAIK the DF don't work a pre defined working week in line with accept practises so it often takes more than one WTE to carry out a tasking... which suggest the actual strenght may be below that figure.

Strtenght vs establishment is a better comparrison so the actual shortfals can be highlighted.

Obvioulsy there would be differing opinions what vacancies have and haven't been filled but to justify replacement you have to be able to show actual vacancies. So If I put a whole battalion on paper and highlight all the appointments and then try to add names, how many will I come up short?

Now multiply it across the DF never mind attachments or postings recruits and pre discharges and give the real figure. Somehow or another I don't think it will reach to the number featured.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Does it include those on career breaks etc

Comment

• WTE is the strength less anyone on unpaid leave such as career breaks etc.

It does include those on sick leave etc.

As for strength vs establishment, every single individual soldier has a gazette appointment. It is managed at unit and Bde level.

Comment

Working...
                              X