Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Barracks Should Close Next? (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connemara?
    It makes no sense that the DF closed the Eq school depot in DFTC, while retaining everything in McKee. Meanwhile the Garda horses are kept near the Aras!
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmit� View Post
      Connemara?
      It makes no sense that the DF closed the Eq school depot in DFTC, while retaining everything in McKee. Meanwhile the Garda horses are kept near the Aras!
      The Curragh

It isn’t closed

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
        I have no problem with units being moved outside major cities but this should not be seen as a short tern solution to a long tern plan. In many cases it would be good to move not just because of accommodation costs but also most of these facilities lack adjacent training areas. This goes for other cities not just Dublin. But this will take a lot of time and money and should be aligned with the tasking of the DF.
        The problem is trust - I don't know anyone in the DF anymore who would trust the Government to provide the facilities outside of major urban areas.

In the ideal world, DF unit within major urban areas would be moved to state-of-the-art facilities in rural areas with large training areas etc. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that....but we all know that is not what would happen. If DF units are moved, it is likely to be to a place completely unsuited to their needs, run down or not even built yet. And as soon as that facility was finally made to work after unknown number of years, they would be moved on again. That is why the DF fights so hard to hold on to what it's got no matter how unsuitable - because there will be no replacement.

Comment

• Couldn't agree more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
            In the ideal world, DF unit within major urban areas would be moved to state-of-the-art facilities in rural areas with large training areas etc. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that....but we all know that is not what would happen. If DF units are moved, it is likely to be to a place completely unsuited to their needs, run down or not even built yet. And as soon as that facility was finally made to work after unknown number of years, they would be moved on again. That is why the DF fights so hard to hold on to what it's got no matter how unsuitable - because there will be no replacement.
            Which of course is good from a military point of view from a training and facilities point of view but then leads to longer commutes for soldiers etc

Comment

• Not sure if this has been noticed before
              Land Development Agency Dáil Éireann Debate, Tuesday - 26 February 2019

Devoy (Naas) and Columb (Mullingar) are going to the LDA for housing

Comment

• Thought devoy was long demolished except for the gate.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  Not sure if this has been noticed before
                  Land Development Agency Dáil Éireann Debate, Tuesday - 26 February 2019

Devoy (Naas) and Columb (Mullingar) are going to the LDA for housing
                  Hopefully someone tells Kildare County Council about Devoy, 'cos they have a stonking huge HQ building there

Last edited by Truck Driver; 1 September 2019, 22:29.
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Can i reconsider my vote? I've suddenly changed my mind about St.Bricins

Comment

• What's the Curragh Hospital being used for nowadays?

Comment

• keeping old buildings open, I think. I called in there about six months ago and was astonished that this kip constituted modern medical standards for the DF.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                          What's the Curragh Hospital being used for nowadays?
                          Still a small occupational focused hospital and medical school

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Still a small occupational focused hospital and medical school
                            I was born there and so was my slightly older brother. We were in quarters at I think Clarke Barracks at the time in 19---- AD.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                              I was born there and so was my slightly older brother. We were in quarters at I think Clarke Barracks at the time in 19---- AD.
                              The place was in a better condition then

Comment

• What a farce. 18 years, not one occupant.
                                Not one single business has been located there since the IDA took it over 18 years ago. 

Plea to sell idle North Cork IDA site
                                WED, 16 DEC, 2020 - 13:13
                                SEAN O’RIORDAN
                                A fully-serviced IDA site in North Cork which has remained unoccupied for many years should be put up for sale, according to local public representatives.

The IDA site, located on the northern side of Fermoy, was formerly an army barracks, known as Fitzgerald Camp.

It was handed over to the IDA shortly after the camp was closed on July 16, 2002, as part of a rationalisation of the Defence Forces.

The First Cavalry Squadron stationed there was transferred to Collins Barrack, Cork.

At a meeting of the Fermoy Municipal District Council, Fine Gael councillor Noel McCarthy won unanimous support from colleagues to call on the IDA to put the site, by the side of the former main Dublin–Cork road, on the open market.
                                The site is fully serviced with roads, power and water and sewerage connections.

However, not one single business has been located there since the IDA took it over 18 years ago.

“The IDA has brought jobs to Fermoy in the past, but this particular IDA site has remained idle. It's a fantastic location only half a mile from the motorway,” Mr McCarthy said.

He said over the years there had been rumours that foreign companies had looked at it, but nothing had come out of that and he believes the IDA prefers to attract industries to Carrigtwohill and Ringaskiddy instead.

All it's being used for is for people walking their dogs. If they're (the IDA) not serious in pushing Fermoy they should put it on the open market and see if there is somebody interested in developing it
                                Mr McCarthy pointed out the 20-acre acre site is currently zoned for business and technology but added that could be easily changed.

“There are numerous options here, it could be used to build a new hotel.

"People are frustrated by the absence of anything there. It's a pure shame to see this site idle,” he said.

“The IDA needs to be upfront with us. I've no doubt if it was on the market it would generate interest.

"We have 20 acres of prime land here right in the centre of Munster,” Fianna Fail councillor William O'Leary said.

Fianna Fáil councillor Frank O'Flynn said they should also write to Enterprise Ireland to see if it had any ideas for the site.

Meanwhile, the same meeting heard the council hopes to have a contractor appointed by the end of next year to repair a weir in Fermoy which has suffered serious damage from repeated flooding in recent years.

The damage to the weir on the River Blackwater in Fermoy has led to a significant drop in water levels at times, which has hindered salmon spawning upriver and curtailed the activities of a local rowing club and triathlon enthusiasts.

Comment

Working...
                                X