Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Barracks Should Close Next? (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    What a farce. 18 years, not one occupant.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40191648.html
    Not as if there is a housing crisis or anything

Comment

• Defence Forces Properties Dáil Éireann Debate, Wednesday - 3 February 2021

The LDA have also confirmed a future interest in acquiring the St. Bricin’s medical facility in Dublin 7. My officials are progressing the necessary preparatory matters in this regard.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
        https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates...03/349/#pq_349

The LDA have also confirmed a future interest in acquiring the St. Bricin’s medical facility in Dublin 7. My officials are progressing the necessary preparatory matters in this regard.
        Fancy that... being interested in acquiring a parcel of State land in a prime location in the centre of Dublin, close to bus and rail links
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Minister for Defence Simon Coveney has confirmed that he intends to open a process of public consultation on the future of the Curragh Plains. In December 2019 the Department of Defence and Kildare County Council agreed to engage a multi-disciplinary consultancy team to address a series of issues an...

Comment

• every time I see one of these, someone wants to line their pockets somehow with state resources
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
              every time I see one of these, someone wants to line their pockets somehow with state resources
              The LDA was founded in 2018 to control the use and development of State Lands, some for housing. There are always agendas in these matters with unwished for consequences for some. Over the years Defence has lost much property and lands with no quid pro quo.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                The LDA was founded in 2018 to control the use and development of State Lands, some for housing. There are always agendas in these matters with unwished for consequences for some. Over the years Defence has lost much property and lands with no quid pro quo.
                Would money not constitute a quid pro quo?

Comment

• Would money not constitute a quid pro quo?
                  to take one example, Rockbrae house in Bray is being handed over. Ask about your quid pro quo there.

Comment

to take one example, Rockbrae house in Bray is being handed over. Ask about your quid pro quo there.
                    Rockbrae House is about as relevant to the 21st Century DF as the Walls of Dublin. So good riddance would be my first thought.

The Army, Reserve and Permanent, will never truly develop as long at thry remain wedded to geographic locations bequeathed to them by the departing British, many of which are totally unfit for a modern military. Accommodation unfit for human habitation,catering facilities that are truly shocking, even basics like access for Tpt Corps ar tics being unsuitable, sometimes even impossible.

Comment

• The disposal of former Defence force property has been a shining example of how the DoD does business. Sady it's not their fault, as (mis)management and disposal of property is down to the OPW.
                      I could start listing off former DF properties not far outside my own 5km zone that when passed from DF hands, vanished into the ether. Now neither used nor owned. The exceptions being the Old Army Apprentice school in Naas (which you'll struggle to find today), Griffith Barracks and Murphy Barracks Ballincollig.
                      Otherwise there are numerous recently vacated properties, that lie idle, in various states of disrepair. Kildare Barracks being the worst offender, and an insult to those who served within.
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

It’s not used so might as well be

Originally posted by Egbeygia View Post
                        Rockbrae House is about as relevant to the 21st Century DF as the Walls of Dublin. So good riddance would be my first thought.

The Army, Reserve and Permanent, will never truly develop as long at thry remain wedded to geographic locations bequeathed to them by the departing British, many of which are totally unfit for a modern military. Accommodation unfit for human habitation,catering facilities that are truly shocking, even basics like access for Tpt Corps ar tics being unsuitable, sometimes even impossible.
                        DoD won’t maintain the barracks it does have never mind built new ones

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                        The disposal of former Defence force property has been a shining example of how the DoD does business. Sady it's not their fault, as (mis)management and disposal of property is down to the OPW.
                        I could start listing off former DF properties not far outside my own 5km zone that when passed from DF hands, vanished into the ether. Now neither used nor owned. The exceptions being the Old Army Apprentice school in Naas (which you'll struggle to find today), Griffith Barracks and Murphy Barracks Ballincollig.
                        Otherwise there are numerous recently vacated properties, that lie idle, in various states of disrepair. Kildare Barracks being the worst offender, and an insult to those who served within.
                        Not sure about OPW being response, a quick google says the Minister signed the contract for the sale of Clancy

Comment

• Originally posted by Egbeygia View Post

It's fair to say, regarding access by road to the largest Barracks in Munster, is it makes it easier to defend.
                          Well done to the bright person who thought in the LATE 1990s a second entrance onto alternative routes might be useful. I hope he was either (a) promoted or (b) got a better paying civvy job.
                          In the meantime the best thing that has happened to most buildings in use has been the bulldozer. reluctance to modify buildings from the time of the British is usually only fixed when said building falls down of its own accord, or goes on fire. Even then, there is no guarantee. It must have been at least 20 years between the old gym in Collins Barracks burning down and a new one being built.
                          When Fermoy closed, everyone assumed the units based there would move to the nearby Kilworth camp. An easy solution. A huge green field site, on the main Cork - Dublin road, with plenty of room for new buildings and no neighbours to inconvenience. Nope. Instead move the Cav into Cork City (20 miles away) and squeeze them into whatever corner hadn't fallen down yet. Later on, buildings for vehicles were built. (but only because the Gunners were evicted from Ballincollig too). Plans made to build a super prison on DF land in Kilworth instead. Thankfully it came to nothing.
                          At the price of alterations to make room for a regiment and a squadron in Collins Barracks, you could have built a modern fit for purpose new barracks (with airstrip) in Kilworth. You still could. On Google earth you can still see opposite the current camp where a large complex of huts and tents once stood when the brits used it. Now the sheep have it.
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Rockbrae House is about as relevant to the 21st Century DF as the Walls of Dublin. So good riddance would be my first thought.
                            My point was regarding the quid pro quo - money changing hands - rather than its relevance.

Comment

My point was regarding the quid pro quo - money changing hands - rather than its relevance.
                              So you are advocating inflating the price of badly needed social housing on an underutilised site that could otherwise be transferred for free? Or are you looking for an alternative facility where the AR can meet up, dress up and play soldier in the Bray area, despite re-orgs, Single Force Concept, etc.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Egbeygia View Post
                                So you are advocating inflating the price of badly needed social housing on an underutilised site that could otherwise be transferred for free? Or are you looking for an alternative facility where the AR can meet up, dress up and play soldier in the Bray area, despite re-orgs, Single Force Concept, etc.?
                                Don’t need to inflate the price

A much smaller site (1/4 of the size) across the road from Rockbrae House was valued at €2.25 million 4 years ago (or be it with planning) with a not dissimilar “period home”

It’s my understanding that the site is essentially being gifted to Wicklow County Council

Comment

Working...
                                X