Likes Likes:  229
Dislikes Dislikes:  8
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Soldier 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Any pics of all this new kit?
    Time for another break I think......

Post Thanks / Like
    See Post 117 for pictures of the prototypes(thank god they have fixed the Trouser pockets!) and Post's 394 and 399 in this thread for pictures of the finished product RE the shirt and the trousers.The shirt had the UBACS pocket added.On ONE sleeve and the Trouser pockets were angled backwards instead of forwards and the larger slotted buttons used instead of the smaller ones to close it.)

The only differences on the smock from the prototype and the issue is the addition of the fleece lining to the collar.

The boonie hat is as per the prototype and is HUGE.

The UBACS now comes with a side zipped collar.
    Last edited by apod; 6th August 2019 at 17:21.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

3. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The shirt looks minging… the trousers with set elastics, its going to look gank on guys who are not straight off the peg.....has the actual DPM pattern changed? Looking at the detail the actual patterns in the shirts seem to have acquired more 'squiggles'
    Time for another break I think......

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope.Pattern is the same.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

6. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone notice the new shirts being worn in a few of the recent DF official photos.Mainly by RDF.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by apod; 17th September 2019 at 00:40.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    I notice the new general wearing what I assume is a new shirt. Whats the deal with the pocket location? Too high for a waist pocket, too low for a chest pocket. why bother at all?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Noticed that too.Modified shirt.
    She would have just been better off to just wadi the pockets altogether.Or better still get issued one of the 2018 shirts with no,ahem,"breast" pockets.
    Personally I think it was a poor choice of attire for a first official photo.

10. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Tactical trousers"(Arktis/Crye style) to begin manufacture in Jan 2020.
    Scale of issue still unknown.

12. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    "Tactical trousers"(Arktis/Crye style) to begin manufacture in Jan 2020.
    Scale of issue still unknown.
    I imagine it'll be like the UBAC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by northie View Post
    I imagine it'll be like the UBAC.
    That would be my guess too. I believe they are being manufactured by Seyntex from an Arktis design(who got the Idea from Crye). I haven't had a chance to examine them but looking at some videos of the original Arktis ones on Youtube they look to be a great bit of kit. I assume they come with a pair of removable kneepads.

If so those that mean a separate issue of kneepads is no longer required? As it is the issue elbow pads are defunct since the UBAC was introduced.

15. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First new smock showed up at my callsign today. I say smock but fit wise it is more like the old combat jacket. They are shorter and more tailored. If you want to be able to get your layers underneath with ease I would advise that whatever your current size is go at least one size up if being issued one of the new ones.
    One issue that was pointed out is that the placement of the rank slide holder is higher up than on the old model.Meaning that the wearer cannot leave the neck of the smock open too far down.Also the fleece lined collar means you can't fold down the collar when the hood is detached at it looks ridiculous to do so.

EDIT: Cancel my last. go at least TWO sizes up if you want to be able to fit your layers under and when you go to get sized don't just try the Smock(it's really a jacket) on over a shirt and t-shirt.
    Wear a Barrack jacket or snugpack aswell. They are VERY tight fitting.
    Last edited by apod; 26th October 2019 at 12:24.

17. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PDF Recruits in Cork wearing a mixture of old and new "smocks".

Those with the new type "smock" have the hood front velcro closed and the hood hanging down their back similar to the old smock hood.

I say similar but it is anything but. It looks awful. Any of you NCO's,if you end up with troops who have the new "smock" don't try to make them look uniform with the old ones.You can't.
    Just tell them to remove the hood and wear the smock buttoned up to the collar. It looks waaaaaaaaaaaaay neater.

New shirts are a nause also. If you are right handed and used to stowing your phone in your left chest pocket. Get used to now having to use your left hand to get your phone out of your right side bicep pocket. Why oh why didn't we just go for a UBACS style pocket on BOTH sleeves????????????Grrrrr

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    PDF Recruits in Cork wearing a mixture of old and new "smocks".

Those with the new type "smock" have the hood front velcro closed and the hood hanging down their back similar to the old smock hood.

I say similar but it is anything but. It looks awful. Any of you NCO's,if you end up with troops who have the new "smock" don't try to make them look uniform with the old ones.You can't.
    Just tell them to remove the hood and wear the smock buttoned up to the collar. It looks waaaaaaaaaaaaay neater.

New shirts are a nause also. If you are right handed and used to stowing your phone in your left chest pocket. Get used to now having to use your left hand to get your phone out of your right side bicep pocket. Why oh why didn't we just go for a UBACS style pocket on BOTH sleeves????????????Grrrrr
    And why on a shirt designed for barracks wear

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    any pics going
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    any pics going
    Seek and ye shall find.
    http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t12755-2018-pattern-smock

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t12754-2018-pattern-shirt

(Unless it was pictures of the recruits you were looking for.In which case I can't help you.And why would you want them anyway ya sick b'stad??)

22. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmiti, DeV, hedgehog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    And why on a shirt designed for barracks wear
    Yeah.That's what happens when the needs and wants of 7% of the members of an organisation are given precedence over the other 93%.IE the Females.

Shirt was made "Unisex".Then after some negative comments about there being no proper pockets on the prototype shirt they just chuck one on to an existing design.
    No imagination at all. Also I guarantee that some dinosaur cribbed that if they DID fit a UBACS pocket on both sleeves "Where will the tricolour go?" Eh,on the blanking plate lower down like most other nations do.Or stitch it to the pocket lid if it's that big a problem for you.

24. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

26. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    How long do you think it will be before some numpty decides the removable hood makes an ideal garment to wear without the smock?
    Also, I am not a fan of velcro for rank holder. Too easy to lose the slider (or anything else you decide to hang off it, like radio handset, if such a thing is still in use. I appreciate though that it is probably no longer a priority, given rank markings have moved to other places..
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Thread Information