Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You need the sarcasm tags. I pay particular attention to not wearing that jacket as it is not authorized for RDF wear .
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
      You need the sarcasm tags. I pay particular attention to not wearing that jacket as it is not authorized for RDF wear .
      Of course that's a whole different topic.What does and does not constitute a modern practical scale of issue to the Army Reserve. Not sure they need every item that a PDF recruit gets but it 100% needs updating.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
        If parades are the driving factor wear the SD's!!
        You will struggle to wear multiple layers under the new yokes unless you get the right size and in typical DF fashion we have introduced a new item with zero guidance to the troops to let them know this.
        Also there is no joined up thinking. We are about to introduce velcro backed subdued unit flashes for day to day use with no place to attach them on the new Jacket.

Why do we keep on doing these things???
        Unfortunately Apod, all of what you say here is:
        1. Nothing new in the history of the army.
        2. A reflection of poor management / logistics / proper scales of issue, etc.
        3. There has always been a hierarchy in army more concerned with parade appearance and consequently have restricted the ability to develope sound operational / tactical guidelines for clothing, kit, etc.

I've seen more good pieces of kit, both in the DF and outside, be rubbished by personnel because they didn't get proper sizes, usage instructions, explanations how / why new kit is a benefit, etc. And then the Irish solution is to bastardise it to address the problems, which inevitably ruins the kit regardless.
        Last edited by X-RayOne; 9 February 2020, 17:10.
        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          But yet we have all been issued the much more functional smart Westlife jacket which is much more suitable for that
          I prefer to call it the smug pak.
          Last edited by smegers; 9 February 2020, 16:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by smegers View Post
            I prefer to call it the smug pak.
            The sarcastic bit was that we had all been issued it.

The Westlife jacket is the barracks jacket which is much suited to relatively smart wear around Barracks compared to a smock

The Snugpak isn’t for outer wear.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              The sarcastic bit was that we had all been issued it.

The Westlife jacket is the barracks jacket which is much suited to relatively smart wear around Barracks compared to a smock

The Snugpak isn’t for outer wear.
              Yes I know, which is why i called it the smug pak.

Comment

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                Unfortunately Apod, all of what you say here is:
                1. Nothing new in the history of the army.
                2. A reflection of poor management / logistics / proper scales of issue, etc.
                3. There has always been a hierarchy in army more concerned with parade appearance and consequently have restricted the ability to develope sound operational / tactical guidelines for clothing, kit, etc.

I've seen more good pieces of kit, both in the DF and outside, be rubbished by personnel because they didn't get proper sizes, usage instructions, explanations how / why new kit is a benefit, etc. And then the Irish solution is to bastardise it to address the problems, which inevitably ruins the kit regardless.
                And what do we do about it?? Nothing. There are feedback forms on the IKON. Nobody uses them. There is a discussion forum on the IKON and you use that at your peril! The DF doesn't DO feedback well.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I genuinely remember doing tactics in SD1 up the side of Kilbride. Sure its Fado fado but it happened. We've come a long way since then this is a step back in my view. In my head I did actually think it back to see if a shorter smock might be better but there was nothing to call it a world beater.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Amen to that. I have given up on feedback because most people don’t want to hear what you think and you end up getting your head bitten off
                    Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

• As a diversion from the ongoing zombie apocolypse........

Whatever happened to the trailed tactical (Crye style ) trousers? Any results or decisions on issuing to troops?

Also, under current regs what is rules for UBACS? Is it optional for tactical, e.g. UBACS or shirt, or at CO's decision as to field wear??
                      An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• UBACS is for wear under CBA

Comment

• Whatever happened to the trailed tactical (Crye style ) trousers? Any results or decisions on issuing to troops?
                          Yes they are going on issue to Combat and Combat Support units and the Manoeuvre elements of Overseas units. Not for CSS units,HQ Appointments or Induction Training. Removable knee pads coming with.

Also, under current regs what is rules for UBACS? Is it optional for tactical, e.g. UBACS or shirt, or at CO's decision as to field wear??
                          UBACS is considered Operational/Tactical/Field dress and is supposed to be only worn with GSBA according to Admin Instruction A9. The snag is we don't wear our GSBA at all times when on OPS so in practice it is supposed to be worn when wearing GSBA or when GSBA is carried and you may have to go to a higher Force Protection/PPE posture. Smock can be worn over UBACS in cold weather as can the Waterproof Jacket.
                          Shirts are supposed to be Barracks dress now but seeing as PDF Recruits/2*s and RDF are not issued UBACS shirts can still be seen being worn in hot weather "on the ground".
                          Last edited by apod; 31 March 2020, 23:43.

Comment

• Cheers Apod,

That explains what I was wondering (from various photos of troops in UBACS and shirts on the ground) much better than I actually asked it.

Comment

• No sign of any of the new items yet. If the DF is coming out of lockdown how come stores are not issuing?

Comment

• New sniper backpack, the Eberlestock Gunslinger, expensive bit of kit.

The G2 is the latest evolution of the original Gunslinger pack, and both are in wide use by elite military, police, and civilians all over the world -- snipers, marksmen, and regular folks who appreciate the overwhelming utility and versatility of this product. Its a mid-sized pack with a full-width scabbard to better accommodate weapons with larger cross-sections or bulky optics; it will carry any man-portable weapon. The wide scabbard also allows it to serve as an excellent laptop or military radio compartment, and because its also wide at the bottom, users have the option of carrying weapons butt-down or butt-up. Like the G4 Operator pack, it features both front loading and top loading features, gi

Comment

Working...
                                X