Thanks Thanks:  157
Likes Likes:  247
Dislikes Dislikes:  8
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Soldier 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    These new Jackets(That's what they are) are a retrograde move and go completely against all the recommendations that the ARW Special study group made back in '96 that led to the introduction of the smock in the first place! We are re-inventing the wheel.
    You have to take into account that those recommendations are almost 25 years old now. We have moved on. While the new dpm uniforms were a massive leap forward in terms of materials, etc. the smock as it is now is an obsolete item in terms of functionality. Use of CBA and IPLCS has made easy use of most of its pockets impractical if not impossible. Military clothing has moved on to much more form fitting, functional movement designs. Close fitting wicking base layers, UBACS, even combat trousers are designed with higher waist / lumbar coverage to address ride up, etc. Moving to plate carriers / load carrying body armour will only re-enforce the need for slimmer, integrated clothing underneath.

Losing the drop liners from the combat trousers was probably a worse move and would have solved the wet bum issues (which has been the only advantage mentioned here so far). A cut off of kip mat that can be pulled out of a pocket or pouch also solves wet bums when sitting on cold / wet ground for periods.
    Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that the new Jackets have been and are designed to work better with CBA. But they should have left the length alone and kept the integrated hood.If the hood is detachable you will leave it behind and when you really need it you won't have it.

Soldiers 25 years ago had the same physiology as today.Cold is cold and smocks were supposed to be loose fitting to allow for layers to be worn underneath.The new Jackets are tighter and darted to have a more tailored Parade ground look. If parades are the driving factor wear the SD's!! You will struggle to wear multiple layers under the new yokes unless you get the right size and in typical DF fashion we have introduced a new item with zero guidance to the troops to let them know this. Also there is no joined up thinking. We are about to introduce velcro backed subdued unit flashes for day to day use with no place to attach them on the new Jacket.

Why do we keep on doing these things???
    "105,000 dead. 40,000,000 unemployed. Police murdering African-Americans. You’ve completed you’re mission. You’ve made America great. Now get the f**k out."

- Rob Reiner.

"Yes he's an idiot with zero common sense,and no social skills,but he IS my son.I just hope he never goes into politics.He'd be a disaster.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

3. Thanks na grohmiti, DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Soldiers 25 years ago had the same physiology as today.Cold is cold
    Unless your RDF
    We don’t get cold for the first 71 hours and admin personnel don’t get cold at all. We don’t get hot under CBA either

5. Likes UniSol liked this post
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    the smock as it is now is an obsolete item in terms of functionality
    I am sorry I have to disagree as someone who's walked out on the square on a baltic Winter night for 34 years this is senseless . I still have my first issue smock as field smock and I treasure that sitting pad thats in it which is still one of the biggest leaps forward in technology the Army ever made .
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

7. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    I am sorry I have to disagree as someone who's walked out on the square on a baltic Winter night for 34 years this is senseless . I still have my first issue smock as field smock and I treasure that sitting pad thats in it which is still one of the biggest leaps forward in technology the Army ever made .
    But yet we have all been issued the much more functional smart Westlife jacket which is much more suitable for that

Post Thanks / Like
    You need the sarcasm tags. I pay particular attention to not wearing that jacket as it is not authorized for RDF wear .

10. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    You need the sarcasm tags. I pay particular attention to not wearing that jacket as it is not authorized for RDF wear .
    Of course that's a whole different topic.What does and does not constitute a modern practical scale of issue to the Army Reserve. Not sure they need every item that a PDF recruit gets but it 100% needs updating.
    "105,000 dead. 40,000,000 unemployed. Police murdering African-Americans. You’ve completed you’re mission. You’ve made America great. Now get the f**k out."

- Rob Reiner.

"Yes he's an idiot with zero common sense,and no social skills,but he IS my son.I just hope he never goes into politics.He'd be a disaster.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

12. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If parades are the driving factor wear the SD's!!
    You will struggle to wear multiple layers under the new yokes unless you get the right size and in typical DF fashion we have introduced a new item with zero guidance to the troops to let them know this.
    Also there is no joined up thinking. We are about to introduce velcro backed subdued unit flashes for day to day use with no place to attach them on the new Jacket.

Why do we keep on doing these things???
    Unfortunately Apod, all of what you say here is:
    1. Nothing new in the history of the army.
    2. A reflection of poor management / logistics / proper scales of issue, etc.
    3. There has always been a hierarchy in army more concerned with parade appearance and consequently have restricted the ability to develope sound operational / tactical guidelines for clothing, kit, etc.

I've seen more good pieces of kit, both in the DF and outside, be rubbished by personnel because they didn't get proper sizes, usage instructions, explanations how / why new kit is a benefit, etc. And then the Irish solution is to bastardise it to address the problems, which inevitably ruins the kit regardless.
    Last edited by X-RayOne; 9th February 2020 at 16:10.

14. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    But yet we have all been issued the much more functional smart Westlife jacket which is much more suitable for that
    I prefer to call it the smug pak.
    Last edited by smegers; 9th February 2020 at 15:04.

16. Thanks trellheim thanked for this post
    Likes UniSol liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smegers View Post
    I prefer to call it the smug pak.
    The sarcastic bit was that we had all been issued it.

The Westlife jacket is the barracks jacket which is much suited to relatively smart wear around Barracks compared to a smock

The Snugpak isn’t for outer wear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    The sarcastic bit was that we had all been issued it.

The Westlife jacket is the barracks jacket which is much suited to relatively smart wear around Barracks compared to a smock

The Snugpak isn’t for outer wear.
    Yes I know, which is why i called it the smug pak.

19. Thanks trellheim, DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-RayOne View Post
    Unfortunately Apod, all of what you say here is:
    1. Nothing new in the history of the army.
    2. A reflection of poor management / logistics / proper scales of issue, etc.
    3. There has always been a hierarchy in army more concerned with parade appearance and consequently have restricted the ability to develope sound operational / tactical guidelines for clothing, kit, etc.

I've seen more good pieces of kit, both in the DF and outside, be rubbished by personnel because they didn't get proper sizes, usage instructions, explanations how / why new kit is a benefit, etc. And then the Irish solution is to bastardise it to address the problems, which inevitably ruins the kit regardless.
    And what do we do about it?? Nothing. There are feedback forms on the IKON. Nobody uses them. There is a discussion forum on the IKON and you use that at your peril! The DF doesn't DO feedback well.

- Rob Reiner.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

21. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I genuinely remember doing tactics in SD1 up the side of Kilbride. Sure its Fado fado but it happened. We've come a long way since then this is a step back in my view. In my head I did actually think it back to see if a shorter smock might be better but there was nothing to call it a world beater.

Post Thanks / Like
    Amen to that. I have given up on feedback because most people don’t want to hear what you think and you end up getting your head bitten off
    Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

24. Likes DeV, trellheim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a diversion from the ongoing zombie apocolypse........

Whatever happened to the trailed tactical (Crye style ) trousers? Any results or decisions on issuing to troops?

Also, under current regs what is rules for UBACS? Is it optional for tactical, e.g. UBACS or shirt, or at CO's decision as to field wear??

26. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    UBACS is for wear under CBA

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever happened to the trailed tactical (Crye style ) trousers? Any results or decisions on issuing to troops?
    Yes they are going on issue to Combat and Combat Support units and the Manoeuvre elements of Overseas units. Not for CSS units,HQ Appointments or Induction Training. Removable knee pads coming with.

Also, under current regs what is rules for UBACS? Is it optional for tactical, e.g. UBACS or shirt, or at CO's decision as to field wear??
    UBACS is considered Operational/Tactical/Field dress and is supposed to be only worn with GSBA according to Admin Instruction A9. The snag is we don't wear our GSBA at all times when on OPS so in practice it is supposed to be worn when wearing GSBA or when GSBA is carried and you may have to go to a higher Force Protection/PPE posture. Smock can be worn over UBACS in cold weather as can the Waterproof Jacket.
    Shirts are supposed to be Barracks dress now but seeing as PDF Recruits/2*s and RDF are not issued UBACS shirts can still be seen being worn in hot weather "on the ground".
    Last edited by apod; 31st March 2020 at 22:43.

- Rob Reiner.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

29. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Apod,

That explains what I was wondering (from various photos of troops in UBACS and shirts on the ground) much better than I actually asked it.

Post Thanks / Like
    No sign of any of the new items yet. If the DF is coming out of lockdown how come stores are not issuing?

- Rob Reiner.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    New sniper backpack, the Eberlestock Gunslinger, expensive bit of kit.

https://eberlestock.com/collections/...16875830345779

33. Thanks DeV, apod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    New sniper backpack, the Eberlestock Gunslinger, expensive bit of kit.

https://eberlestock.com/collections/...16875830345779
    And that’s a day sack !

Post Thanks / Like
    Bit of a bad choice IMHO. Snipers will often carry a full Bergens load of kit and then some when going out on an extended op. By introducing this pack it is compromising their ability to carry everything they need and forcing them to choose between the sniper pack(which has a built in rifle scabbard) and the normal Bergen( which doesn't).

To the best of my knowledge these packs are replacing the current sniper drag bags and will not be personal issue but a unit pool issue.Another bad idea as it prevents user customisation.

The new sniper clothing is only issued out to "Active" Snipers as decided by OC IWW.Why couldn't a proper modular Full size Sniper Bergen have been issued in the same way?

- Rob Reiner.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

36. Likes DeV, Truck Driver, ropebag, UniSol liked this post

Thread Information