Irish Times article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
    It was easier than I expected. And I don't just mean writing out the plan...
    What was your assessment for keeping the troops there long term.?

Comment

I did a plan for RAF Shannon at staff college - it was a lot more than 8 pages - for the higher command course I know of one plan that involved the recapture of the Duchy of Normandy...

An 8 page report however isn't the random stuff you do at staff college, it's a euphemism for 'you are, I assume, fcuking joking...?' that someone prepares when there's an idiot politician on the prowl.
      I'd say a strongly worded letter to Enda Kenny and you'd have the Keys by return post?

Comment

ropebag didn't tell us how easy taking Shannon was, but the truth can now be revealed: Shannon this is Ascot 387, we errr, need some fuel... *shifty eyes*

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
          ropebag didn't tell us how easy taking Shannon was, but the truth can now be revealed: Shannon this is Ascot 387, we errr, need some fuel... *shifty eyes*

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-n...-35377752.html
          And I love the "outrage" it's causing some people even now...

Comment

bloody crabs, can't think of anything by themselves....

(i don't think i'm revealling too much, but if i said that everything passed the third paragraph was filler..)

Comment

I wonder what Ms Dalys reaction would be if the Minister revealed his steps to prevent a recurrence include a proper air defence radar, and the fast jets and missiles to back it up...

(And as well as NATO, Russian flights would also be subject to restrictions...)
              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

bloody crabs, can't think of anything by themselves....

(i don't think i'm revealling too much, but if i said that everything passed the third paragraph was filler..)
                Ah, spoken like a true staff course student :-) Written a few of those myself, last one was for "Azerbijian" a fictional Middle East country. Depending on the level of the course you are attending, we use maps US states as fictional countries (the conspiracy nuts love this..."See, the evil government is planning a takeover"), Pineland, Atropia and so on. Link here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/31437...-trained-fight

The planners have done a great job on these, fake national histories, currencies, documents, radio stations, badges, uniforms etc. All good fun.

But, back to the topic, yes, most serious militaries would have a series of classified CONPLANS as a start point, it's what armies do. I'm sure even Ireland has some basic plans, even if it's just for ATCP (pandemic, natural disaster, etc.). I'll go out on a limb and suggest Ireland probably doesn't have a strong plan for the invasion of France, but then who really knows what lurks at Abbyrshule. As for Clare Dalys' "outrage", yawn, boring...I'd love to ask her "How do you propose we prevent the RAF landing Ms. Daly?, other than a strongly worded letter our options as a DF are fairly limited...." Good times.

Comment

Passed her today in Grafton St, looks like she buys hers clothes in a 1970s charity shop

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                    And I love the "outrage" it's causing some people even now...
                    if i were feeling truculent, i'd wonder if the Irish government got so excited (not that i believe they are, but appearences matter..) about prior diplomatic clearance when Nimrods and Seakings were doing rescues in Irelands SAR region because Ireland couldn't afford helicopters, or when RAF aircraft arrive at 3am to transport Irish citizens to take them to healthcare that Ireland doesn't provide...?

i wouldn't want anyone to think i don't think Ireland has the right to decide who should or should not walk on its territory, or that it doesn't have the right to object when others don't follow its rules, but perhaps a little discretion and good will might be order given Irelands' willingness to take advantage of the goodwill of others...

Comment

if i were feeling truculent, i'd wonder if the Irish government got so excited (not that i believe they are, but appearences matter..) about prior diplomatic clearance when Nimrods and Seakings were doing rescues in Irelands SAR region because Ireland couldn't afford helicopters, or when RAF aircraft arrive at 3am to transport Irish citizens to take them to healthcare that Ireland doesn't provide...?.
                      They quite possibly did actually and if not they the being requested by Ireland anyway so not the same thing.

I'm not aware of an RAF air ambulance missions from Ireland. Offshore SAR definitely

Comment

Dev you know exactly what point ropebag is making there's no need to debate it!!
                        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

if i were feeling truculent, i'd wonder if the Irish government got so excited (not that i believe they are, but appearences matter..) about prior diplomatic clearance when Nimrods and Seakings were doing rescues in Irelands SAR region because Ireland couldn't afford helicopters, or when RAF aircraft arrive at 3am to transport Irish citizens to take them to healthcare that Ireland doesn't provide...?

i wouldn't want anyone to think i don't think Ireland has the right to decide who should or should not walk on its territory, or that it doesn't have the right to object when others don't follow its rules, but perhaps a little discretion and good will might be order given Irelands' willingness to take advantage of the goodwill of others...
                          Ordinary man in the street does not care when RAF aircraft land in Ireland, Only ones who make a song and dance about it are the hard left
                          cranks in the Dail looking for a bit of cheap publicity.

In relation to the number of requests by us for UK aircraft to do our SAR work.
                          When we had the S-61Ns due to there size, UK Coast Guard made more requests for them then we did for UK craft.
                          and we were more then happy to be able repay the goodwill shown to us by UK.
                          Long may the good work between the two counties continue.
                          Last edited by sofa; 19 January 2017, 00:15.

Comment

The issue above is going to go above the heads of 99% of people in the state. It's simply not relevant or important news. Aside from here, politics.ie and a few hard left sites - you are not going to hear people discussing this.

A Hercules landing in Shannon is quite a different prospect from a Typhoon landing in Dublin.

Comment

Working...
                            X