Timeline of Kit issue to the DF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apod View Post
    The 25B's were the old "Operational Boots" introduced in 1993/4.(See November 1994 An Cosantoir) These lasted up to 2001 when the Matterhorn Operational boots went on general issue.Replaced in 2004 by the Haix.
    The 24B's were the old Barrack Boots. Replaced for overseas use (UNMIL at First) in 2003 by the Magnum Amazons.The Amazons went on general issue as the "Barrack Boot Light operational" in 2006/7 and were replaced by the current Magnum Vipers around 2010/11.
    Those 25Bs you refer to... I remember a few lads from 4 Cav Sqn as far back as 1989 motoring about bks in an operational boot I'd never seen before. When I asked one of the Tprs, he told me they were on trial.

He was raving about how comfy they were and hoped they went on general issue (they didn't).
    These would have been of similar dimensions to the black Haix operational boots

As far as I recall, the 25Bs subsequently introduced were Irish made (I think by the crowd the other side of the fence from Aiken Barracks (JBS?)
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 29 June 2020, 12:31.
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

See page 23.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I had a pair of them, great boot, until the sole separated from the upper. Half way down the Comeraghs.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

the blackthorns?

Comment

Always like the look of those boots

Comment

Nope the boots I'm thinking of predated those ones
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                Nope the boots I'm thinking of predated those ones
                Picture??? There were about four or five trial variants and then two went on issue. The black lining square toed Blackthorn version and the maroon coloured lining, rounded toe Boylan version pictured in the link I posted. I was issued the Blackthorns. You couldn't wear them. The inside heel was a piece of smooth leather that didn't grip your foot. My heel would move up and down inside the heel cup rather than the boot moving with me. Horrendous. A sure fire route to terrible blisters.

My second issue of them had a cream coloured soft leather lining and were more comfortable but acted like a sponge in water and the lace loops were too close together over the instep, leading to not ever being able to tie them comfortably.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Picture???
                  Sorry nope. This would have been either 1989 or 1993 (was when I was on FTT in Longford anyway, as it was a 4 Cav guy I saw wearing them
                  Back then, when items were being trialed, it was generally the border units (27, 28, 29 Bns, 4 Cav Sqn) and the ARW who got handed the items to try out

He saw a couple of us eyeing them enviously, and said "yeh I know, they are on trial, hope they issue these, they are so comfortable..."

In appearance they were pretty close to the Haix operational boots

Comment

Seemed an appropriate place to drop this:

'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Combats? Webbing? In the 80s?
                      Yeah if you had the cash to buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                        Combats? Webbing? In the 80s?
                        Yeah if you had the cash to buy them.
                        Eastern Brigade na grohmiti....The South were obviously the poor cousin!!
                        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                          Nah, in the South the MPs were just more vigilant..

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                            Were only able to buy on Annual Training. Cooks made a nice tidy sideline there...

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                            Nah, in the South the MPs were just more vigilant..
                            That's b****cks anyway. 2 Bde MPs would be in your fkn ear, if they were let....

Comment

Working...
                            X