Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was in the FCA from '81 to '84 and saw a full Dublin company turn up at a major shoot in Kilworth, all clothed in new OGs,in 1983. We were collectively astonished as the standard story was that only Officers and NCOs got issued OGs and everyone else begged or bought worn ones from Regulars. When we asked the Dubs about how they all had new combats,they looked at us like we were oiks and took great pleasure at seeing us in well worn hand me downs and quite a few of us in army surplus American M65 jackets and para trousers. When they saw some of the real culchies turn up at the shoot in the old Battle Dress, they thought it was Dad's Army. We asked our CO to enquire and his answer was that the Dubs had clearly more power than the Cork units.

2. Likes batterysgt liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a time in the 80s when if you did manage to get your hands on irish OG combats you couldn't wear them without drawing the attention of some enthusiastic MP gate policemen every time you entered a barracks. Even though many of the jackets were actually the british jacket from the 1950s.
    Personally I wore a dutch combat jacket. More brown than green, with diagonal chest pockets, but it did the job.
    German army shirts were almost standard too.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

4. Likes GoneToTheCanner, batterysgt liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is kind of related...
    The Thumbnail photo and the people in them seem familiar to me somehow...
    Last edited by na grohmiti; 21st June 2020 at 18:22.

6. Thanks Flamingo, apod, Shaqra, Burt thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo, apod, Shaqra, Burt liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    The German parka,as well as being a street fashion item, was often worn in the FCA, along with German para boots, American para boots, sundry Doc Martins and the odd Dutch or Italian boots. Some lads wore British made berets, which happened to be close to our green shade but were a better fit for their size.

8. Likes Truck Driver, EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Some lads wore British made berets, which happened to be close to our green shade but were a better fit for their size.
    Might have been guilty of that offence myself at one stage...much better fit though.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    The German parka,as well as being a street fashion item, was often worn in the FCA, along with German para boots, American para boots, sundry Doc Martins and the odd Dutch or Italian boots. Some lads wore British made berets, which happened to be close to our green shade but were a better fit for their size.
    RE: Green German parkas - when I started secondary school in the mid 80s, they were popular items of wear for the autumnal Irish climate
    So much so that one day, some empty head decided that anyone without same jacket was getting bounced during the school day
    Not even the couple of lads who had the navy blue version were safe...
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

11. Likes Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always found it funny that we hated having to wear a "uniform" in school but we all had the same parka jackets

Post Thanks / Like
    How long were the Israeli style parka's issued for UNIFIL?
    Handy and coveted for winter trips but totally impractical for anything but standing in the cold.
    Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a time in the late 80s/early 90s where you wouldn't be seen in working dress without an izzie parka over it.
    Lost opportunity there. Made an ideal barrack jacket.

15. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    They were higly coveted but were invariably worn out, oil soaked and rarely lasted a winter. The later issue "ramp jacket", issued with the green fatigues, was better but not considered cool, Irish soldiers being fashion victims as much as any army.

Post Thanks / Like
    They were higly coveted but were invariably worn out, oil soaked and rarely lasted a winter. The later issue "ramp jacket", issued with the green fatigues, was better but not considered cool, Irish soldiers being fashion victims as much as any army.
    "Ramp Jacket"?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    We called them "ramp jackets" in Baldonnel, because the apron was called the ramp in there. It was the Army standard workwear for outdoors,basically a dark green waterproof three-quarter length jacket with reflective stripes on some and a permanent hood. They were meant to be worn with the green plaited bodywarmer/gilet,as part of the plain green fatigue/workwear. They were so rigid when new that you could zip them up and they would stand up on their own. They were as tough as a sailor's workjacket and probably one of the better issue jackets for outdoors.

19. Thanks Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We called them "ramp jackets" in Baldonnel, because the apron was called the ramp in there. It was the Army standard workwear for outdoors,basically a dark green waterproof three-quarter length jacket with reflective stripes on some and a permanent hood. They were meant to be worn with the green plaited bodywarmer/gilet,as part of the plain green fatigue/workwear. They were so rigid when new that you could zip them up and they would stand up on their own. They were as tough as a sailor's workjacket and probably one of the better issue jackets for outdoors.
    Don't suppose you have a pic?

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    back and side of C130 at EIME..jpg This is two lads wearing the ramp jacket as they check out a C130,in for an airshow.
    Last edited by GoneToTheCanner; 28th June 2020 at 18:59.

22. Thanks Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Likes Burt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Linky no worky
    "105,000 dead. 40,000,000 unemployed. Police murdering African-Americans. You’ve completed you’re mission. You’ve made America great. Now get the f**k out."

- Rob Reiner.

"Yes he's an idiot with zero common sense,and no social skills,but he IS my son.I just hope he never goes into politics.He'd be a disaster.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    try it now.

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    wasnt that the old raingear
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    We didnt have seperate waterproof leggings issued,but did have dungarees, in the style of modern Snickers workwear and this was part of the plain green fatigue wear that included the infamous "safari" jacket, the cravat and the baseball cap. It was a considerable improvement over wearing the No2 trousers as workwear. We also had the woolly pulley,as a replacement for the awful green jumper,which tended to disintegrate. We would often bring the ramp jacket to the range as it did a much better job at keeping the weather out. Army types tended to get a bit sniffy about AC clothing combinations, but we were more interested in staying warm and dry,so you got a wide variety of headgear, scarves, green jumpers,gloves, foreign boots and so on.

27. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember the folk in workshops and mechanics wore a shiney green type of dungarees, also available in shiney blue.
    It looked as if it was designed to repel oils rather than soak it in, and may have been flame retardant too. I have vague memories of the wearers also having a raincoat that was longer than the standard raincoat, resembling something you might wear in a milking parlour. If you saw one being worn on the range, the wearer was probably an armourer.

29. Likes GoneToTheCanner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    wasnt that the old raingear
    Was gonna say that

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    The 25B's were the old "Operational Boots" introduced in 1993/4.(See November 1994 An Cosantoir) These lasted up to 2001 when the Matterhorn Operational boots went on general issue.Replaced in 2004 by the Haix.
    The 24B's were the old Barrack Boots. Replaced for overseas use (UNMIL at First) in 2003 by the Magnum Amazons.The Amazons went on general issue as the "Barrack Boot Light operational" in 2006/7 and were replaced by the current Magnum Vipers around 2010/11.
    Those 25Bs you refer to... I remember a few lads from 4 Cav Sqn as far back as 1989 motoring about bks in an operational boot I'd never seen before. When I asked one of the Tprs, he told me they were on trial.

He was raving about how comfy they were and hoped they went on general issue (they didn't).
    These would have been of similar dimensions to the black Haix operational boots

As far as I recall, the 25Bs subsequently introduced were Irish made (I think by the crowd the other side of the fence from Aiken Barracks (JBS?)
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 29th June 2020 at 11:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    "105,000 dead. 40,000,000 unemployed. Police murdering African-Americans. You’ve completed you’re mission. You’ve made America great. Now get the f**k out."

- Rob Reiner.

"Yes he's an idiot with zero common sense,and no social skills,but he IS my son.I just hope he never goes into politics.He'd be a disaster.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a pair of them, great boot, until the sole separated from the upper. Half way down the Comeraghs.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    the blackthorns?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Always like the look of those boots

Thread Information