Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Nope the boots I'm thinking of predated those ones
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Nope the boots I'm thinking of predated those ones
    Picture??? There were about four or five trial variants and then two went on issue. The black lining square toed Blackthorn version and the maroon coloured lining, rounded toe Boylan version pictured in the link I posted. I was issued the Blackthorns. You couldn't wear them. The inside heel was a piece of smooth leather that didn't grip your foot. My heel would move up and down inside the heel cup rather than the boot moving with me. Horrendous. A sure fire route to terrible blisters.

My second issue of them had a cream coloured soft leather lining and were more comfortable but acted like a sponge in water and the lace loops were too close together over the instep, leading to not ever being able to tie them comfortably.
    "105,000 dead. 40,000,000 unemployed. Police murdering African-Americans. You’ve completed you’re mission. You’ve made America great. Now get the f**k out."

- Rob Reiner.

"Yes he's an idiot with zero common sense,and no social skills,but he IS my son.I just hope he never goes into politics.He'd be a disaster.

- Mary Anne Trump

#unfollowtrump

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Picture???
    Sorry nope. This would have been either 1989 or 1993 (was when I was on FTT in Longford anyway, as it was a 4 Cav guy I saw wearing them
    Back then, when items were being trialed, it was generally the border units (27, 28, 29 Bns, 4 Cav Sqn) and the ARW who got handed the items to try out

He saw a couple of us eyeing them enviously, and said "yeh I know, they are on trial, hope they issue these, they are so comfortable..."

In appearance they were pretty close to the Haix operational boots
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Thread Information