Defence Forces Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
    I'm not going to name the course but it's already condensed into a very short time frame with limitations on instructors and equipment. There wouldn't be time to catch up on the missed content if you missed a day. Course already has a very high RTU rate.

I've completed a recent RDF driving course and had to make up days for that. More than possible on said course and I passed but apples and oranges.
    Driving syllabii are extremely prescriptive on the amount of hours you have to spend behind the wheel

Comment

[QUOTE=Auldsod;472388]I'm not going to name the course but it's already condensed into a very short time frame with limitations on instructors and equipment. There wouldn't be time to catch up on the missed content if you missed a day. Course already has a very high RTU rate.

With the restrictions you say above, very short timeframe, limitations on instructors and equipment, very high RTU rate. Sounds like its poorly planned course for RDF but it might just be the way it must be, ar least it's going ahead.

Comment

[QUOTE=batterysgt;472392]
        Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
        I'm not going to name the course but it's already condensed into a very short time frame with limitations on instructors and equipment. There wouldn't be time to catch up on the missed content if you missed a day. Course already has a very high RTU rate.

With the restrictions you say above, very short timeframe, limitations on instructors and equipment, very high RTU rate. Sounds like its poorly planned course for RDF but it might just be the way it must be, ar least it's going ahead.
        As with anything we do, safety is a huge factor. Perhaps the balance between running something for the RDF in modularised form as opposed to running it FT like the PDF will result in an impect solution but at least course is being run!

I would counter that the course is well planned given the time possible to allocate to it.

Comment

Is it RDF or PDF instructors?

Comment

Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
            Is it RDF or PDF instructors?
            PDF.

Comment

The Department must take care of bringing employers on board to facilitate the release of Reservists for training. If we cannot do it or see the way forward then we shouldn't be in the business we are in.
              Basically and not to put too fine a point on it, the employers don't give a shit! The members of the reserve don't have options as hey do in the US or the UK, one could actually argue that reservists using their annual leave to part take in training are in breach of the working time act.

This was a huge discussion on this board back in the late 1990s / early noughties where a member argued the case against employers being obliged to facilitate annual training and with the benefit of age , I now see where he was coming from, that while employers can often absorb the cost of people being non available, some smaller businesses cannot manage without the actual people. Career suicide as was offered.

Outside urban centres without military posts , reservists are almost non existant. Clonmel in the past had three reserve corps represented in one backs, now..not a reservist living in the town. Simply not attractive or even an option.

So until you can recruit or offer favourable terms to the potential recruits its all just pie in the sky.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Defence Forces Review 2022​

Comment

Working...
                X