Defence Forces Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
    Took some time to read all, there are some excellent papers even if a bit weighted toward the latest fashion areas of Cyber and RPAS/UAV's. Lots of constructive conclusions to what need to be done but which as ever will fall on deaf ears.

Comment

Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
      There is no real limit I have seen plenty of RDF well over 28 days, if the training programme is submitted, correct, its rarely not approved. If the units does not submit the correct documentation, unfortunately a lot is, it will be rejected.
      He did say allow the UNIT CO to approve up to 28 days. Currently it's 7 days for Unit CO sign off. After that it's GOC/DOD level signoffs. Why do you think this would improve matters, Dev? Only difference immediately obvious to me is faster pay turnaround?
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
        He did say allow the UNIT CO to approve up to 28 days. Currently it's 7 days for Unit CO sign off. After that it's GOC/DOD level signoffs. Why do you think this would improve matters, Dev? Only difference immediately obvious to me is faster pay turnaround?
        Less bureaucracy
        Increased manday usage
        Less excuses not to pay people / allow people to do over 14 days

Comment

It's there if they really want it. My experience from within my unit and listening to out it is "some RDF " wont put in the tine and effort to move things on.

Comment

There are units who will approve everything manday going, units that will strictly limit everyone to 7/14 days, units that will refuse mandays as they can’t meet the manday approval timelines (eg you get 3 days notice of a week of doing something in some support of PDF you have already done 28 days and have to have manday approval 21 days in advance), units that refuse to process paperwork for anyone Doing over 28 mandays.

It isn’t set up to be user friendly

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
              The draft versions of revised R5 went to every government department for comment ffs the minister said as much in a PQ recently in a "completely missing the point"
              There is too much history hanging around our concept of Reserves and their origins in the LDF and Slua Muiri. Some effort should have been made to include elements, or even individuals in frontline operations ashore and at sea. The role of SM in Port Control was esoteric with no means of carrying out the Duty. When I was aged out in 1992, I got to write a last wisdom brief in which I said the SM must be used or disbanded. That's 28 years ago! What's different now!!

Comment

Port control is a non runner, training is done for it, but only seen when detailed to assist in local aquatic events. If security for visiting vessels is done, it is done by AGS water unit combined with NS assets.
                The modern NSR is providing a useful role doing duties on the base at weekends, or providing certain seamans branch crew.
                However, until NSR are qualified in all branches, at all ranks, their usefulness is token.
                There is still an absence of watch keeping officers. I only know of 2 in the entire service. One a master mariner who struggled for years for his ticket to be recognised (former artillery) and the other is a former NS officer.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                  Port control is a non runner, training is done for it, but only seen when detailed to assist in local aquatic events. If security for visiting vessels is done, it is done by AGS water unit combined with NS assets.
                  The modern NSR is providing a useful role doing duties on the base at weekends, or providing certain seamans branch crew.
                  However, until NSR are qualified in all branches, at all ranks, their usefulness is token.
                  There is still an absence of watch keeping officers. I only know of 2 in the entire service. One a master mariner who struggled for years for his ticket to be recognised (former artillery) and the other is a former NS officer.

I havent seen the NSR carry out duties in a good few years.

From what im led to believe, there were a number that didn't turn up for whatever reason leaving the Duty Watch short.

The uncertainty of having a full duty watch led to the ceasing of said duties.

Not sure that that qualifying all branches to the same level as NS personnel is possible.

I believe given adequate resources and training the NSR could carry out a limited coastal FP and SAR role.

Other NS taskings could be supported i.e. diving ops platform if the NSR get updated Motor Launches.

If the will is there on both sides, they could be a valuable asset to the NS,and they could benefit from real world operational experience.

At the moment as you said its a token effort covering certain ceremonial taskings.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                    There was 2 got there NWC in 2016

Comment

It would be of course impossible to qualify fully in the other branches of the NS. Then again, NSR personnel can only go far in the seaman's branch being able to possible cover the basic and intermediate task performed by an A/Sea.

I have wondered why a similarly basic level of training couldn't be achived as a Commop or Supply. There are AR CIS units and clearly they are never going to be able to spend the same time in role or go on the same courses as their PDF counterparts.

The NSR is receiving more opportunities of late with regards courses being run and training but it will need to prove itself. If even more fresh enthusiastic blood joins in the next few recruitment campaigns, who knows what could happen....

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                        It would be of course impossible to qualify fully in the other branches of the NS. Then again, NSR personnel can only go far in the seaman's branch being able to possible cover the basic and intermediate task performed by an A/Sea.

I have wondered why a similarly basic level of training couldn't be achived as a Commop or Supply. There are AR CIS units and clearly they are never going to be able to spend the same time in role or go on the same courses as their PDF counterparts.

The NSR is receiving more opportunities of late with regards courses being run and training but it will need to prove itself. If even more fresh enthusiastic blood joins in the next few recruitment campaigns, who knows what could happen....

The NS Commop training is fairly long in duration. 14 weeks basic followed by 12 weeks on the job + taskbook followed by another 4 weeks.

Thats 7 months full time training.

Is that achievable by an NSR member who only gets 14 odd mandays a year paid?.

Is there scope for a NSR specific Commop Course?.

Who would deliver it and what would it comprise of?.

Supplies should be a straightforward enough one so i wouldn't see many issues with that.

Comment

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                          The NS Commop training is fairly long in duration. 14 weeks basic followed by 12 weeks on the job + taskbook followed by another 4 weeks.

Thats 7 months full time training.

Is that achievable by an NSR member who only gets 14 odd mandays a year paid?.

Is there scope for a NSR specific Commop Course?.

Who would deliver it and what would it comprise of?.

Supplies should be a straightforward enough one so i wouldn't see many issues with that.
                          I'm not suggesting that that the NSR member be trained up to the same standard. Just that they can perform some of the basic dueties. of course it's not achievable.

I'm not AR but how do the reserve CIS units bring their soldiers up to the same PDF standard? I'm assuming they don't but it's acceptable because of the limitations of reserve service.

Comment

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                            I havent seen the NSR carry out duties in a good few years.

From what im led to believe, there were a number that didn't turn up for whatever reason leaving the Duty Watch short.

The uncertainty of having a full duty watch led to the ceasing of said duties.

I am always fascinated at this being used as an excuse not to use RDF. It is as if a member of the PDF never failed to turn up for a duty before and that contingency plans aren't in place to deal with just such an eventuality.

What would be interesting to add to this statement would be that the percentage of RDF members tasked with a duty that didn't show up. Is it 50%, 25%, 5% or did it just happen the once.
                            Last edited by Bravo20; 20 January 2020, 12:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                              I am always fascinated at this being used as an excuse not to use RDF. It is as if a member of the PDF never failed to turn up for a duty before and that contingency plans aren't in place to deal with just such an eventuality.

What would be interesting to add to this statement would be that the percentage of RDF members tasked with a duty that didn't show up. Is it 50%, 25%, 5% or did it just happen the once.
                              I'd also be interested to know if it was a once off thing or a reoccurence. In saying that, there are unreliable individuals in any organisation and there would be greater sanction for a PDF no show than an RDF member doing the same assuming there was no good reason for not showing.

Comment

True but in both instances lead to needing a replacement on the day.

Reservists can still be charged, while they are unlikely to be imprisoned or fined, it would still affect their career and promotion prospects. It would certainly impact on them being selected for any further duties. If I was tasked with providing a panel of reservists for duties, the quickest way off the panel would be not to turn up for the duty, I'd never select them again. There are a lot of dependable reservists out there who turn up when and where required.

Comment

Working...
                                X