Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking Forward/Loooking Back 2017/2018

I'll start

First full year in a new place, one that welcomed me with open arms, work programme as long as your arm and new courses and out helping people with real things

Depressing wait on promotions - is there really that few people in our DF HR and manpower - same thing seen in RDF recruitment "we're too busy cos we're doing PDF recruitment" - well let us do it then, it cant be any worse, as usual interfacing with pay is like a stone wall only I'd have torn the wall down by now

Looking forward again hopefully teaching some new people and working closely with PDF counterparts, I can see it getting every busier so thats satisfying.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Tbh my year was awful. First 4 months taken up with stp. Then nothing. Occasional weekend training which was cancelled or changed at short notice.
    Most of the ncos in my callsign have put in for transfers.
    For 2018 id like to see some recruits and some proper training. Also a plan which stays as proposed

Comment

Curates egg of a year. I spent New Years Eve last year in hospital after burning my right foot and after it got infected I spent a month in hospital needing a toe amputated and long term IV antibiotics. Spent from April to September getting my fitness level back up and learning how to run again and carry a rucksack.

End of November, a scar on my left foot flared up, and I've spent the last month in hospital having had a toe amputated on my left foot and long term IV antibiotics! So I guess I'm spending April- September learning how to run and carry a rucksack - again!

It won't happen next year - because I've run out of little toes!

Never mind, I shouldn't have joined if I can't take a joke!
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

wow! Curates egg doesn't quite cut it! get well soon!

Comment

SFC taking more and more effect

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
            Curates egg of a year. I spent New Years Eve last year in hospital after burning my right foot and after it got infected I spent a month in hospital needing a toe amputated and long term IV antibiotics. Spent from April to September getting my fitness level back up and learning how to run again and carry a rucksack.

End of November, a scar on my left foot flared up, and I've spent the last month in hospital having had a toe amputated on my left foot and long term IV antibiotics! So I guess I'm spending April- September learning how to run and carry a rucksack - again!

It won't happen next year - because I've run out of little toes!

Never mind, I shouldn't have joined if I can't take a joke!
            Is it too early for a “toe the line” comment?
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Thanks Hedgie! I'll put my best foot forward...

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                wow! Curates egg doesn't quite cut it! get well soon!
                Thanks! It wasn't all bad. There is nothing like spending time on a burns unit to make you realise you are not the only pillock in the world. Over the time I was there I saw six different people who had tried to light fires with petrol or white spirit, and one who had put a firecracker up his arrse and lit it...

Anyway, I'm sorry, I'm in danger of hijackng the thread, so carry on.
                Last edited by Flamingo; 1 January 2018, 13:13.

Comment

Been a dismal year for me.
                  STP soaked up all of our time - so i took a break - we are so short on privates that by the time the STP was done, they had ticked most of their KPIs and used up most of their mandays.
                  involved in 2 courses (1 is SIC 2 which is interesting and at least relative training that will be useful in my day job)
                  Heading at least temporarily to pastures new, cannot face another year of STP... for now at least.
                  Lets hope that this year is less depressing than last, or it may BE my last.
                  "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                    Been a dismal year for me.
                    STP soaked up all of our time - so i took a break - we are so short on privates that by the time the STP was done, they had ticked most of their KPIs and used up most of their mandays.
                    involved in 2 courses (1 is SIC 2 which is interesting and at least relative training that will be useful in my day job)
                    Heading at least temporarily to pastures new, cannot face another year of STP... for now at least.
                    Lets hope that this year is less depressing than last, or it may BE my last.
                    Stp?

Comment

Shooting Team Practice, for the all army
                      multiple weekends, full weeks of training with coaches etc
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Shooting Team Practice, for the all army
                        multiple weekends, full weeks of training with coaches etc
                        WHAT THE

come to the dark side where such bs is not tolerated.

Comment

What trellheim said!!!

Comment

every single time I have to be forcibly reminded of this dickery how the fk does that do anything for DF outputs

Comment

This is not a rant, I can understand it to a degree....

on a positive note it definitely improves marksmanship in everyone involved,
                              it builds team spirit and improves unit morale-
                              This is proven in that my callsign has either won or been in the finals at all disciplines in the last few years and in general those involved enjoy it.

On a negative note it decimates availability of troops for everything else for the remainder of the year.

when units were larger, this was just one form of participation during the year, units had whole teams of people who were engaged in competing... whilst they also had platoons worth of other troops who saved their time to soldier, do courses, hone infantry skills etc. now the guys who dont like getting their boots dirty can swan around for the rest of the year, not worrying about having to crawl around in muck covered in sheep sh*te and the rest of those who would like to, are just not turning up for anything since they've used all of their free time to participate in the competitions anyway, this includes butts operators as well as shooting team members.

Our full time comrades have trouble understanding this mentality since we "volunteer" and they are "tasked" ... its a hard place to be for some of us :( thus we look for transfers away to try to recapture what it means to actually train and feel at least a tiny bit like we are contributing positively to the reserve and the wider defence forces, for the taxes paid for us.

we're down to the bones numbers wise and its probably the only outlet for commanders etc to feel like they have something achievable at unit level.
                              Last edited by morpheus; 2 January 2018, 13:47.

Comment

Working...
                              X