Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual citizen interested in cadetship

Hello,

I am a dual Irish-American citizen who is interested in applying for cadetship in the defence forces. I grew up in the United States my whole life but I have always been drawn to the Irish Military due to their role in UN peacekeeping. My question was whether anyone had an experience with an Irish defence forces member who was also raised outside of Ireland? I am still a year away from applying to the next competition as I will be completing a masters degree but am fairly dead set on pursuing a career as an officer in the defence forces.I would really appreciate any insight on experiences with foreign born servicemen as I know it is a unique situation.

Hello.

have a read of this document from 2016

pay attention to this section:

A candidate for a Cadetship must:
    a. At the time of application:
    (1) be a citizen of Ireland; or,
    (2) be a refugee as defined under either the Refugee Act 1996 or the
    International Protection Act 2015; or, be a national of an European
    Economic Area State1
    or the Swiss Confederation; or,
    (3) be a national of any other State who is lawfully present in Ireland
    and has five (5) years lawful residence here2
    b. Satisfy the Minister for Defence as to character,
    c. Be 18 years of age or above and under 28 years of age on the closing date
    for receipt of applications, which for the 2016 competition is 17 April 2016
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Thank you for the response! My question was not regarding whether or not I am eligible as I am a citizen of Ireland. It was more in regard to whether or not there were any other people in the thread who are in a similar situation as me in that they were not brought up in Ireland but are in the defence forces. In any case I appreciate the link!

Comment

Thank you for your response. My question was not in regards to eligibility as I am a citizen of Ireland it was just seeking out whether or not there is anyone else in this forum who was brought up outside of Ireland and is currently in the defence forces.

Comment

are you currently resident in Ireland?

Comment

I go to college in the United States but will be most likely completing my masters in Ireland so will be moving there shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              I go to college in the United States but will be most likely completing my masters in Ireland so will be moving there shortly.
              Ok, just going straight into Irish society (being the Cadet School (and DF)) could be a bit of a culture shock

For the last number of years the Cadet School have been training Maltese cadets but they are only here for 15 months

Comment

I don't believe you'll be able to join any army with dual citizenship, the Israelis might be ok with it but they'd be the only ones.
                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

I was already in contact with the recruitment services as long as I'm a citizen of Ireland it is deemed ok.

Comment

Oh I never heard that before. I actually did more research after posting this and saw that a Scottish soldier decided to join the Irish military due to her desire to pursue peacekeeping as well implying that it has been done before. I did move to France when I was 10 and lived there for an extensive period of time so I do have experience of culture shock haha. My parents also live in Cork currently so I have been able to experience Ireland enough to know that I would be perfectly ok living there. That said, I do understand that it might be a challenge leading people as an officer in a military where I would obviously stand out. Here is the link talking about the Scottish cadet who I would presume is still serving as she was part of a recent class. http://www.thejournal.ie/defence-for...74058-Jan2016/ I also really appreciate the insight!

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                      I don't believe you'll be able to join any army with dual citizenship, the Israelis might be ok with it but they'd be the only ones.
                      There are no restrictions on having citizenship elsewhere. You are never asked if you have other citizenship other than Irish. The criteria that must be satisfied in terms of citizenship is spelled out in post #2 above

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                        Also here is a link I found to be cool that I just sent to DeV on a Scottish soldier with no apparent link to Ireland. It helped soothe some of my fears about the prospect of being a "different" cadet haha.

Comment

Thank you for your response. My question was not in regards to eligibility as I am a citizen of Ireland it was just seeking out whether or not there is anyone else in this forum who was brought up outside of Ireland and is currently in the defence forces.
                          Just realized I repeated myself sorry about that lol!

Comment

Also here is a link I found to be cool that I just sent to DeV on a Scottish soldier with no apparent link to Ireland. It helped soothe some of my fears about the prospect of being a "different" cadet haha.
                            You would be different and if you are worried about being different then maybe you need to rethink your decision. That being said the current classes are so big it would be easy to hide

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
                              You would be different and if you are worried about being different then maybe you need to rethink your decision. That being said the current classes are so big it would be easy to hide
                              Haha very true. I'm not too concerned about being different I just understand my situation is unique and is looked upon in variety of ways so was just trying to ask if anyone else was in a similar situation as me. That said if I am successful in obtaining cadetship and eventually commission I know I'll be dealing with the question "why didn't you just join the American military?" the rest of my career lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X