Operation Seabright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Seabright

The Government has awarded a distinguished service medal and two commendations to three officers of the Naval Service for their roles in Operation Seabight.

1 DSM and 2 Commendations awarded to the NS today

Seabight. Named after the Porcupine Seabight.
    Delighted for Geno Ryan. There was a huge amount of technical work went into tracking the movement of the yacht, from Trinidad, and gathering the technical evidence afterwards to secure a prosecution, not only of the boats crew, but of the masterminds of the smuggling operation.
    Cdr Ryan (rtd) wrote about the action in Signal Magazine.

(page38).
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Thanks for the link Na G, that signal article was quiet informative.

Am I wrong in my reading of the situation:

A senior Naval Official Officer [ and by all accounts a decent bloke], gave orders to others and got a medal for his distinguished service.

Whilst many miles away at sea in waves that were rough and six meters high a boarding party set sail and boarded the vessel of suspected drug dealers ( you know the lads who kill one another.), the boarding party got f Uck all in the way of medals.

Ryan in his article did refer to the lads who went out in a stormy rough sea at night with waves 6 meters high who were ready to risk taking on f Uck Ing drug smugglers as “ the NS boarding party did what they were trained to do”

Why did Ryan get the DSM, why the f uchk didn’t every one on the boarding party get it.

If I read the thing wrong and Cmdr Ryan drove the boarding parties boat, was first onto the druggie vessel, disarmed the druggies and was home in time for tea, then I’ll delete this post and apologize to the man.

I really thought shite like this stopped.
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

No you have read it wrong. The Officer on the boarding boat got the DSM while the other two in charge got commendations.
        The photo in the article attached gives a clearer photo.
        A ceremony to award a Distinguished Service Medal (DSM) medal and commendations to members of the Naval Service. The awards

Comment

Really depends on the citation

Remembering of course that this is a DSM, which can of course be awarded for leadership

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
            No you have read it wrong. The Officer on the boarding boat got the DSM while the other two in charge got commendations.
            The photo in the article attached gives a clearer photo.
            http://emergencytimes.com/defence-fo...ion-operation/
            I got it slightly wrong mate. Ryan got a commendation for giving orders, Brett got a commendation for [?] and the boarding party officer must have been the only one to ride the rough 6 meter seas and board the smugglers vessel. Why did no enlisted personnel get the DSM, did they not display bravery, courage and devotion to duty.

It sickens me that this crap is still going on.

Comment

Lt Cdr Brett was OC of one of the vessels and on scene commander. Cdr Retired planned the operation. He followed it through the courts in ireland and the UK and helped put many in jail for a very long time.
              The Boarding party officer would have been first off the RhIB. The others in the boat may have been recommended for many things but the award is what it is. It is not unusual in the NS unfortunately.
              All 3 deserved what they got, in my opinion.
              DSM for first in the door.
              Scroll saying "well done" to officers in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                Lt Cdr Brett was OC of one of the vessels and on scene commander. Cdr Retired planned the operation. He followed it through the courts in ireland and the UK and helped put many in jail for a very long time.
                The Boarding party officer would have been first off the RhIB. The others in the boat may have been recommended for many things but the award is what it is. It is not unusual in the NS unfortunately.
                All 3 deserved what they got, in my opinion.
                DSM for first in the door.
                Scroll saying "well done" to officers in the background.
                It’s a distinguished service medal. How did the OIC boarding party exemplify that distinguish criteria more than no 2in the door or more than the last person in the door.

Otherwise he simply got it because he is an officer.

There was at least 12 people on that detail, how come the 3 who get the brownie points are officers.

Did not 1enlisted person distinguish himself / herself during that op

Comment

By the way, from what I heard, the 3 Officers are thoroughly decent blokes and good officers.

Comment

In The past the Boat drivers etc. got the medals.

To my mind in this case medals were given out for doing a days work.

Our awards system is that which is at fault and not the guys.

In this case a unit citation should have been awarded to the crew as the whole crew have a part to play in every operation.

I'm with Hedgie on this one.

Again the DSM is now an award whose merit has been undermined because of the way it has been handed out.

I'm sue the guys involved would have preferred a pay rise!
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I have it on good authority that this award was not possible whilst a certain former FOCNS now employed elsewhere in the DF was FOCNS. Something along the lines of not wanting more DSMs in the NS to dilute the value of his own

Comment

All at the front edge should have been awarded. Those following orders necessitating hazardous duty which could have included armed resistance are all equally deserving. The boats crew may have been recommended but chance then takes over. J. Cotter nonetheless deserves his medal, the boats crew were also glorious in naval terms. If it were me they would have have been recommended.

Comment

I shit myself at the thought of crossing a body of water- I couldn't even estimate the bravery of lads getting into a small speed boat in rough seas that measure 6 metres.

Nor could I even come close to the genius or guile required to plan an operation like this.

They are all better sea hags than I am. and that's Officers and Enlisted ( so this isn't a them v us rant),

I genuinely cant see why everyone of the boarding party (brave bollixes) didn't get some sort of recognition whether it be DSM or scabby commendation and I would hope if I was still serving that I would have the balls to realise that if a DSM only related to Officers then the DSM is being purposely devalued.

If you don't believe me- remember that great warrior screaming Jim Shit Shreenan was awarded the DSM.

Comment

Whats the strength of a boarding party?

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                              I shit myself at the thought of crossing a body of water- I couldn't even estimate the bravery of lads getting into a small speed boat in rough seas that measure 6 metres.

Nor could I even come close to the genius or guile required to plan an operation like this.

They are all better sea hags than I am. and that's Officers and Enlisted ( so this isn't a them v us rant),

I genuinely cant see why everyone of the boarding party (brave bollixes) didn't get some sort of recognition whether it be DSM or scabby commendation and I would hope if I was still serving that I would have the balls to realise that if a DSM only related to Officers then the DSM is being purposely devalued.

If you don't believe me- remember that great warrior screaming Jim Shit Shreenan was awarded the DSM.
                              Shreenan got his DSM for having been COS. The man was a bully and not what we seek from a modern leader but there is no denying that anyone that becomes COS has had distinguished service. Should there be mire DSMs issued? Yes but not a quota which would devalue the award

Comment

Working...
                              X