No announcement yet.

CASA Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Italian P-72A has been lurking around Bal for the last few days and appears it may have conducted a demo patrol: http://baldonnel-eime.blogspot.com/2...62019.html?m=1

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
      An Italian P-72A has been lurking around Bal for the last few days and appears it may have conducted a demo patrol: http://baldonnel-eime.blogspot.com/2...62019.html?m=1
      I remember around the time the Casa was being selected, the type was being mooted as the new Mpa. There was even one on the static line at the Bal airshow in 2000.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• There was a time when manufacturers would cram any old shite into a turboprop, give it a coat of grey or blue paint and call it an MPA, regardless of whether the airframe was adequately protected against salt-laden atmospheres and strong enough to survive the kind of low level battering that ages an airframe in short order. I await the announcement of an ATR with a ramp, to compete against the Casa...

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
          There was a time when manufacturers would cram any old shite into a turboprop, give it a coat of grey or blue paint and call it an MPA, regardless of whether the airframe was adequately protected against salt-laden atmospheres and strong enough to survive the kind of low level battering that ages an airframe in short order. I await the announcement of an ATR with a ramp, to compete against the Casa...
          Waiting for a ramp, will be like waiting for the AC to get F35's, it just is not going to happen.
          Airbus has the ATR's for civilian transport and the C-295 for all grey operations.

Comment

• I thought the ATRs where Leonardo, so it would be the C27 for the ramp.
            And since the purse holders want multi role aircraft, they are not going to sign off on two types of aircraft when they can get one that does both jobs.
            It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
            It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
            It was a new age...It was the end of history.
            It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post
              I thought the ATRs where Leonardo, so it would be the C27 for the ramp.
              And since the purse holders want multi role aircraft, they are not going to sign off on two types of aircraft when they can get one that does both jobs.
              ATR is a joint venture of Airbus and Leonardo: both of which have ramp equipped aircraft. Is meant to be a 50:50 partnership but HQ in France, so.......

Comment

• Saw the P72 out and about around Naas on Tuesday and Wednesday... definitely a bit too low for the Stobart Air ones to be flying at... Seems to have a great equipment fit, with a super cool searchlight. Thanks to N7777G on boards.ie for posting some pics

* https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057991471

Unless there's a move to acquire something bigger for the transport task, which is pretty well defined in the spec for this replacement, it would sound like we'll only be getting one aircraft type. C295 or C27 would seem to be it really, and although there is an MC27 special missions aircraft (not sure what stage it's at), looks like the CASA has it really. For the annoraks, there was a mooted ATR 52C in the 1990s with a cargo ramp, but nothing came of it as far as I'm aware

* https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightP...20-%200265.PDF

Comment

• An article from 2015 on a French aviation blog on CASA ops, entirely the authors own thoughts I'd say, but a good Friday afternoon read

Encyclopédie de l'aviation militaire et actualités de l'aéronautique de défense, mais aussi des dossiers, biographies et reportages aéronautiques...

Comment

• You'd wonder why ATR feel confident about stepping into Casa's well established MPA territory.

Comment

• At a guess, I'd say the optics of the ATR beating the 295 in a country that's operated the 235 for 25 years or so, would be of note to other potential customers.

But they would have to make it a hell of a deal.

I note that they've installed a side door that can open in mid air to drop rafts, flares etc. Not sure if it's viable for para ops.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                        At a guess, I'd say the optics of the ATR beating the 295 in a country that's operated the 235 for 25 years or so, would be of note to other potential customers.

But they would have to make it a hell of a deal.

I note that they've installed a side door that can open in mid air to drop rafts, flares etc. Not sure if it's viable for para ops.
                        Buy 2, get a C27 free?
                        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• The ATR does have a number of advantages: a) due to the large number of civilian versions sold the unit cost of the airframe is low, b) the ATR72 as used by Italy in a MPA role has a much larger cabin c) higher cruise speed. However it lacks the flexibility of the C-295 ramp which allows easier cargo handling.

But the visit may not have been for the airframe but for the mission systems fitted to the aircraft. Leonardo have being trying to sell the MC-27J as a MPA aircraft but I have not yet seen one fitted with a full MPA mission system. Showing an ATR MPA with the same system would make sense as we already know the FITS that would come with a C-295, unless of course we follow form and go for something totally bespoked!!!

Comment

• DoD have selected preferred bidder (not revealed)

Don Lavery says it is C295

Comment

• Don has great connections and though retired, rarely gets it wrong.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Wonder how long the time before delivery?

Comment

Working...
                                X