Thanks Thanks:  87
Likes Likes:  184
Dislikes Dislikes:  11
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTU View Post
    I thought the ATRs where Leonardo, so it would be the C27 for the ramp.
    And since the purse holders want multi role aircraft, they are not going to sign off on two types of aircraft when they can get one that does both jobs.
    ATR is a joint venture of Airbus and Leonardo: both of which have ramp equipped aircraft. Is meant to be a 50:50 partnership but HQ in France, so.......

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw the P72 out and about around Naas on Tuesday and Wednesday... definitely a bit too low for the Stobart Air ones to be flying at... Seems to have a great equipment fit, with a super cool searchlight. Thanks to N7777G on boards.ie for posting some pics

* https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057991471

Unless there's a move to acquire something bigger for the transport task, which is pretty well defined in the spec for this replacement, it would sound like we'll only be getting one aircraft type. C295 or C27 would seem to be it really, and although there is an MC27 special missions aircraft (not sure what stage it's at), looks like the CASA has it really. For the annoraks, there was a mooted ATR 52C in the 1990s with a cargo ramp, but nothing came of it as far as I'm aware

* https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightP...20-%200265.PDF

3. Thanks DeV, Shaqra thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    An article from 2015 on a French aviation blog on CASA ops, entirely the authors own thoughts I'd say, but a good Friday afternoon read

https://translate.google.com/transla...2Fpage%2F10%2F

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'd wonder why ATR feel confident about stepping into Casa's well established MPA territory.

Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    At a guess, I'd say the optics of the ATR beating the 295 in a country that's operated the 235 for 25 years or so, would be of note to other potential customers.

But they would have to make it a hell of a deal.

I note that they've installed a side door that can open in mid air to drop rafts, flares etc. Not sure if it's viable for para ops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pym View Post
    At a guess, I'd say the optics of the ATR beating the 295 in a country that's operated the 235 for 25 years or so, would be of note to other potential customers.

But they would have to make it a hell of a deal.

I note that they've installed a side door that can open in mid air to drop rafts, flares etc. Not sure if it's viable for para ops.
    Buy 2, get a C27 free?
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed! I mean, annihilation's bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

8. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ATR does have a number of advantages: a) due to the large number of civilian versions sold the unit cost of the airframe is low, b) the ATR72 as used by Italy in a MPA role has a much larger cabin c) higher cruise speed. However it lacks the flexibility of the C-295 ramp which allows easier cargo handling.

But the visit may not have been for the airframe but for the mission systems fitted to the aircraft. Leonardo have being trying to sell the MC-27J as a MPA aircraft but I have not yet seen one fitted with a full MPA mission system. Showing an ATR MPA with the same system would make sense as we already know the FITS that would come with a C-295, unless of course we follow form and go for something totally bespoked!!!

10. Likes DeV, na grohmiti, Turkey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://twitter.com/donlav/status/11...420878856?s=21

DoD have selected preferred bidder (not revealed)

Don Lavery says it is C295

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don has great connections and though retired, rarely gets it wrong.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

13. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder how long the time before delivery?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the RFP stage, hasn’t gone to RFT (stage 2) yet afaik

16. Thanks meridian thanked for this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    When an individual or a party orders an aircraft, they are essentially buying a slot on the production line. After all the handshakes and photographs are done, the manufacturer and the buyer get down to the serious business of actually specifying the genuine fit out (sometimes, the RFP is a bit of educated guesswork) and the real world cost of buying a low-volume run of two or three aircraft. You don't get the production slot unless you have put down at least 10 or 20 % to confirm the order and they won't cut metal until more money is placed in a secure account, to prove that you are serious about buying the aircraft. Some of the haggling that goes on for aircraft sales wouldn't be unfamiliar to a horse dealer at Ballinasloe Fair. Production slots are also traded (kind of like millionaires buying and selling unbuilt Ferraris) and it's not unknown for a manufacturer to shunt a smaller buyer to the back of the queue to satisfy a larger deal for a bigger customer. So, the Casa you get on Day 1 may not be exactly what you ordered and really wanted by the aircrew and mechs, but it may have to do until the Mk 2 or 3 clears testing and actually flies and gets delivered. It's very interesting when you get behind the facade of glamourous photo ops and advertising brochures to see what really goes on.

18. Thanks meridian thanked for this post
    Likes CTU, Flamingo, na grohmiti, hptmurphy liked this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    The UK swapped production slots of the F-35 with Israel - they wanted airframes asap, we didn't need them at that point because a) we were inbedded in the US testing programme and were getting crew training for free, and b) the carrier's weren't ready to take them. Both sides happy...

20. Thanks na grohmiti, Orion, sofa, Shaqra thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo, GoneToTheCanner, hptmurphy liked this post

Thread Information