Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41
  1. #26
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    4,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would it be unfeasible to convert it to a floating accommodation block? After all, some facilities must already be in board.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  2. #27
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,725
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is, but assuming you are going to connect to shore supply, you still need a staff aboard to ensure the other machinery is maintained, as well as having somewhere to park it. If rumours are true, space within the basin will be an issue in years to come
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  3. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  4. #28
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with keeping vessels in service until they are on the verge of sinking is the Minister will then assume that your NS is happy with aging ships and will not renew them, in the fashion of decades of neglect of past Naval ships. As for selling them off, well, they got paid what the market dictated it was worth and the money is being used to fund Dail printers. Keeping old vessels for training means you fill up the limited space in the Base with scarcely usable ships like the old Setanta. As for who gets to use them afterwards, well, that's the way of the world. People are having a moan about one Irish ship that ends up in semi-dodgy hands. Well, so what. Compared to what the countries of Eastern Europe and Russia have dumped into Africa and Asia, one small ship is of no consequence whatsoever. Our friends in Europe will happily sell first-class weapons to anyone who comes calling with a big enough brown envelope, as can be seen in the war in Yemen. Quite frankly, Ireland's conscience is clean on this one.

  5. Thanks DeV, Herald thanked for this post
    Likes Sparky42, DeV, CTU, Flamingo, sofa, Herald, hptmurphy, Tempest liked this post
  6. #29
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    24,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    If she was used as a dive site people imagine the solicitors rubbing their hands with glee for The claims

  7. #30
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,921
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Would it be unfeasible to convert it to a floating accommodation block? After all, some facilities must already be in board.
    Crews won't live on existing vessels…..never mind ships converted to accom purposes
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

  8. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  9. #31
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Crews won't live on existing vessels…..never mind ships converted to accom purposes
    I agree, for all the reasons mentioned, that it would be a bad idea from an accountancy and a manning point of view- fire, sanitation, space in dockyard, maintenance and running power, pumps etc. In the old days Black Prince was at its own pier in Ringaskiddy /Monkstown. We gave it all away and we just have one little island not big enough for it's future needs when the 2% budget comes home.

  10. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy liked this post
  11. #32
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    it also begs the question, why doesnt the NS have a base elsewhere? Even the Don had two!

  12. #33
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,725
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does Rathmullan count?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  13. #34
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    it also begs the question, why doesnt the NS have a base elsewhere? Even the Don had two!
    There were a number of Naval ports in use in the early 20th century, including Killybegs, Bear island, Dunlaoghaire. We do need another Naval base with alongside berths, shore installations, fuel tanks, and acceptable accommodation. In any event a port of refuge is needed, if you have to reposition assets in a conflict or emergency situation. The Defence forces have never acquired a predictive outlook and plan for the inevitable. The relinquishing of Defence lands all over the country has painted us into a corner with the Curragh as the last Bastion for the Army, while the Navy are squeezed by loss of harbour property and an ongoing encroachment by the CHB.

  14. #35
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    There were a number of Naval ports in use in the early 20th century, including Killybegs, Bear island, Dunlaoghaire. We do need another Naval base with alongside berths, shore installations, fuel tanks, and acceptable accommodation. In any event a port of refuge is needed, if you have to reposition assets in a conflict or emergency situation. The Defence forces have never acquired a predictive outlook and plan for the inevitable. The relinquishing of Defence lands all over the country has painted us into a corner with the Curragh as the last Bastion for the Army, while the Navy are squeezed by loss of harbour property and an ongoing encroachment by the CHB.
    Now our mandarins have augmented the use of our only Naval Base, squeezed by Harbour developments, by adding an Amenity/Play Park to it's Naval Dockyard. So now Haulbowline is , in geographic order, a Crematorium, Naval Base and Dockyard, and Public Amenity Park, all using the same bridge access. I wonder who is in charge of Strategic thinking!!!

  15. #36
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    24,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Now our mandarins have augmented the use of our only Naval Base, squeezed by Harbour developments, by adding an Amenity/Play Park to it's Naval Dockyard. So now Haulbowline is , in geographic order, a Crematorium, Naval Base and Dockyard, and Public Amenity Park, all using the same bridge access. I wonder who is in charge of Strategic thinking!!!
    What use could the DF had put the now park?

  16. Likes CTU liked this post
  17. #37
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    What use could the DF had put the now park?
    Right now nothing, other than knowing it is cleaned up and could be used for the maintenance of a fitness regime at large. Later for allowing a major step like widening the basin, building further stores, and technical buildings, including a Dockyard HQ.

  18. Likes EUFighter liked this post
  19. #38
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,725
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a chance. That is a green field site for at least the next centenary. Anyone considering breaking ground there does so risking exposure of toxic by products, which they have spent the last few years going to lots of trouble keeping them below the subsoil and out of the atmosphere.
    Those who work on the island will have a nice park to take their lunchtime run, an alternative to crossing the bridge.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  20. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes CTU, DeV liked this post
  21. #39
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Not a chance. That is a green field site for at least the next centenary. Anyone considering breaking ground there does so risking exposure of toxic by products, which they have spent the last few years going to lots of trouble keeping them below the subsoil and out of the atmosphere.
    Those who work on the island will have a nice park to take their lunchtime run, an alternative to crossing the bridge.
    The only way to use such a site is bury it deep with cleaner materials. If, say ,widening the East wall by moving it 350 feet eastwards then all that material could be spread over the present remediated area. New buildings could be built on drill hole piles that are rafted together, and services could be run in the new added top layers. In the meantime it could be a recreational facility. Right now it gets waterlogged in part.

  22. #40
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,725
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The only way to use such a site is bury it deep with cleaner materials. If, say ,widening the East wall by moving it 350 feet eastwards then all that material could be spread over the present remediated area. New buildings could be built on drill hole piles that are rafted together, and services could be run in the new added top layers. In the meantime it could be a recreational facility. Right now it gets waterlogged in part.
    The remediation dealt with the pools.
    I fear though it will become like the other park on a dump in Cork, which is inaccessible most of the time, and impossible to access as pedestrians, due to one locked gate.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  23. #41
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    The remediation dealt with the pools.
    I fear though it will become like the other park on a dump in Cork, which is inaccessible most of the time, and impossible to access as pedestrians, due to one locked gate.
    Duty of care always applies. Dept of Lands or whoever must ensure safety on the Sea boundary and surface integrity etc

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •