No announcement yet.

Pilatus PC-12 NG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PC12s (3) will have significant ISTAR fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
      Does anybody know what the electronic outfit will be? Kehoe has been crowing about it, but my understanding is that it fundamentally is only a video pod?
      see post #213

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
        see post #213
        Yup, had a look at it and also the U-28A. Sorry, this is a camera ball with the electronics required to operate it and the necessary navigation and comms. Nothing 'significant' about it. What I'd like to see is something like the Hensoldt PrecISR™ radar ( https://www.hensoldt.net/news/hensol...ar-to-qinetiq/ ) and some SIGINT kit. I'll agree that is way ahead to what the AC is used to, but it is still pitiful. :(

Comment

• It's a long way from a Cessna 172 with a 46 in the back, and a 46 operator with a pair of binoculars.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
            Will the PC12M ever be deployed on overseas missions in an ISR role?
            Will the PC12M be able/allowed fly over water for Maritime ISR tasks?
            If the PC12M is flying ISR missions over Ireland, then the vast majority of time it will be in support of ATCP.
            Soooo. When will the PC-12M be deployed to support Operation IRINI??

Benign environment - check
            Operating out of Italy/Malta - Check

Oh wait, it's only got one engine - my bad

Comment

Soooo. When will the PC-12M be deployed to support Operation IRINI??

Benign environment - check
              Operating out of Italy/Malta - Check

Oh wait, it's only got one engine - my bad
              Not really an issue, there is more to flights over water than having 2 engines. Granted 2 help, but how do you think the one in service got here? (hint: it didn't take the ferry)

Comment

• I assume there is a difference in conducting patrols versus delivery flights

Comment

I assume there is a difference in conducting patrols versus delivery flights
                  So do you think someone needs to tell the USN that their new fighter can't operate from their carriers due to only having one engine? Or the Norwegians shadowing Russia flights in F-16's?

Comment

• SW3 MERLIN III

An - 28B1R BRYZA

P3C ORION

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                      Yup, had a look at it and also the U-28A. Sorry, this is a camera ball with the electronics required to operate it and the necessary navigation and comms. Nothing 'significant' about it. What I'd like to see is something like the Hensoldt PrecISR™ radar ( https://www.hensoldt.net/news/hensol...ar-to-qinetiq/ ) and some SIGINT kit. I'll agree that is way ahead to what the AC is used to, but it is still pitiful. :(
                      Apologies for the stupid question but would each of the aircraft have to go to the States just to have "a camera ball with the electronics required to operate it and the necessary navigation and comms. Nothing 'significant' about it." fitted?

Apologies but I know even less about these things than the minister

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                        So do you think someone needs to tell the USN that their new fighter can't operate from their carriers due to only having one engine? Or the Norwegians shadowing Russia flights in F-16's?
                        So tell me that the PC-12M will be used for Maritime ISR off shore then. (+50nm)

Comment

So tell me that the PC-12M will be used for Maritime ISR off shore then. (+50nm)
                          How can I tell you what the taskings of them will be, I'm just pointing out that we have one engine designs flying right now without major issues, why shouldn't the PC-12 be any different?

Comment

Last edited by Soarhead2; 14 March 2024, 18:11.

Comment

• I see the DoD turned down a second PC12 when offered it

The Government was offered a special deal to buy two new aircraft for more than €8m but opted to buy only one amid concerns including a shortage of available hangar space.

Revealed: how Government bought €5.23m aircraft during crisis under special EU rules

July 19 2020 02:30 AM
                              The Government was offered a special deal to buy two new aircraft for more than €8m but opted to buy only one amid concerns including a shortage of available hangar space.

The new Pilatus PC-12 NG was purchased in March under special EU rules that allow normal procurement practices to be put aside in "crisis situations".

Among the reasons put forward for its purchase were maintenance concerns around the government Learjet and the fact that two other Air Corps planes had amassed more flying hours than almost any comparable aircraft in the world. Internal Department of Defence records reveal concerns were raised about how the Taoiseach and other senior ministers would be able to leave the country at short notice given the lack of available State aircraft.

A "security sensitive" briefing note - which has been released under FOI - said emergency travel might be required arising from the Covid-19 pandemic or other "Brexit-related travel".

The note said: "Commercial travel in the current developing situations may be unavailable, unreliable, insecure or too risky to contemplate."

The Department of Defence had been offered two of the PC-12 aircraft by Pilatus for around €4.3m each, before VAT, and were told they were ready for immediate delivery.

A business case was put forward for acquiring both of the planes, either by purchase or through a lease arrangement. The document outlined how EU laws allowed for the "award of certain contracts at speed in an emergency situation" such as the Covid-19 pandemic.

Internal emails show the Secretary General of the Department of Defence was "comfortable" with the idea of acquiring one new aircraft but "not necessarily convinced" of the rationale for two.

A later business case said one aircraft - purchased for €5.23m including VAT - would actually be better because of restricted hangar space available at Casement Aerodrome in Dublin.

It also said purchase of both planes "would impact on pilot availability, particularly in light of pilot training requirements".

A spokeswoman for the Department of Defence said the new Pilatus airplane had been bought to "provide very immediate additional fixed wing capacity, and enhanced contingent capability, to meet the unique situation arising from the Covid-19 pandemic".

Sunday Independent
                              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Quinn strikes again. Shortage of Hangar space? Really? Is that what has been keeping our Air Corps so small all these years? It is a shame there is no spare space where new Hangars could be built anywhere within the blue railings.
                                Where are the 3 new ones going to go when they arrive?

The RAF had the same problem when they decided to buy new P8 aircraft and decided to cancel the order.

OH WAIT, THEY BUILT NEW HANGARS!

Comment

Working...
                                X