Thanks Thanks:  229
Likes Likes:  508
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://flyinginireland.com/2020/04/...oday%EF%BB%BF/

Strange to have “280” on a aircraft without roundrel but it says “Strengthen the nation” on it

And of course that means there is now 2 x “280”

April fools??

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting that there'd be 2 x 280 serials, maybe a re-reg of one at a later date? As for the April Fools, good catch, but having it arrive on April 1st would have made it better.

Flight radar shows HB-FXT PCH868 coming in a NW direction up over Dover direction about now. Make of it what you will

3. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Tempest liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure it will be just as easy to change the original 280 to 283 without upsetting anyone. Except maybe the person who paints on the numbers.
    It'll provide an interesting tale for aerosexuals in years to come.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

5. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Interesting that there'd be 2 x 280 serials, maybe a re-reg of one at a later date? As for the April Fools, good catch, but having it arrive on April 1st would have made it better.

Flight radar shows HB-FXT PCH868 coming in a NW direction up over Dover direction about now. Make of it what you will
    Seen that

Maybe it’s leased until the AC ones are delivered and could be just for training, VIP and CASEVAC

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Seen that

Maybe it’s leased until the AC ones are delivered and could be just for training, VIP and CASEVAC
    Or.....
    (I'm stuck at home)
    Maybe this IS the original 280, back from being kitted out with all its sneaky beaky kit, but repainted to look like a standard civvy PC12. Perfect for covert surveillance...

8. Likes ODIN, DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed in one of the Tweets a mention of an offer of more Helicopters? Being said on the 1st April did make me sceptical.

It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
    It was the year everything changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected on possible April fools

Quote Originally Posted by CTU View Post
    I noticed in one of the Tweets a mention of an offer of more Helicopters? Being said on the 1st April did make me sceptical.

That’s a suggestion that more helicopters would be better not an offer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post

That’s a suggestion that more helicopters would be better not an offer
    Don lavery's response suggests someone mentioned an offer of more Helicopters to him, maybe its true or maybe someone is pulling legs?*

The fixed wing side are determined to hold on to their airframes, after being offered more helis
    *I am of course not suggesting that Don Lavery is the one who may be pulling legs, as his Exclusives have been correct on recent air corps procurements.
    It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
    It was the year everything changed.

12. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    PC-12NG "280" SN1898 HB-FXT arrived today at Bal, Air Forces Monthly reported on it carrying out a pre delivery flight before leaving for Casement, it is an addition to the fleet which will add to the 3 already on order & says the one that arrived today will take the serial 280, and the next 3 which are currently in Colorado at Rocky Mountain Airport will be 281,282,283.

14. Thanks na grohmiti, Flamingo, DeV thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian McGrath View Post
    PC-12NG "280" SN1898 HB-FXT arrived today at Bal, Air Forces Monthly reported on it carrying out a pre delivery flight before leaving for Casement, it is an addition to the fleet which will add to the 3 already on order & says the one that arrived today will take the serial 280, and the next 3 which are currently in Colorado at Rocky Mountain Airport will be 281,282,283.
    Pretty fresh aircraft too, straight off the line last year. Our other aircraft were built in 2018.
    FYI, 281(N281NG) is SN1838, 282 N282NG) is SN1844 and the original 280(N280NG) is SN1795 .

16. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Pretty fresh aircraft too, straight off the line last year. Our other aircraft were built in 2018.
    FYI, 281(N281NG) is SN1838, 282 N282NG) is SN1844 and the original 280(N280NG) is SN1795 .
    Wonder who it was meant for in the first place?

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Civvy customer who cancelled because of current worldwide situation and pending economic slump.

Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Civvy customer who cancelled because of current worldwide situation and pending economic slump.
    Figured that, just wondering was her paint scheme from a known company or not. Not really important, wonder if the DF could blag their way into anything else out of this?

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    She has been wearing that scheme for a bit. Other photos show her the same but with a swiss flag on the tail.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still believe that the purchase of a number of used, low hour, civil AW139s would make more sense. Already have the pilots and technicians to handle them, or at least easily converted to them.

Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ias View Post
    Still believe that the purchase of a number of used, low hour, civil AW139s would make more sense. Already have the pilots and technicians to handle them, or at least easily converted to them.
    Well you never know, still early days to this. That being said, given the issues sustaining the medical flight, how many more 139's could we absorb and utilse?

23. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well with the current crisis in the country, I'm sure all qualified AW139 crew, even if they are now desk drivers in the IAC, could get back to flying very quickly, something that I would imagine does not apply in normal circumstances for the EMS.

Drastic times need drastic measures.
    Last edited by ias; 3rd April 2020 at 03:19.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ias View Post
    I am guessing the difference is aircraft downtime. Heli need very regular intrusive maintenance, requiring lots of workshop space and man hours. The PC12 has the same engine as already in use in other aircraft, and has a fixed wing maint schedule. Fact is if rotary wing were maintenance light, everyone would have them. They aren't.
    An aircraft like the PC12 also can fly in or out of almost any of irelands many small airstrip,(800m) making it almost as useful as any heli in that regard. Better fuel consumption at 250l/h compared to Aw139 which is closer to 600l/hr. I imagine the cost factor was a major difference also. If we paid over 4m each for the kitted out version, I presume an off the shelf model works out a lot less.
    These aircraft will be the workhorse of the fleet in years to come. Fixed wing pilots will clock up solo hours in this type, as they did in the Cessna before, and they will become a familiar sight in the regional airports.

26. Likes ias, meridian, DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just one point.

Fact is if rotary wing were maintenance light, everyone would have them.
    Everyone does.

28. Likes ias liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to Flying in Ireland, the original three cost EUR32 million including all the bells and whistles, a basic one is quoted at EUR4+ million, still far cheaper than the AW139, with used ones quoted at USD5 million to USD15 million.

Post Thanks / Like
    The purchase will definitely prove its worth during and long after the current crisis. Common sense would have dictated the purchase of a basic version alongside the sensor equipped versions from the beginning. I'm sure it will receive a more appropriate colour scheme and other military mods when time allows.

When you are looking for an aircraft at short notice that is available now and can be delivered immediately for which you have qualified flight crew and technicians and can go straight to work, well that limits your options. Couple that to the fact that securing a helicopter from an Italian manufacturer may be complicated at the present time and second hand purchases that differ from in service aircraft may complicate your supply chain and training, then this purchase makes sense

31. Thanks na grohmiti, Turkey, meridian thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo, ias, Turkey, meridian liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see that 280 is doing the rounds today, without giving away any state secrets, according to Fightradar24 earlier today: Casement, Cork, Donegal etc.

33. Likes DeV liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many hours does it normally take for fixed wing pilots to be type rated? I'm sure someone here knows.I imagine there is a big push to get as many current PC-9 and former Cessna172 pilots up to speed on this ASAP so they can hit the ground running when the other 3 arrive.

Post Thanks / Like
    How many hours does it normally take for fixed wing pilots to be type rated? I'm sure someone here knows.I imagine there is a big push to get as many current PC-9 and former Cessna172 pilots up to speed on this ASAP so they can hit the ground running when the other 3 arrive.
    Somewhere around 8-10 hours plus ground school would be typical in the civilian sphere.

36. Thanks na grohmiti, meridian thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was doing a follow along of X280 while on a work call... Kerry to Waterford to Sligo in just over an hour!
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

38. Likes meridian, Jetjock, na grohmiti, sofa liked this post

Thread Information