Thanks Thanks:  127
Likes Likes:  214
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 283
  1. #151
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,903
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyways back to the PC12s ....

  2. Thanks Orion, na grohmiti, Turkey thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmiti, Shaqra, spider, Turkey liked this post
  3. #152
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    197
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Anyways back to the PC12s ....
    As requested.....

    https://twitter.com/IrishAirCorps/st...994672130?s=19

  4. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  5. #153
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also

    A fine looking aircraft.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  6. Likes DeV liked this post
  7. #154
    Lieutenant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,402
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems that we are the first customer for the Spectre. The link also gives the route across the Atlantic for anyone interested (BXO-PIK-RKV-SFJ-YFB-YQT-BJC 6/1/18)
    https://rzjets.net/aircraft/?typ=149114

  8. #155
    Lieutenant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pilatus View Post
    Expect to see high demand at air shows next year for that new 104 Sqn patch!

  9. Likes na grohmiti, Tempest, sofa liked this post
  10. #156
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,842
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    It seems that we are the first customer for the Spectre. The link also gives the route across the Atlantic for anyone interested (BXO-PIK-RKV-SFJ-YFB-YQT-BJC 6/1/18)
    https://rzjets.net/aircraft/?typ=149114
    The USAF have a grey painted version with increased surveillance avionics. Ours looks very white and jazzy for what particular role. The aircraft emanates from a 1991 design with a next generation-NG- starting about 2006/7. It's aimed at business classes with adaptability to some mil/ambulance roles.

  11. #157
    Lieutenant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The USAF have a grey painted version with increased surveillance avionics. Ours looks very white and jazzy for what particular role. The aircraft emanates from a 1991 design with a next generation-NG- starting about 2006/7. It's aimed at business classes with adaptability to some mil/ambulance roles.
    It is a temporary paint scheme and will be repainted in due course. The aircraft will act as an utility aircraft for various transport and liaison functions such as the return of ARW from Germany.

  12. #158
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The USAF have a grey painted version with increased surveillance avionics. Ours looks very white and jazzy for what particular role. The aircraft emanates from a 1991 design with a next generation-NG- starting about 2006/7. It's aimed at business classes with adaptability to some mil/ambulance roles.
    That one is in Pilatus colours. Our fully equipped versions are a darker colour to the PC9Ms, nice subtle grey. The final fitout will not be for its civilian role.
    Last edited by na grohmiti; 26th April 2020 at 10:37.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  13. #159
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,903
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The USAF have a grey painted version with increased surveillance avionics. Ours looks very white and jazzy for what particular role. The aircraft emanates from a 1991 design with a next generation-NG- starting about 2006/7. It's aimed at business classes with adaptability to some mil/ambulance roles.
    Not 100% if the White one is the Spectre version

  14. #160
    The Auld Fella A/TEL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    514
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Not 100% if the White one is the Spectre version
    Spectre version has fitout for ISTAR operations which is currently ongoing in the US.

    This one is the bog standard PC12NG originally built for a private customer.

    The Air Corps were offered the aircraft after said buyer cancelled the order.

  15. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  16. #161
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,034
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    Spectre version has fitout for ISTAR operations which is currently ongoing in the US.

    This one is the bog standard PC12NG originally built for a private customer.

    The Air Corps were offered the aircraft after said buyer cancelled the order.
    Isn't the white one leased for air and ground crew training, and then once the full fat Spectres are on line it will be given back to Pilatus? - or is this an airframe that will stay on the books as a stripped out PC-12, mainly used for training, but also available for low Viz/small size airlift?

  17. #162
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,903
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    Isn't the white one leased for air and ground crew training, and then once the full fat Spectres are on line it will be given back to Pilatus? - or is this an airframe that will stay on the books as a stripped out PC-12, mainly used for training, but also available for low Viz/small size airlift?
    It’s a purchase as far as I know and as a non-Spectre doesn’t have the ISTAR fit

  18. #163
    Lieutenant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,402
    Post Thanks / Like
    The confusion could be that there was a leased PC-12 for training earlier in the year, see post #68.
    This one we procured at the start of the month and will remain with us. It is a standard PC-12NG without any special ISTAR kit.
    Last edited by EUFighter; 26th April 2020 at 15:53.

  19. Thanks ropebag thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  20. #164
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still proving itself as a very useful aircraft, regardless. It can do many of the less technical roles the Cessna used to do.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  21. Likes DeV liked this post
  22. #165
    The Auld Fella A/TEL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    514
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Still proving itself as a very useful aircraft, regardless. It can do many of the less technical roles the Cessna used to do.
    Its a vast improvement on the capabilities the Cessna had.

    Better range, speed, loiter time, passenger capacity, cargo capacity to name a few

  23. Likes EUFighter, na grohmiti, Shaqra, DeV, apod liked this post
  24. #166
    Major General ODIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    Its a vast improvement on the capabilities the Cessna had.

    Better range, speed, loiter time, passenger capacity, cargo capacity to name a few
    Would there be anything to be said for getting an additional one or two of these airframes so the ISTAR variant can be kept specifically for that role?
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

  25. #167
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,903
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post
    Would there be anything to be said for getting an additional one or two of these airframes so the ISTAR variant can be kept specifically for that role?
    Well we now have one. The whole point is that they are multi role. On the Spectres, the pod with the vision equipment retracts into the fuselage so it doesn’t effect performance.

  26. #168
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah but can it tow the drogue?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  27. Likes DeV liked this post
  28. #169
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,903
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Ah but can it tow the drogue?
    No but PC9’s can (probably not ours but they exist)

  29. #170
    Lieutenant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post
    Would there be anything to be said for getting an additional one or two of these airframes so the ISTAR variant can be kept specifically for that role?
    To be clear we have fours aircraft, 3 of which are ISTAR Specter versions and a single utility PC12NG, a second or third utility would be nice but I can't see it until the need can be proven.

  30. Likes DeV liked this post
  31. #171
    Lieutenant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    No but PC9’s can (probably not ours but they exist)
    PC-9B with underwing drogue.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dv20st...n/photostream/

  32. Thanks Shaqra, DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  33. #172
    Lieutenant EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Ah but can it tow the drogue?
    No but the Learjet can!
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GFD_Ge...ieldarstellung
    GFD is a subsidiary of Airbus and operates a dozen Learjet35's as target aircraft with drogues under the wing (remember the Learjet was based on a design for a Swiss jet fighter!).
    Seeing that all ministers will from now on be shamed into not flying MATS we can re-configure the L35 for MedEvac and target tug. At least it will give the artillery boys something closer to the speed of a modern attacker than the Cessna did.

  34. Likes na grohmiti, DeV liked this post
  35. #173
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    No but the Learjet can!
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GFD_Ge...ieldarstellung
    GFD is a subsidiary of Airbus and operates a dozen Learjet35's as target aircraft with drogues under the wing (remember the Learjet was based on a design for a Swiss jet fighter!).
    Seeing that all ministers will from now on be shamed into not flying MATS we can re-configure the L35 for MedEvac and target tug. At least it will give the artillery boys something closer to the speed of a modern attacker than the Cessna did.
    Do they still fire the Bofors or have they been retired? If that is not too invasive a question.

  36. #174
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,903
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by recoil View Post
    Do they still fire the Bofors or have they been retired? If that is not too invasive a question.
    Retired so the drogue would be for HMG/GPMG (on AA) mount and NS
    Last edited by DeV; 27th April 2020 at 16:36.

  37. #175
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,919
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not quite; the wings of the Learjet were fitted to a prototype fighter for the Swiss AF, but it was not a success. The Mystere fighter of the French AF used the same wings as the Dassault Falcon business jet and this was later fitted to the Etendard marine fighter.

  38. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •