Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Routes to becoming an Officer for Privates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routes to becoming an Officer for Privates?

I'm going to apply for a Cadetship once I finish college next year but I know a lot of people who have applied for it and didn't get in.

If I end up on that boat are there any routes to a commission through general service for let's say a private or a corporal with a decent University degree?

If you are serving in the PDF you can still apply for a cadetship in exactly the same way up to the age limit.

The other route is commissioning from the ranks where you need to be a NCO but those courses are only run every 10 years or so (there is a course on at the minute).

Comment

The 10th Potential Officer Course is on now. As the name suggests it is only the 10th one that has ever been run.

Provided you meet the age requirements, there are quite a few enlisted soldiers that get selected for a cadetship.

The DF have not done a direct comissioning from the ranks in decades and other than a judge and medical officers, have not had direct entrant PDF officers 15 years

Comment

Originally posted by Gribben View Post
        I'm going to apply for a Cadetship once I finish college next year but I know a lot of people who have applied for it and didn't get in.

If I end up on that boat are there any routes to a commission through general service for let's say a private or a corporal with a decent University degree?
        Yes, apply for a Cadetship as a serving private. There are now plenty of officers that have come up through the ranks this way in recent years. 20% of some cadet classes in fact.

Comment

For the reserve, Commissioning from the ranks is the main road in.
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia View Post

The DF have not done a direct comissioning from the ranks in decades and other than a judge and medical officers, have not had direct entrant PDF officers 15 years
            The AC commissioned five NCOs earlier this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
              as ATCs

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                as ATCs
                Yes Dev. Once again, thank you for stating the obvious. I'm starting to think you do this deliberately.

Fantasia stated that the "DF" has not done a direct commissoning from the ranks in decades. This isn't the case.

Also, my mistake, it was four NCOs, not five.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                  Like many in the army, I used DF when I should have used army.

Apologies for the confusion

Comment

If you applied for a cadetship as a serving private are there any restrictions on age? or amount of years served?

Would prior service be beneficial in the selection process or do they ignore it?

Comment

What are the age requirements? Can an enlisted soldier apply for a cadetship competition?

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
                        Yes, apply for a Cadetship as a serving private. There are now plenty of officers that have come up through the ranks this way in recent years. 20% of some cadet classes in fact.
                        Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
                        The 10th Potential Officer Course is on now. As the name suggests it is only the 10th one that has ever been run.

Provided you meet the age requirements, there are quite a few enlisted soldiers that get selected for a cadetship.

What are the requirements for a serving private to apply for a cadetship in terms of age and years of experience?

Can you apply for a Cadetship competition whilst serving as a private?

Comment

If you apply for a cadetship as a serving PDF NCO/Pte, exactly the same requirements (age etc) apply as if you were a civilian.

You just qualify for a bonus in final interview.

Comment

Pedantic I know but we have both an RDF and PDF with Army Components. ( the Act, S18)
                            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Does anyone know how the cadet payscale works?
                              I know that regular pay scales go up yearly from 1st Point onwards.
                              But Cadetships only last 15 months, so are there certain landmarks that have to be hit in order for pay to increase?
                              Or is it every 3ish months? (seeing as there are five points to the scale)

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X