Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  173
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haix make good quality boots, these are an excellent, all round, robust boot for training and ops in temperate and warmer climates.

The gore-tex lining means it will be a bit stuffy in really hot climates, and that it will be a pig to dry out in very humid environments, but for European environments it will be a good fit - the only 'but' is winter in northern Europe (and the Lebanese mountains?), it will be fine for anyone doing lots of moving about, but (and this is personal experience, from Norway, Estonia, Kurdistan and Afghanistan), anyone who's fairly static in very cold, or snowy conditions, without an insulated boot could be in real trouble fairly quickly.

That doesn't mean it's a bad choice - the opposite is true - rather that like anything, it can't do everything.

2. Thanks Auldsod thanked for this post
    Likes Truck Driver, sofa liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Where are you getting that from? 18,500 is enough to kit out everyone in the audience by the current combined strength of the Army and AR and have plenty left over.The Artillery are getting a different boot as are the Squids and even if you include them in the scout issue you still have plenty. Remember it't one pair of these per soldier.Consider also how many people have them already from overseas.
    I was taking into account attrition through discharge by purchase and end of contract and the fact that a single pair will be issued to all - the 18,500 will be burned through by the PDF faster than might initially be thought.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    They will, after a year of anything non-office based use, look pretty ropey...

They'll be entirely serviceable, but bristle-headed, red-faced shouty men won't be very happy...

5. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by northie View Post
    I was taking into account attrition through discharge by purchase and end of contract and the fact that a single pair will be issued to all - the 18,500 will be burned through by the PDF faster than might initially be thought.
    Both the PDF and RDF are understrength and recruiting can't change that as it stands. 18500 is enough to kit out all who need them as it stands and unless you are suggesting we stop issuing footwear to the RDF what's the alternative?They haven't tendered for any other general issue boot so RDF will have to get them also.The big question is will mixed dress be allowed if the boots are issued to individuals FWT or will whole units be issued?
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

7. Thanks Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never got issued the black haix even though i hit all the criteria.
    There was never any of my size in stores
    Im a 10 so i reckon there will be the same problem this time around

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by koppiteal View Post
    I got a Size 10 pair in 2009 for going on a career course no problem... well, no problem once the little fkn jumped up gremlin in stores who thought the kit was his personal property, was put in his box...
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

10. Likes Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by koppiteal View Post
    Shouldn't be an issue going forward.The Bks boot is gone.As is the current OP boot. So if and RDF member needs boots it will be an issue of Haix Scouts.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    I got a Size 10 pair in 2009 for going on a career course no problem... well, no problem once the little fkn jumped up gremlin in stores who thought the kit was his personal property, was put in his box...

My favourite excuse is "can't - those are all for the BN going overseas"
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    so my old HAIX op boots are now 11 years old, magnums are 6 or so , what do I do here , or do I trade both pairs in for a scout or do we all only get one boot now cos thats not fair on people coming off the ground or what am I missing
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    My favourite excuse is "can't - those are all for the BN going overseas"
    Nah its always a recruit platoon coming in.

15. Likes na grohmiti, Buck liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smegers View Post
    Nah its always a recruit platoon coming in.
    Thats what the bn going overseas are told...
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

17. Likes Truck Driver, Buck liked this post
    Custom User Title
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    Haix make good quality boots, these are an excellent, all round, robust boot for training and ops in temperate and warmer climates.

The gore-tex lining means it will be a bit stuffy in really hot climates, and that it will be a pig to dry out in very humid environments, but for European environments it will be a good fit - the only 'but' is winter in northern Europe (and the Lebanese mountains?), it will be fine for anyone doing lots of moving about, but (and this is personal experience, from Norway, Estonia, Kurdistan and Afghanistan), anyone who's fairly static in very cold, or snowy conditions, without an insulated boot could be in real trouble fairly quickly.

That doesn't mean it's a bad choice - the opposite is true - rather that like anything, it can't do everything.
    They are a great boot , however, they have badly discolored from the brown to a cream white in the heat. They are also very heavy and even wearing white cotton socks standing static for even a short period your feet are melting. They have saved my ankle a few times.

19. Thanks Truck Driver, ropebag, DeV, apod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    so my old HAIX op boots are now 11 years old, magnums are 6 or so , what do I do here , or do I trade both pairs in for a scout or do we all only get one boot now cos thats not fair on people coming off the ground or what am I missing
    I would say if you looked for either at the moment they would fire them at you as I believe they are clearing the shelves for the new boots.Having said that the tender competition is due to close on Mon 23 Sept with a tender to be awarded in late November and contracts signed in December.So best case we wont see the first Brown boots on the shelves of OCES before summer 2020.

The other side is. Can you wait?? Because I will bet you a pound to a penny that even when they go on issue,unless they do a full unit issue, people will be told "You can't get them you were only issued boots 6 months ago".
    So what to do? No one can answer apart from the people who know the rollout plan.And they ain't talking. Internal Comms my arse.

Oh and yes.I have been reliably told that it is ONE pair of Scouts for everyone in the audience.Replacing both magnums and Current Haix OP boot.Some lads have started buying their own Scouts IOT have a second pair when they go on issue.Lads coming back from overseas who were issued them are being told to bring them home but you can't wear them around the place until everyone has 'em. I wish to F**k someone would just make a statement and clarify what the F**k is going on.

21. Likes DeV, Buck liked this post
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ty - let's see tomorrow ! Also is it brown boot only - no black scouts ?
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup.Brown is what they ordered.Both colours were trialled but they went with Brown.

Post Thanks / Like
    There will be great value to be had buying tins of black kiwi parade from next Summer on so.

25. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    There will be great value to be had buying tins of black kiwi parade from next Summer on so.
    No. Nikwax Nubuck and suede proof is the new Kiwi.
    If you look at the pictures from the latest medal parade in UNDOF you can spot the lads who have wrecked their Scouts by using wax/dubbin!

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Craghopper View Post
    They are a great boot , however, they have badly discolored from the brown to a cream white in the heat. They are also very heavy and even wearing white cotton socks standing static for even a short period your feet are melting. They have saved my ankle a few times.
    Thats a consequence of having a goretex lining. One boot can't do it all. But clothing simply don't have the budget to order multiple types as is required.

Last year there abroad were a fair few who had brown boots of the non goretex variety ready to go, Salomons of various types and Aku's seemed popular.

Post Thanks / Like
    One boot can't do it all. But clothing simply don't have the budget to order multiple types as is required.
    Are things really that bad with the clothing budget??How did it get to that point? Even back in the day we were issued two pairs of boots.Even if they were crap.
    If the intention was to save the DF money this "idea" is going to backfire seriously.

29. Likes DeV, Buck liked this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Financially I'm not sure it will - back in the day when we we issued the old DMS high leg, and after that the assault boot, no one - and I mean no one - wore them on exercise or ops. That meant they could be as crap as £12 per pair demanded, blokes didn't get shagged feet as no one wore them anyway, and they lasted forever as they only got worn in the office.

Win-win as far as the MOD was concerned..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    Your Linkers will still be quite partial to a lick of Kiwi...
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

32. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are things really that bad with the clothing budget??How did it get to that point? Even back in the day we were issued two pairs of boots.Even if they were crap.
    If the intention was to save the DF money this "idea" is going to backfire seriously.
    Totally agree.

Use of the barracks boot - as I remember yourself saying many moons ago, Apod - cut down on wear and tear on the operational boots. In financial terms (cost and frequency of boot reissues) I couldn't say, as a reservist, I naturally wouldn't be plodding about in boots as frequently as my full time colleagues.

But a "one size fits all" boot just won't work in the long run. Will have lovely comfy boots for the ground but will look like a bag of sh1te around barracks once the same boots start cutting up.

Was the existing boots arrangement in brown discounted from the outset? From where I'm looking, and it may take one lifecycle of boot issues to confirm it, it may work out more €€€ expended in the long run...

Post Thanks / Like
    A group of P.A's just returned from Exercise Guardian Angel in Spain and that was a NATO exercise. Pics up on IKON this week.
    An article on said Ex in September's An Cosantoir. What caught my eye was the boots. What were our red hatted colleagues wearing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    An article on said Ex in September's An Cosantoir. What caught my eye was the boots. What were our red hatted colleagues wearing?
    Yeah.I saw that too.There were Hi-Res photos from the EX on IKON. The P.A's were wearing (mostly) the Desert version of the Scouts. Which is odd as I thought they had stopped buying Desert Boots as they were running down the last of the stock of the Desert Magnums by issuing them to Officers going to the likes of the Western Sahara etc.
    Maybe they bought the Desert Scouts to trial and had them on stock so could issue them on this occasion? A funny one I grant you.I bet the Lads/Lasses in Syria and the Leb loved that one.

36. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meanwhile the MOD 7 years ago did this
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...w-combat-boots

I do wonder how that works for uniformity for parade though

Thread Information