Single boot concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
    Anybody tried out the Scouts yet? The soles have gone on my two pairs of Lowas (Gore Tex and Non Gore Tex version), and I'm considering an all out replacement. Options are either the Haix Scout or the Lowa Zephyr GX Mid.
    Very light and comfortable,but needs some breaking in.Good waterproofing.Speed lace system takes a bit of getting used to. Nubuck leather needs more care than just slapping on a bit of Kiwi.(haix cream. clear version, for everyday. Nikwax cleaning gel and Nikwax proofer for waterproofing afterwards). May need more care around razor wire etc doing MOUT.
    Otherwise a good boot. Lower leg than what we are traditionally used to but I covered that previously.
    If you want the same as the issued version get them now wherever you can as the Mk2 is replacing them(open hook lacing).Maybe also go for a half size bigger as they tend to be snug when worn with thick socks. Buy spare laces also as they are thin and might snap or fray.Issue ones come with them AFAIK.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Thanks for the tips apod. All I am seeing online is the Scout 2.0 at present. Brix are out of stock too at present. The DF may have bought the last of the global stock :D
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Thanks for the tips apod. All I am seeing online is the Scout 2.0 at present. Brix are out of stock too at present. The DF may have bought the last of the global stock :D
        The original model will continue to be manufactured for Government contracts. BW and DF are just two contracts I know of.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Couldnt find size 10s anywhere on line over the weekend

Comment

• Originally posted by koppiteal View Post
            Couldnt find size 10s anywhere on line over the weekend
            Yeh, out of idle curiosity, I checked and noted similar (either smaller or larger sizes - in fact, very limited in size availability)
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by koppiteal View Post
              Couldnt find size 10s anywhere on line over the weekend
              Your GoogleFU is weak young Grasshopper.

Original Bundeswehr Haix Kampfstiefel Leicht Scout *gebraucht* online bestellen - versicherter Versand weltweit mit DHL✔ 30 Tage Rückgaberecht✔ Kundenservice unter 03877 561171

Comment

• I wouldn’t be the biggest fan. I’d be buying LOWA z8n or Salomon.
                Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                  Your GoogleFU is weak young Grasshopper.

https://www.bundeswehr-und-mehr.de/o...-3-wahl/a-4903
                  Cheers Apod
                  Just ordered a pair from that site

Comment

• The "check your size" at the bottom of this page may be of assistance for confirming correct size (from the Haix UK site)

As the name suggests, the HAIX Scout is a trekking boot which is aimed at anyone who is involved in exploring the great outdoors. It is suitable for professional or leisure use in various terrain....

Think you, Apod, mentioned going up a half or full size on your normal shoe size for these to fit correctly with thick socks?
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Previous issue Haix were a EU43, gone for the EU44 this time around, just waiting on delivery now :D

Comment

• I wont be a fan either, wore them for two o/s missions. Stiff, hard sole, heavy and small fitting.

Comment

• I have not found the sizing to be an issue but they are uncomfortably stiff. The soles have almost zero flexibility and they are a very hard sole with little by way of cushioning.

I am also not a fan of the lacing system or the material finish. Going to be difficult to keep clean in wet conditions.

Has anyone had any experience of the effectiveness of the goretex? Does it keep your feet dry or does it hold the sweat in?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
                            I have not found the sizing to be an issue but they are uncomfortably stiff. The soles have almost zero flexibility and they are a very hard sole with little by way of cushioning.

I am also not a fan of the lacing system or the material finish. Going to be difficult to keep clean in wet conditions.

Has anyone had any experience of the effectiveness of the goretex? Does it keep your feet dry or does it hold the sweat in?
                            Not a fan of the sole. Very stiff. Haven't used them up mountains yet, as I'm a big fan of the Lowa stuff. Not sure if I ever will.

Have used them in very wet, and very dry and hot conditions. They perform to an ok level. The rubber on the toe seemed to turn the toe box into an oven on the hotter days. Goretex seemed to work well enough. No soggy feet or blisters from them.

They're an ok boot, and if given the choice between them and the old issue ground boot, I'd choose the new ones every time. Just, as a kit whore, I have my own ones that I prefer.
                            Last edited by Captain Edmund Blackadder; 14 August 2020, 19:07.
                            Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
                              Not a fan of the sole. Very stiff. Haven't used them up mountains yet, as I'm a big fan of the Lowa stuff. Not sure if I ever will.

Have used them in very wet, and very dry and hot conditions. They perform to an ok level. The rubber on the toe seemed to turn the toe box into an oven on the hotter days. Goretex seemed to work well enough. No soggy feet or blisters from them.

They're an ok boot, and if given the choice between them and the old issue ground boot, I'd choose the new ones every time. Just, as a kit whore, I have my own ones that I prefer.
                              Out of curiosity, what version Lowa are you sporting?

Comment

Out of curiosity, what version Lowa are you sporting?
                                I've used the Z8 and the Zephyr mid (6in). Both have had some very heavy use. Both stood up to it. The Zephyrs might be a little light for some in very cold environments, compared to a full leather boot. Haven't had them out in snow yet. They seem to dry a little faster than the Z8s.

Care wise, the Zephyrs need a little bit more cleaning due to the fabric parts, but nothing mad.

Plenty of good options for boots out there. All depends on how "medium speed, some drag" you want to go.

All my cribbing aside, I'm impressed enough at the current issue boot in general. Looks smart with the uniform, and I've seen lads use it for some serious work with no issues. The sooner it's the every day boot, the better.
                                Last edited by Captain Edmund Blackadder; 14 August 2020, 20:24.
                                Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Working...
                                X