Single boot concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smegers View Post
    Nah its always a recruit platoon coming in.
    Thats what the bn going overseas are told...
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
      Haix make good quality boots, these are an excellent, all round, robust boot for training and ops in temperate and warmer climates.

The gore-tex lining means it will be a bit stuffy in really hot climates, and that it will be a pig to dry out in very humid environments, but for European environments it will be a good fit - the only 'but' is winter in northern Europe (and the Lebanese mountains?), it will be fine for anyone doing lots of moving about, but (and this is personal experience, from Norway, Estonia, Kurdistan and Afghanistan), anyone who's fairly static in very cold, or snowy conditions, without an insulated boot could be in real trouble fairly quickly.

That doesn't mean it's a bad choice - the opposite is true - rather that like anything, it can't do everything.
      They are a great boot , however, they have badly discolored from the brown to a cream white in the heat. They are also very heavy and even wearing white cotton socks standing static for even a short period your feet are melting. They have saved my ankle a few times.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
        so my old HAIX op boots are now 11 years old, magnums are 6 or so , what do I do here , or do I trade both pairs in for a scout or do we all only get one boot now cos thats not fair on people coming off the ground or what am I missing
        I would say if you looked for either at the moment they would fire them at you as I believe they are clearing the shelves for the new boots.Having said that the tender competition is due to close on Mon 23 Sept with a tender to be awarded in late November and contracts signed in December.So best case we wont see the first Brown boots on the shelves of OCES before summer 2020.

The other side is. Can you wait?? Because I will bet you a pound to a penny that even when they go on issue,unless they do a full unit issue, people will be told "You can't get them you were only issued boots 6 months ago".
        So what to do? No one can answer apart from the people who know the rollout plan.And they ain't talking. Internal Comms my arse.

Oh and yes.I have been reliably told that it is ONE pair of Scouts for everyone in the audience.Replacing both magnums and Current Haix OP boot.Some lads have started buying their own Scouts IOT have a second pair when they go on issue.Lads coming back from overseas who were issued them are being told to bring them home but you can't wear them around the place until everyone has 'em. I wish to F**k someone would just make a statement and clarify what the F**k is going on.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• ty - let's see tomorrow ! Also is it brown boot only - no black scouts ?
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

ty - let's see tomorrow ! Also is it brown boot only - no black scouts ?
            Yup.Brown is what they ordered.Both colours were trialled but they went with Brown.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

ty - let's see tomorrow ! Also is it brown boot only - no black scouts ?
              There will be great value to be had buying tins of black kiwi parade from next Summer on so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                There will be great value to be had buying tins of black kiwi parade from next Summer on so.
                No. Nikwax Nubuck and suede proof is the new Kiwi.
                If you look at the pictures from the latest medal parade in UNDOF you can spot the lads who have wrecked their Scouts by using wax/dubbin!

Comment

• Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                  They are a great boot , however, they have badly discolored from the brown to a cream white in the heat. They are also very heavy and even wearing white cotton socks standing static for even a short period your feet are melting. They have saved my ankle a few times.
                  Thats a consequence of having a goretex lining. One boot can't do it all. But clothing simply don't have the budget to order multiple types as is required.

Last year there abroad were a fair few who had brown boots of the non goretex variety ready to go, Salomons of various types and Aku's seemed popular.

Comment

• One boot can't do it all. But clothing simply don't have the budget to order multiple types as is required.
                    Are things really that bad with the clothing budget??How did it get to that point? Even back in the day we were issued two pairs of boots.Even if they were crap.
                    If the intention was to save the DF money this "idea" is going to backfire seriously.

Comment

• Financially I'm not sure it will - back in the day when we we issued the old DMS high leg, and after that the assault boot, no one - and I mean no one - wore them on exercise or ops. That meant they could be as crap as £12 per pair demanded, blokes didn't get shagged feet as no one wore them anyway, and they lasted forever as they only got worn in the office.

Win-win as far as the MOD was concerned..

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                        Your Linkers will still be quite partial to a lick of Kiwi...
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                          Are things really that bad with the clothing budget??How did it get to that point? Even back in the day we were issued two pairs of boots.Even if they were crap.
                          If the intention was to save the DF money this "idea" is going to backfire seriously.
                          Totally agree.

Use of the barracks boot - as I remember yourself saying many moons ago, Apod - cut down on wear and tear on the operational boots. In financial terms (cost and frequency of boot reissues) I couldn't say, as a reservist, I naturally wouldn't be plodding about in boots as frequently as my full time colleagues.

But a "one size fits all" boot just won't work in the long run. Will have lovely comfy boots for the ground but will look like a bag of sh1te around barracks once the same boots start cutting up.

Was the existing boots arrangement in brown discounted from the outset? From where I'm looking, and it may take one lifecycle of boot issues to confirm it, it may work out more €€€ expended in the long run...
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                            A group of P.A's just returned from Exercise Guardian Angel in Spain and that was a NATO exercise. Pics up on IKON this week.
                            An article on said Ex in September's An Cosantoir. What caught my eye was the boots. What were our red hatted colleagues wearing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                              An article on said Ex in September's An Cosantoir. What caught my eye was the boots. What were our red hatted colleagues wearing?
                              Yeah.I saw that too.There were Hi-Res photos from the EX on IKON. The P.A's were wearing (mostly) the Desert version of the Scouts. Which is odd as I thought they had stopped buying Desert Boots as they were running down the last of the stock of the Desert Magnums by issuing them to Officers going to the likes of the Western Sahara etc.
                              Maybe they bought the Desert Scouts to trial and had them on stock so could issue them on this occasion? A funny one I grant you.I bet the Lads/Lasses in Syria and the Leb loved that one.

Comment

• Meanwhile the MOD 7 years ago did this
                                The Ministry of Defence has signed a multi-million pound contract for new boots for the Army, Royal Navy and RAF.

I do wonder how that works for uniformity for parade though

Comment

Working...
                                X