Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  161
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 240
  1. #126
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,973
    Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up my new boots on Friday - Aku High Liability Combat, and some Iturri Cold Wet Weather boots.

    The Aku's are really comfy, I've worn them to walk the dog (8km on forestry roads) general mooching and to drive to Sennybridge (2 hours). Very happy with them. The Iturri's I wore all day on Saturday in sleet, snow and bog - they are comfortable straight from the box and properly warm and toasty. Very grippy sole unit, and the yeti gaiters fit like a glove/bastard.

    Single boot concept? Utterly ridiculous...

  2. Likes CTU, sofa, Truck Driver liked this post
  3. #127
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just looking at the Album of photos of the DF on overseas service on St.Patricks day up on Flickr.
    Mainly medal parades for first timers in all locations.

    A couple of things jumped out at me. First.While all the others locations are wearing the new Haix, KFOR are still in black boots.

    Second. If you look at the lads in UNDOF it appears the good idea fairy has struck again. The new Haix appear to have been polished/waxed. Thus ruining the breathability of the boots.The boots look shiny and a darker brown. Compare that with the lads boots in UNIFIL,where the boots are clean but still the original colour.

    I hate to say it but I predicted this. A good boot but they require specialist care and cleaning items. None of which are readily available overseas(or widely at home for that matter!) I mean you can't just nip across to The Great Outdoors or River deep Mountain High to pick up Nikwax on the Golan now can you.

    Tender for these boots for general issue doesn't include any cleaning cleaning/maintenance kit with them.This is going to be a Charlie Fox from day one
    Last edited by apod; 18th March 2019 at 07:59.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  4. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Truck Driver liked this post
  5. #128
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,993
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most Haix come with their own polish cream in a toothpaste lik tube (as well as spare insoles). There does seem to be an inconsistency in shades though, one can only hope some boots were wet, while others were dry, otherwise those boots have been ruined forever.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  6. #129
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmitÃ* View Post
    Most Haix come with their own polish cream in a toothpaste lik tube (as well as spare insoles). There does seem to be an inconsistency in shades though, one can only hope some boots were wet, while others were dry, otherwise those boots have been ruined forever.
    Not these ones. Only thing we are getting with them is spare laces.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  7. #130
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,993
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Not these ones. Only thing we are getting with them is spare laces.
    Tell me you at least have the laces toggle thingy.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  8. #131
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmitÃ* View Post
    Tell me you at least have the laces toggle thingy.
    We do.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  9. #132
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,389
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Just looking at the Album of photos of the DF on overseas service on St.Patricks day up on Flickr.
    Mainly medal parades for first timers in all locations.

    A couple of things jumped out at me. First.While all the others locations are wearing the new Haix, KFOR are still in black boots.

    Second. If you look at the lads in UNDOF it appears the good idea fairy has struck again. The new Haix appear to have been polished/waxed. Thus ruining the breathability of the boots.The boots look shiny and a darker brown. Compare that with the lads boots in UNIFIL,where the boots are clean but still the original colour.

    I hate to say it but I predicted this. A good boot but they require specialist care and cleaning items. None of which are readily available overseas(or widely at home for that matter!) I mean you can't just nip across to The Great Outdoors or River deep Mountain High to pick up Nikwax on the Golan now can you.

    Tender for these boots for general issue doesn't include any cleaning cleaning/maintenance kit with them.This is going to be a Charlie Fox from day one
    Saw the album earlier and noticed exactly what you pointed out almost immediately. Which has made the boots looks diabolical. From the outset, when someone said the boots were Nubuck, my first reaction was "gonna be a bugger to keep those clean" -and so it has come to pass

    Although - and my eyes may be deceiving me - in this PHOTO, the soldier
    just behind the inspecting general's (FC?) left shoulder seems to be wearing different boots?

    Any valid reason why we couldn't have plumped for desert version Magnums, and kept the existing Haix for home / inclement overseas conditions?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

  10. Likes DeV liked this post
  11. #133
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any valid reason why we couldn't have plumped for desert version Magnums, and kept the existing Haix for home / inclement overseas conditions?
    We DID have Desert magnums before.They were discontinued on cost cutting grounds. Remember they could only be worn overseas.No use at home so were discarded after six months average wear.
    The theory behind the new Haix is that they can be worn overseas AND at home.

    Remains to be seen.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  12. Thanks Truck Driver thanked for this post
  13. #134
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although - and my eyes may be deceiving me - in this PHOTO, the soldier
    just behind the inspecting general's (FC?) left shoulder seems to be wearing different boots?
    Nope.Those are issued Scouts.Ruined by waxing by the look of it.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  14. Thanks Truck Driver thanked for this post
  15. #135
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    AS per Post 122. Update on the Germans new boots.
    http://www.joint-forces.com/products...n-combat-boots
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  16. Thanks Buck thanked for this post
    Likes Buck liked this post
  17. #136
    Lt Colonel Buck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Heart in Donegal
    Posts
    2,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    That Kampfstiefel Schwer looks decent
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

    In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

    You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

  18. #137
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,714
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scale of issue is more decent.
    Time for another break I think......

  19. Likes apod, Buck, sofa liked this post
  20. #138
    BQMS spider pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    541
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Nope.Those are issued Scouts.Ruined by waxing by the look of it.

    We were made do it ????????*??
    Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

  21. #139
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spider pig View Post
    We were made do it ????????*??
    ????: is that a yes you were made do it. Or not?
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  22. #140
    BQMS spider pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    541
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, that was a palm to face emoji. We were made to do it
    Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

  23. #141
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    That Kampfstiefel Schwer looks decent
    https://www.haix.co.uk/haix-nebraska-pro

    Its this in black with hooks instead of rings for the laces.

    Interestingly there appear to have been problems with the black boot during the production runs, with seconds being sold off for about €150-120. SRP is €250. It would be great if the powers that be would give an indication of what colour is being purchased in the future.

  24. #142
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spider pig View Post
    Sorry, that was a palm to face emoji. We were made to do it
    So.Boots ruined.€184.00 a pop.
    What was it ?Wax.Polish.Who gave the order? What Dumbass excuse did they use?
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  25. #143
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by northie View Post
    https://www.haix.co.uk/haix-nebraska-pro

    Its this in black with hooks instead of rings for the laces.

    Interestingly there appear to have been problems with the black boot during the production runs, with seconds being sold off for about €150-120. SRP is €250. It would be great if the powers that be would give an indication of what colour is being purchased in the future.
    For us? Brown. 18500 pairs of Brown Scouts.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  26. #144
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    For us? Brown. 18500 pairs of Brown Scouts.
    Have you seen the tender? Heard that somewhere else.

  27. #145
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by northie View Post
    Have you seen the tender? Heard that somewhere else.
    Yes. I have.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  28. #146
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    RFT cancelled. No successful bidder. RFT to be re-published.

    This is going to cause massive problems. There is already difficulty in obtaining certain sizes of Barrack boots due to dwindling stock.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  29. Thanks na grohmiti thanked for this post
  30. #147
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    RFT cancelled. No successful bidder. RFT to be re-published.

    This is going to cause massive problems. There is already difficulty in obtaining certain sizes of Barrack boots due to dwindling stock.
    This was part of a joint RFT (2 lots, lot 1 being for AGS) - the whole RFT has been cancelled

    Reason given is “discontinue of procedure”
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Suppli...wNotice/212897

    It shouldn’t cause a problem as generally OCES has too much stock of most things because the demanding stores don’t order enough
    Last edited by DeV; 29th June 2019 at 21:31.

  31. #148
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gee Dev. I never would have thought to read the notification.Please.Continue to tell me more of what I already know.
    Seriously.You know me well enough to know that before I put something up here I do my homework.

    As for distribution problems.You cant order what they don't have.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  32. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
  33. #149
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Gee Dev. I never would have thought to read the notification.Please.Continue to tell me more of what I already know.
    Seriously.You know me well enough to know that before I put something up here I do my homework.

    As for distribution problems.You cant order what they don't have.
    You do, others may not.

    It’s strange that the AGS is cancelled as well.

    OCES generally carry a fair bit of stock and are normally calling off the previous contract. Plenty of cases of Bde level stores not having stock and OCES having hundreds.

    I’m not saying your wrong btw

  34. #150
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good because you are wrong on this occasion.

    Bde level stores are only allowed to carry a two month supply of stock.

    Again you can't order from OCES what they don't have.

    As for the tender I wonder was money the case for it being cancelled. IE the suppliers wanting more than the DF was prepared to pay?
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  35. Likes DeV liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •