Adequacy of Irish Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Rosslare Europort is getting a 6 times a week (utilising 3 DFDS vessels) to Dunkirk
    Trucks only or all traffic? If the latter it's a handy route to the Somme, Ypres and Ardennes battlefields, instead of fly and drive or ferry to France and hours of motorway.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      Trucks only or all traffic? If the latter it's a handy route to the Somme, Ypres and Ardennes battlefields, instead of fly and drive or ferry to France and hours of motorway.
      Trucks only

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Trucks only
        Yes trucks with drivers and any passengers they are co-driving. This highlights our lack of self sufficiency and our dependency on other national carriers. In 1939 Lemass saw our need to be independent and conjured up, over time , close to 20 deepsea vessels to meet our needs of imported goods. What with growing imported Power and no ships of any consequence, we may only survive as the highest bidder.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
          Yes trucks with drivers and any passengers they are co-driving. This highlights our lack of self sufficiency and our dependency on other national carriers. In 1939 Lemass saw our need to be independent and conjured up, over time , close to 20 deepsea vessels to meet our needs of imported goods. What with growing imported Power and no ships of any consequence, we may only survive as the highest bidder.
          Doyle Shipping group are taking on a further 250 staff to deal with BREXIT shipping contingencies ( 100 in Dublin port ) Hope pressure on space at Cork Drydock Yard won't impinge on drydock availability.

Comment

• Here we go again, Bremore Port is again in the news.

https://www.businesspost.ie/construc...meath-d95fc65e

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
              Here we go again, Bremore Port is again in the news.

https://www.businesspost.ie/construc...meath-d95fc65e
              Where exactly are they thinking of putting it? Being pedantic, Bremore is just north of Balbriggan, but is in Co Dublin. The Dublin-Meath border is The Delvin river, just south of Gormanston Camp.

The area I've heard mentioned is known locally as The Sailors Grave (allegedly dating back to the shipwreck of the Bell Hill in I think 1876), and also has a few passage graves and other items of archeological interest. But definitely south of the Delvin.
              Last edited by Flamingo; 13 December 2020, 17:20.
              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• I've just found this 3D geological map of the area:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/brem...1168becf530569 about Bremore Head.

I've also remembered legend has it that part of Cromwells army landed there...
                Last edited by Flamingo; 13 December 2020, 17:31.

Comment

• Comment

• I saw Johnny Ronan mentioned and stopped reading.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Yep, Co Dublin, not Co Meath. Which would make one question the accuracy of the rest of the story if they can't even get the location right...
                      Last edited by Flamingo; 13 December 2020, 20:05.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                        I saw Johnny Ronan mentioned and stopped reading.
                        The articles' credibility took a nose dive as soon as I saw his name .
                        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                          The articles' credibility took a nose dive as soon as I saw his name .
                          In the development of any major new port, the plans and feasibility must be done by PORT Design Engineering agencies. The depicted design is nuts with too much shoehorning of berths in the port area, such as having stern or bow berthing in the same linear area as alongside berthing. The new harbour will also need swell and weather break harbour walls. Irish developers NEVER use their own money so you never know who the eventual owner will be. All ports should be controlled by a national Ports Agency to oversee ongoing development. The Bremore Port depiction is a mini port for a couple of conventional ships and a few ro-ro's or Lo-Lo's. Fairy stories underweigh.

Comment

• I would have thought that even it the developer didn't visit the site they would have at least had looked at a chart of the area. As anyone who has ever visited Gormo, the sea is shallow and extend a long way out. The 10m depth mark is nearly 2km offshore (1.56nm). That is a lot of sand to move and keep away as I did not notice any northern breakwater.

Back in the early 2000's it might have seemed a good idea but with Brexit and the potential loss of the "land bridge" it would be much wiser to invest in our south coast ports.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                              I would have thought that even it the developer didn't visit the site they would have at least had looked at a chart of the area. As anyone who has ever visited Gormo, the sea is shallow and extend a long way out. The 10m depth mark is nearly 2km offshore (1.56nm). That is a lot of sand to move and keep away as I did not notice any northern breakwater.

Back in the early 2000's it might have seemed a good idea but with Brexit and the potential loss of the "land bridge" it would be much wiser to invest in our south coast ports.
                              Indeed charts need to be studied to make a comparison of the facilities offered by our competitors. Our main port Dublin is shallower than most other modern ports offering only 7.8m depth at Chart datum, Ships with 10m draft can only be moved at higher tides and safely float in berths dredged to 10.5m at least.

Comment

• The most obvious choice would be to maintain and expand the harbour facilities in Cork but if someone is determined to build a new port on the east coast probably the best choice would be just south of Arklow. At Arklow Head there is already two breakwaters and a jetty linked to the Roadstone facility. This would make a much better basis for a new harbour, the materials needed are all close by as it a link to the M11 and the rail.

Comment

Working...
                                X