Thanks Thanks:  87
Likes Likes:  129
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 251 to 263 of 263
  1. #251
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Of the three outside, one is a medium bulker with 3 deck cranes the other two were small coastal gearless bulkers, Inside the harbour was a large container type ship and a ship I didn't identify. Tankers, ocean type, rarely anchor as inputs at Whitegate are not frentic and the berth is generally available on demand. It looks like the interface between Port facilities and ship arrivals are getting out of sync.
    That's an incorrect assumption.
    Port of Cork Website details what is in Port, what is anchored, and where are they going. https://www.portofcork.ie/index.cfm/page/shippingtimes
    Of 8 ships anchored, 5 are waiting for a move to a port that is not Cork. The other 3 are Fulda (99m) due to move today at Noon, Arklow Rainbow (89.99m) moving today at 1800hrs and Nissos Paros (248.97m) due to remain at anchor until the 18th.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  2. #252
    C/S CTU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,205
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember about Ten Years ago going to the west country and noticing a number of Oil Tankers anchored of the Devon Coast, A few days later there was a news story about it, Turns out that Ten Oil Tankers were at anchor and they where their waiting for the price of oil to go up before they would unload.
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed!
    I mean, annihilation's bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

  3. #253
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTU View Post
    I remember about Ten Years ago going to the west country and noticing a number of Oil Tankers anchored of the Devon Coast, A few days later there was a news story about it, Turns out that Ten Oil Tankers were at anchor and they where their waiting for the price of oil to go up before they would unload.
    Happens in Whitegate and Whiddy all the time. Whitegate has a rush to deliver when the price is high. If you see the tankers unloading, expect a rise at the pumps within the week. At the same time you will often see a queue of up to 5 tankers waiting to go to the SPM at Whiddy to load from storage there, after whoever owns the product at the time gets the best deal for their shareholders. A fantastic sight looking out the bay from Ballylickey or Glengarriff.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  4. #254
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTU View Post
    I remember about Ten Years ago going to the west country and noticing a number of Oil Tankers anchored of the Devon Coast, A few days later there was a news story about it, Turns out that Ten Oil Tankers were at anchor and they where their waiting for the price of oil to go up before they would unload.
    In the 80s several refridgerated ships loaded with butter from the European "butter mountain " were anchored in Cork Harbour for several months due to the lack of suitable facilities onshore in Europe , they were manned by a skeleton crew to maintain the generators etc .The purpose of the storing is a story in itself .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  5. #255
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    That's an incorrect assumption.
    Port of Cork Website details what is in Port, what is anchored, and where are they going. https://www.portofcork.ie/index.cfm/page/shippingtimes
    Of 8 ships anchored, 5 are waiting for a move to a port that is not Cork. The other 3 are Fulda (99m) due to move today at Noon, Arklow Rainbow (89.99m) moving today at 1800hrs and Nissos Paros (248.97m) due to remain at anchor until the 18th.
    Those that are listed for a future port aren't necessarily finished in Cork. Some of those berthed and working are also listed for other ports. Only one ship was listed for SEA FOR ORDERS. You have to assume that all ships that enter port jurisdiction have business to either discharge or load. It's an unusual traffic pattern and must have a cause.

  6. #256
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Those that are listed for a future port aren't necessarily finished in Cork. Some of those berthed and working are also listed for other ports. Only one ship was listed for SEA FOR ORDERS. You have to assume that all ships that enter port jurisdiction have business to either discharge or load. It's an unusual traffic pattern and must have a cause.
    Back when I was a cadet, we spent many weekends either at anchor or on a lay by berth awaiting orders. One weekend at anchor in the Humber Estuary watching A10s using the coastal range, before going to load at Gunness. Another Weekend at Layby in Rotterdam, before going under Ballast to Neuss, near Dusseldorf. Another weekend at Layby in Europoort waiting for a Hold survey before we could load. Layby in Europoort may as well be at anchor for the absence of local facilities. With a worldwide recession looming, ships aren't as busy as usual, I don't see why the Port must take the Blame.
    It's the nature of modern shipping. There are a few cork visitors that are on a regular schedule, such as any of the Container ships, the RoRo freighters and the Fisher Tankers, but apart from the Weekly rubbish ship, everything else is tramping, and that trade does not work well when everything in Europe is closed for Covid19.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  7. #257
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Back when I was a cadet, we spent many weekends either at anchor or on a lay by berth awaiting orders. One weekend at anchor in the Humber Estuary watching A10s using the coastal range, before going to load at Gunness. Another Weekend at Layby in Rotterdam, before going under Ballast to Neuss, near Dusseldorf. Another weekend at Layby in Europoort waiting for a Hold survey before we could load. Layby in Europoort may as well be at anchor for the absence of local facilities. With a worldwide recession looming, ships aren't as busy as usual, I don't see why the Port must take the Blame.
    It's the nature of modern shipping. There are a few cork visitors that are on a regular schedule, such as any of the Container ships, the RoRo freighters and the Fisher Tankers, but apart from the Weekly rubbish ship, everything else is tramping, and that trade does not work well when everything in Europe is closed for Covid19.
    Shipping is currently under pressure as you say, but loaded ships off Cork harbour has become a norm in the recent decade. I often wondered where do the Blue bales of rubbish go, after they leave Cork on a feeder ship. If incinerated here they could be energy, cleanly I would hope as in Sweden, otherwise they can be feeding the Rag Slave trade to the East. Strange coming from a harbour that was prominent in memorialising a prominent Slaver John Mitchel, according to Radio this morning.

  8. #258
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mitchel was a slaver now? Oh dear.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  9. #259
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Mitchel was a slaver now? Oh dear.
    I was stunned, having stood in Fort Mitchel , not realising that when he escaped to America, via Australia, he became a fundamentalist Slavery supporter, regarding the slaves as not quite human and largely responsible for the graciousness of Southern Aristocracy who were pampered and pandered to by slaves. He fell out with Meagher and regarded Lincoln as inadequate. There is a request for his Statue to be removed in Newry, his birthplace, and all the Mitchel references and clubs to be amended in name or content. Strange times but it wasn't in my history of the Young Irelanders or Fenians. I was thought that he was one of the good guys. Who next?

  10. Thanks Graylion thanked for this post
  11. #260
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    I was stunned, having stood in Fort Mitchel , not realising that when he escaped to America, via Australia, he became a fundamentalist Slavery supporter, regarding the slaves as not quite human and largely responsible for the graciousness of Southern Aristocracy who were pampered and pandered to by slaves. He fell out with Meagher and regarded Lincoln as inadequate. There is a request for his Statue to be removed in Newry, his birthplace, and all the Mitchel references and clubs to be amended in name or content. Strange times but it wasn't in my history of the Young Irelanders or Fenians. I was thought that he was one of the good guys. Who next?
    My experience is the same as yours. Fr Matthew isn't looking good these days either. Apostle of temperance, but slavery is just fine.
    But we digress. I hear a rumour that BAM are playing silly buggers with Port of Cork looking for more money for the Ringaskiddy development. Commissioning of the new container cranes has been delayed as a result.
    Best thing we can do is name the new facility after one of Cork's many Quaker families. That may help to alleviate the Mitchel/Fr Matthew slavery problem.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  12. #261
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    22,873
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Shipping is currently under pressure as you say, but loaded ships off Cork harbour has become a norm in the recent decade. I often wondered where do the Blue bales of rubbish go, after they leave Cork on a feeder ship. If incinerated here they could be energy, cleanly I would hope as in Sweden, otherwise they can be feeding the Rag Slave trade to the East. Strange coming from a harbour that was prominent in memorialising a prominent Slaver John Mitchel, according to Radio this morning.
    I know someone who used to work in waste management who used to look after the licensing documentation. A lot goes to Sweden for incineration.

  13. Thanks na grohmiti thanked for this post
  14. #262
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    I know someone who used to work in waste management who used to look after the licensing documentation. A lot goes to Sweden for incineration.
    Bit of pressure in Cork harbour this AM. Tanker alongside, CORRIB FISHER anchored in roads awaiting Whitegate, BRITISH REASON anchored 4m south awaiting Whitegate , INDEPENDENT PURSUIT container vessel one hour SE at 13.3 kts approaching for Ringaskiddy. FULDA also anchored near Corrib Fisher awaiting to go to Cork.Four other vessels all anchored outside awaiting orders , all those ships are light.
    Last edited by ancientmariner; 13th June 2020 at 09:34.

  15. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
  16. #263
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are 2 berths at Whitegate, Corrib Fisher is easily capable of going to No 2 berth inside the Jetty. British Reason on No.1 outside.
    Independent Pursuit can go to Ringaskiddy without delay, nothing else there.
    Fulda has been waiting a while to come in.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •