Adequacy of Irish Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Those that are listed for a future port aren't necessarily finished in Cork. Some of those berthed and working are also listed for other ports. Only one ship was listed for SEA FOR ORDERS. You have to assume that all ships that enter port jurisdiction have business to either discharge or load. It's an unusual traffic pattern and must have a cause.
    Back when I was a cadet, we spent many weekends either at anchor or on a lay by berth awaiting orders. One weekend at anchor in the Humber Estuary watching A10s using the coastal range, before going to load at Gunness. Another Weekend at Layby in Rotterdam, before going under Ballast to Neuss, near Dusseldorf. Another weekend at Layby in Europoort waiting for a Hold survey before we could load. Layby in Europoort may as well be at anchor for the absence of local facilities. With a worldwide recession looming, ships aren't as busy as usual, I don't see why the Port must take the Blame.
    It's the nature of modern shipping. There are a few cork visitors that are on a regular schedule, such as any of the Container ships, the RoRo freighters and the Fisher Tankers, but apart from the Weekly rubbish ship, everything else is tramping, and that trade does not work well when everything in Europe is closed for Covid19.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      Back when I was a cadet, we spent many weekends either at anchor or on a lay by berth awaiting orders. One weekend at anchor in the Humber Estuary watching A10s using the coastal range, before going to load at Gunness. Another Weekend at Layby in Rotterdam, before going under Ballast to Neuss, near Dusseldorf. Another weekend at Layby in Europoort waiting for a Hold survey before we could load. Layby in Europoort may as well be at anchor for the absence of local facilities. With a worldwide recession looming, ships aren't as busy as usual, I don't see why the Port must take the Blame.
      It's the nature of modern shipping. There are a few cork visitors that are on a regular schedule, such as any of the Container ships, the RoRo freighters and the Fisher Tankers, but apart from the Weekly rubbish ship, everything else is tramping, and that trade does not work well when everything in Europe is closed for Covid19.
      Shipping is currently under pressure as you say, but loaded ships off Cork harbour has become a norm in the recent decade. I often wondered where do the Blue bales of rubbish go, after they leave Cork on a feeder ship. If incinerated here they could be energy, cleanly I would hope as in Sweden, otherwise they can be feeding the Rag Slave trade to the East. Strange coming from a harbour that was prominent in memorialising a prominent Slaver John Mitchel, according to Radio this morning.

Comment

• Mitchel was a slaver now? Oh dear.

Comment

Mitchel was a slaver now? Oh dear.
          I was stunned, having stood in Fort Mitchel , not realising that when he escaped to America, via Australia, he became a fundamentalist Slavery supporter, regarding the slaves as not quite human and largely responsible for the graciousness of Southern Aristocracy who were pampered and pandered to by slaves. He fell out with Meagher and regarded Lincoln as inadequate. There is a request for his Statue to be removed in Newry, his birthplace, and all the Mitchel references and clubs to be amended in name or content. Strange times but it wasn't in my history of the Young Irelanders or Fenians. I was thought that he was one of the good guys. Who next?

Comment

I was stunned, having stood in Fort Mitchel , not realising that when he escaped to America, via Australia, he became a fundamentalist Slavery supporter, regarding the slaves as not quite human and largely responsible for the graciousness of Southern Aristocracy who were pampered and pandered to by slaves. He fell out with Meagher and regarded Lincoln as inadequate. There is a request for his Statue to be removed in Newry, his birthplace, and all the Mitchel references and clubs to be amended in name or content. Strange times but it wasn't in my history of the Young Irelanders or Fenians. I was thought that he was one of the good guys. Who next?
            My experience is the same as yours. Fr Matthew isn't looking good these days either. Apostle of temperance, but slavery is just fine.
            But we digress. I hear a rumour that BAM are playing silly buggers with Port of Cork looking for more money for the Ringaskiddy development. Commissioning of the new container cranes has been delayed as a result.
            Best thing we can do is name the new facility after one of Cork's many Quaker families. That may help to alleviate the Mitchel/Fr Matthew slavery problem.

Comment

Shipping is currently under pressure as you say, but loaded ships off Cork harbour has become a norm in the recent decade. I often wondered where do the Blue bales of rubbish go, after they leave Cork on a feeder ship. If incinerated here they could be energy, cleanly I would hope as in Sweden, otherwise they can be feeding the Rag Slave trade to the East. Strange coming from a harbour that was prominent in memorialising a prominent Slaver John Mitchel, according to Radio this morning.
              I know someone who used to work in waste management who used to look after the licensing documentation. A lot goes to Sweden for incineration.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                I know someone who used to work in waste management who used to look after the licensing documentation. A lot goes to Sweden for incineration.
                Bit of pressure in Cork harbour this AM. Tanker alongside, CORRIB FISHER anchored in roads awaiting Whitegate, BRITISH REASON anchored 4m south awaiting Whitegate , INDEPENDENT PURSUIT container vessel one hour SE at 13.3 kts approaching for Ringaskiddy. FULDA also anchored near Corrib Fisher awaiting to go to Cork.Four other vessels all anchored outside awaiting orders , all those ships are light.
                Last edited by ancientmariner; 13 June 2020, 10:34.

Comment

• There are 2 berths at Whitegate, Corrib Fisher is easily capable of going to No 2 berth inside the Jetty. British Reason on No.1 outside.
                  Independent Pursuit can go to Ringaskiddy without delay, nothing else there.
                  Fulda has been waiting a while to come in.

Comment

• Dublin port has got planning permission for the Redevelopment of the Ferry Terminal
                    Dublin Port has been given the go-ahead for a €320m expansion and redevelopment to cater for increased shipping traffic up to 2040.

An Bord Pleanála has given permission for the next phase of Dublin Port's €320m masterplan to proceed, subject to conditions.

And Irish Rail have announced a €30 million masterplan for Rosslare Europort

Planning permission for a major transformation of Rosslare Europort will be applied for next week by port authority Iarnród Éireann.
                    It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                    It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Not only are Irish rail not letting the train go all the way to the terminal in Rosslare Harbour they are infilling the old rail line too. Very shortsighted.

Comment

Not only are Irish rail not letting the train go all the way to the terminal in Rosslare Harbour they are infilling the old rail line too. Very shortsighted.
                        People don’t use the line from Wexford, Enniscorthy, Gorey, Arklow, Rathdrum, Wicklow because it is so slow it is quicker drive to Dublin on the heavily congested N11/M11/M50
                        Last edited by DeV; 4 July 2020, 09:40.

Comment

• The biggest problem with Roselare Europort is that it is not equipped to handle containers. It is a Ro/Ro port and that does not need a rail link, foot passengers fly!
                          There was once a rail line heading west from Roselare which in theory could have transported goods to Waterford, Limerick and Cork but that was never developed.
                          Maybe with the 7% CO2 targets something will start to change but it would take a Minister of Transport with a new vision...........ohhh wait we have a new minister, lets see what he does!

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post
                            Dublin port has got planning permission for the Redevelopment of the Ferry Terminal
                            Dublin Port has been given the go-ahead for a €320m expansion and redevelopment to cater for increased shipping traffic up to 2040.

An Bord Pleanála has given permission for the next phase of Dublin Port's €320m masterplan to proceed, subject to conditions.

And Irish Rail have announced a €30 million masterplan for Rosslare Europort

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/202...rosslare-port/
                            The 320m Euro expenditure proposal is paltry for a project to increase shipping traffic to Dublin port which in turn will increase in/out road transport from the Dock area to all parts of Ireland. The increase in shipping will bring greater demands for ship maintenance, refuelling, waste management, and Drydocking. It is a unique fact that the States only self built dock has been closed to allow for expansion. It's like chopping off your head because you don't like hats. DPA are NOT providing a service to ships rather an attempt to cherry pick for revenue purposes. They are damaging our maintenance infrastructure.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                              The biggest problem with Roselare Europort is that it is not equipped to handle containers. It is a Ro/Ro port and that does not need a rail link, foot passengers fly!
                              There was once a rail line heading west from Roselare which in theory could have transported goods to Waterford, Limerick and Cork but that was never developed.
                              Maybe with the 7% CO2 targets something will start to change but it would take a Minister of Transport with a new vision...........ohhh wait we have a new minister, lets see what he does!
                              A LoLo port requires a lot of space for container depots to which Rosslare doesn’t lend itself.
                              Waterford isn’t too far and has a LoLo service

Rail may or may not be efficient for LoLo:

The maximum train size permitted on the network is 42 TEU's between Dublin and Cork and 36 TEU's on all other routes.

The lines between Ballina and Dublin Port and Ballina and Waterford Port are cleared to carry 9'6” high cube containers on standard floor wagons, thus allowing a dramatic increase in possible payloads on trains.
                              Especially with the move to JIT industry can’t wait

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                A LoLo port requires a lot of space for container depots to which Rosslare doesn’t lend itself.
                                Waterford isn’t too far and has a LoLo service

Rail may or may not be efficient for LoLo:

Especially with the move to JIT industry can’t wait
                                LoLo and container services may not be the same thing. LoLo is lift on and lift off by ships cranes ( such ships are described as Geared ships ). Container ships are generally gearless and are serviced by port container gantries that load directly to trucks/trains or to local container storage depots. Some older container ships were/are LoLo capable and would be around 15/20 years old but in general today's container ship is gearless and port dependent.

Comment

Working...
                                X