Adequacy of Irish Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Same as the Banana boat then, only in both directions.
    More or less. Didn't know we had a banana boat since it was abandoned at Penrose Quay by the Mulrooney Company many decades ago. He was OC no.5 Coy SM.
    About the ICL service it is not direct Ireland/ US rather a stop off if guaranteed Cargo.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
      More or less. Didn't know we had a banana boat since it was abandoned at Penrose Quay by the Mulrooney Company many decades ago. He was OC no.5 Coy SM.
      About the ICL service it is not direct Ireland/ US rather a stop off if guaranteed Cargo.
      Maersk have a weekly run from the Carribean ports for Europe, and we get the first delivery of its fruit cargo before it heads to the UK. It only loads empty containers, if anything, in Cork. It's a far cry from the reefers of old, with cargoes being unloaded by hand, but it's still known as the banana boat.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Maersk have a weekly run from the Carribean ports for Europe, and we get the first delivery of its fruit cargo before it heads to the UK. It only loads empty containers, if anything, in Cork. It's a far cry from the reefers of old, with cargoes being unloaded by hand, but it's still known as the banana boat.
        When you look at the layout of the deep water berthage in Ringaskiddy you realise that any development of large tonnage trade will be restricted to two medium ships at a time. The National ports policy signed by Varadkar when he was minister for Sport and transport put a stop to port development, outside of the " Tiered " ports. The ports of Regional interest are disconnected to Regional oversite because they handled only 3 1/2% of trade volume. It's skewed thinking, again, by putting all the eggs in a couple of baskets. You cannot expand Dublin Port except to sea by reclamation . Cork port has painted it self into a corner requiring the deletion of a Ferry service, nautical College, and a naval base. Waterford has only Belview and an inner port that is re-purposing. Limerick/Foynes is fragmented and under pressure from green and other issues. Small government , deregulation, and local control leads to short, temporized, decisions subject to political expediency and whims.

Comment

• First arrival earlier this week.

Comment

First arrival earlier this week.
            Good to see. Hope it endures without too much disruption of port usage.

Comment

Good to see. Hope it endures without too much disruption of port usage.
              This evening there are 2 large vessels anchored off the Spit/Whitegate area in the harbour and 3 vessels anchored outside the harbour. I wonder why as I've never seen so many waiting during my navy time of 32 years.

Comment

This evening there are 2 large vessels anchored off the Spit/Whitegate area in the harbour and 3 vessels anchored outside the harbour. I wonder why as I've never seen so many waiting during my navy time of 32 years.
                Any of them tankers? Cause they are backing up everywhere due to the oil glut.

Comment

• Only two tankers outside Roches Point, one waiting for orders, the other, a smaller product tanker waiting to go in. The other 3 are general cargo vessels (2 geared) waiting on orders.
                  At spit bank, the stack is one of the Fisher tankers waiting to go into whitegate, a gas ship waiting to go to tivoli(another gas ship already at berth), and another general cargo vessel that has been at anchor there for over a month.
                  The problem is many of the factories whose raw materials these ships provide, have been closed since april or earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                    Any of them tankers? Cause they are backing up everywhere due to the oil glut.
                    Of the three outside, one is a medium bulker with 3 deck cranes the other two were small coastal gearless bulkers, Inside the harbour was a large container type ship and a ship I didn't identify. Tankers, ocean type, rarely anchor as inputs at Whitegate are not frentic and the berth is generally available on demand. It looks like the interface between Port facilities and ship arrivals are getting out of sync.

Comment

• Well at least our love of bananas is being maintained by the arrival of the Maersk Niamey today from Costa Rica , and at 210m similar in size to Independent Vision from a few days ago .
                      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Of the three outside, one is a medium bulker with 3 deck cranes the other two were small coastal gearless bulkers, Inside the harbour was a large container type ship and a ship I didn't identify. Tankers, ocean type, rarely anchor as inputs at Whitegate are not frentic and the berth is generally available on demand. It looks like the interface between Port facilities and ship arrivals are getting out of sync.
                        That's an incorrect assumption.
                        Port of Cork Website details what is in Port, what is anchored, and where are they going. https://www.portofcork.ie/index.cfm/page/shippingtimes
                        Of 8 ships anchored, 5 are waiting for a move to a port that is not Cork. The other 3 are Fulda (99m) due to move today at Noon, Arklow Rainbow (89.99m) moving today at 1800hrs and Nissos Paros (248.97m) due to remain at anchor until the 18th.

Comment

• I remember about Ten Years ago going to the west country and noticing a number of Oil Tankers anchored of the Devon Coast, A few days later there was a news story about it, Turns out that Ten Oil Tankers were at anchor and they where their waiting for the price of oil to go up before they would unload.
                          It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post
                            I remember about Ten Years ago going to the west country and noticing a number of Oil Tankers anchored of the Devon Coast, A few days later there was a news story about it, Turns out that Ten Oil Tankers were at anchor and they where their waiting for the price of oil to go up before they would unload.
                            Happens in Whitegate and Whiddy all the time. Whitegate has a rush to deliver when the price is high. If you see the tankers unloading, expect a rise at the pumps within the week. At the same time you will often see a queue of up to 5 tankers waiting to go to the SPM at Whiddy to load from storage there, after whoever owns the product at the time gets the best deal for their shareholders. A fantastic sight looking out the bay from Ballylickey or Glengarriff.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post
                              I remember about Ten Years ago going to the west country and noticing a number of Oil Tankers anchored of the Devon Coast, A few days later there was a news story about it, Turns out that Ten Oil Tankers were at anchor and they where their waiting for the price of oil to go up before they would unload.
                              In the 80s several refridgerated ships loaded with butter from the European "butter mountain " were anchored in Cork Harbour for several months due to the lack of suitable facilities onshore in Europe , they were manned by a skeleton crew to maintain the generators etc .The purpose of the storing is a story in itself .
                              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

That's an incorrect assumption.
                                Port of Cork Website details what is in Port, what is anchored, and where are they going. https://www.portofcork.ie/index.cfm/page/shippingtimes
                                Of 8 ships anchored, 5 are waiting for a move to a port that is not Cork. The other 3 are Fulda (99m) due to move today at Noon, Arklow Rainbow (89.99m) moving today at 1800hrs and Nissos Paros (248.97m) due to remain at anchor until the 18th.
                                Those that are listed for a future port aren't necessarily finished in Cork. Some of those berthed and working are also listed for other ports. Only one ship was listed for SEA FOR ORDERS. You have to assume that all ships that enter port jurisdiction have business to either discharge or load. It's an unusual traffic pattern and must have a cause.

Comment

Working...
                                X