Thanks Thanks:  117
Likes Likes:  162
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 326 to 340 of 340
  1. #326
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,365
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Rosslare is in talks for a direct continental Europe ferry service

    https://twitter.com/rosslarehbr/stat...220953089?s=21
    They all ready have 5 continental sailings a week , 2 to Spain and 3 to France and an additional France sailing next March .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  2. Likes DeV, na grohmiti liked this post
  3. #327
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    23,389
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    They all ready have 5 continental sailings a week , 2 to Spain and 3 to France and an additional France sailing next March .
    Increased capacity is a good thing

  4. #328
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,365
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Increased capacity is a good thing
    There's sufficient capacity at the moment and plenty of laid up tonnage to fill in when needed, what the hauliers are looking for is a service to La Havre or Calais because of the better rail and road links and being closer to Holland , Belgium and Germany .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  5. Likes DeV liked this post
  6. #329
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    There's sufficient capacity at the moment and plenty of laid up tonnage to fill in when needed, what the hauliers are looking for is a service to La Havre or Calais because of the better rail and road links and being closer to Holland , Belgium and Germany .
    The only advantage of the UK landbridge was being able to bypass the huge motorway tolls in France. Some of the East coast runs landed you right in the heart of Rotterdam.
    Roscoff is the Clifden of France. Hours from everywhere (a days drive from the French border with everywhere else on the Continent) and Cherbourg is not on the French Autoroute network, with a long haul of poor quality dual carriageway without hard shoulder for most of the route until you manage to Negotiate the Caen ring road. Still six hours drive to the Border, if you are lucky. At that point you must park up because your tacho will be checked once you leave the french autoroute, and you have used your hours waiting to get off the ferry.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  7. Thanks Flamingo, DeV, Sluggie thanked for this post
  8. #330
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,033
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    There's sufficient capacity at the moment and plenty of laid up tonnage to fill in when needed, what the hauliers are looking for is a service to La Havre or Calais because of the better rail and road links and being closer to Holland , Belgium and Germany .
    Like many states Ireland does not have an Irish Flagged fleet of critical type merchant ships. All exigencies must be covered by other carriers through negotiation and payment with certain quid pro quo's. By passing the UK land bridge is expedient but certainty could only be achieved if a national carrier could be established like the Old ICL, an off shoot of the OLD ISL . We are an Island and the need is obvious but I suppose the powers that be will assume the Industries and hauliers will fix it to survive.

  9. #331
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,033
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Like many states Ireland does not have an Irish Flagged fleet of critical type merchant ships. All exigencies must be covered by other carriers through negotiation and payment with certain quid pro quo's. By passing the UK land bridge is expedient but certainty could only be achieved if a national carrier could be established like the Old ICL, an off shoot of the OLD ISL . We are an Island and the need is obvious but I suppose the powers that be will assume the Industries and hauliers will fix it to survive.
    Looking at a "Nationwide" programme on the development of Irish Airports, principally Dublin's Terminal Building and Runway system, the usual suspect turned up who also founded ISL and it's fleet, and provided it with a drydock in Cork-SEAN LEMASS. I am sure that our National infrastructure at any level will never be provided unless driven by Government supported projects. Port's designed for exclusive needs tend to die suddenly when the materials associated shift elsewhere or die out. Just an aside in 32 years of navy we never used Rosslare " no berth available". Too many Ports are being re-jigged to suit private enterprise. Just in case somebody mentions it. Rosslare was used during the Aer Lingus Tuskar disaster.
    Last edited by ancientmariner; 10th October 2020 at 09:48.

  10. #332
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rosslare was used for a Medal parade in recent years for one of the Med Operations. Having it in Rosslare, on a Saturday meant the Minister for state didn't have to leave his constituency, and he'd be all over the local papers with the well turned out Navy Folk.

    To hell with GoH and the all the families though, who had to travel to the arse end of Ireland on a Saturday morning to polish a Parish Pump Politician's ego. Nearest hotel 20 miles away, no worthwhile dining facility capable of catering for large crowds nearby.

    Pretty sure the ship had to move off the berth as soon as the next ferry was due.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  11. Thanks DeV, EUFighter thanked for this post
  12. #333
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,033
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Rosslare was used for a Medal parade in recent years for one of the Med Operations. Having it in Rosslare, on a Saturday meant the Minister for state didn't have to leave his constituency, and he'd be all over the local papers with the well turned out Navy Folk.

    To hell with GoH and the all the families though, who had to travel to the arse end of Ireland on a Saturday morning to polish a Parish Pump Politician's ego. Nearest hotel 20 miles away, no worthwhile dining facility capable of catering for large crowds nearby.

    Pretty sure the ship had to move off the berth as soon as the next ferry was due.
    Thanks for that reminder. It got a picture in the Press. There has been many studies reports on Irish Harbours, even lately by Government Agencies including Dept. of Transport. However the one done by the Offshore Energy Group IPORES 2018 is well worth a read. It lists and surveys ALL our ports and lists them under categories A and B. Category A are those ports ready to service and Build wind Turbines and category B can give lesser assists to the Industry. It concentrates on water depths and harbour facilities and piers. It sees only Dublin, Cork, and Shannon as Category A. It revealed to me for the first time what might be underweigh at DSG Cork Dockyard.
    They find the facility suitable for all aspects of construction and assembly of wind Turbines with access for super cranes and an adjacent drydock. They also promote the New Bremore East Coast deepwater port. In the overall it will be harder for the Navy to drydock it's ships ASAP rather join the queue. The other interesting thing is that the self built Roadstone port off Arklow must be still available for development.
    Last edited by ancientmariner; 10th October 2020 at 12:08.

  13. Thanks na grohmiti thanked for this post
  14. #334
    C/S CTU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,314
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember seeing one of the P40s bearthed at the old Seacat berth in Rosslare, when I travelled on a night sailing from there a few years ago.
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed!
    I mean, annihilation's bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

  15. #335
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,987
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Looking at a "Nationwide" programme on the development of Irish Airports, principally Dublin's Terminal Building and Runway system, the usual suspect turned up who also founded ISL and it's fleet, and provided it with a drydock in Cork-SEAN LEMASS. I am sure that our National infrastructure at any level will never be provided unless driven by Government supported projects. Port's designed for exclusive needs tend to die suddenly when the materials associated shift elsewhere or die out. Just an aside in 32 years of navy we never used Rosslare " no berth available". Too many Ports are being re-jigged to suit private enterprise. Just in case somebody mentions it. Rosslare was used during the Aer Lingus Tuskar disaster.
    You have anchored the sweepers in the harbour in the eighties if I recall.?

  16. #336
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,033
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    You have anchored the sweepers in the harbour in the eighties if I recall.?
    yes we used the outer anchorage for all our ships in gales from South, clockwise to NNW. There was never a routine or recreational use of berths due to unavailability for overnight use.

  17. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
  18. #337
    The Auld Fella A/TEL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    536
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTU View Post
    I remember seeing one of the P40s bearthed at the old Seacat berth in Rosslare, when I travelled on a night sailing from there a few years ago.


    I was alongside Rosslare overnight on many occasions on the P40s and P22.

    Rare that we were required to move for commercial vessels.

    Most of times on P40s was the Fishermans Berth

  19. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  20. #338
    Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Larger ship moved onto USA-Cork route.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  21. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  22. #339
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,365
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Larger ship moved onto USA-Cork route.
    Or maybe she had to ship a lot of containers from Antwerp and Portsmouth to the US, her other ports before Cork .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  23. #340
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,033
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    Or maybe she had to ship a lot of containers from Antwerp and Portsmouth to the US, her other ports before Cork .
    No fuss . They only have 4 ships with one having a Container capacity of 2568 boxes and three around 3000 boxes. They are essentially all the same. They advertise Antwerp to Cork as a short sea trade route of 3 days and then on to Chester/ Wilmington in USA. They are around 2007 vintage German Flagged, paper speed 20 knots, service speed about 16.5 knots. Big box boats carry 18,000 plus boxes and a few over 20,000 boxes. This service is running since June 2020.

  24. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •