Thanks Thanks:  89
Likes Likes:  133
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    Not true, The Ferryboat Inn (FBI) still operating (Before the COVID19 kicked in anyway!)
    The general problem with the New Port area in Cork Lower harbour is the lack of space for development and the underprovision for vessels in the completed berthage area. The quay wall is about 1/4nm in length with 13.4m dredged depth at LWS. Container ships are either Feeder ships, up to 3000 containers, or next step up Panamax with 3000-4900 containers. A Panamax vessel would be close to 1000ft long so that two would not fit, at the same time in the Cork facility. The port is self restricted to Feeder medium ships or one big one at a time.
    Historically that port area was the terminal for the Brittany Ferry only, and then a bulk handling area was added, with a further addition and dredging for container ships as we speak. They are caught between two stools, with mixed traffic to Cork and the remainder mainstream to the constricted facility at Monkstown/Ringaskiddy.
    The facility at Marina Point at the old ICI/IFI terminal is now in the pot, for exclusive use, by a mutual set of maritime developers. The Government needs to step in and decide overall provision and useage of both valuable areas.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    Not true, The Ferryboat Inn (FBI) still operating (Before the COVID19 kicked in anyway!)
    Keep forgetting about the Ferryboat. The other one is gone though isn't it. Is that little shop still open? Old fashioned place, old guy behind the counter. (It was easier to drive to C-Line for food when I last worked at the ferry).
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The general problem with the New Port area in Cork Lower harbour is the lack of space for development and the underprovision for vessels in the completed berthage area. The quay wall is about 1/4nm in length with 13.4m dredged depth at LWS. Container ships are either Feeder ships, up to 3000 containers, or next step up Panamax with 3000-4900 containers. A Panamax vessel would be close to 1000ft long so that two would not fit, at the same time in the Cork facility. The port is self restricted to Feeder medium ships or one big one at a time.
    Historically that port area was the terminal for the Brittany Ferry only, and then a bulk handling area was added, with a further addition and dredging for container ships as we speak. They are caught between two stools, with mixed traffic to Cork and the remainder mainstream to the constricted facility at Monkstown/Ringaskiddy.
    The facility at Marina Point at the old ICI/IFI terminal is now in the pot, for exclusive use, by a mutual set of maritime developers. The Government needs to step in and decide overall provision and useage of both valuable areas.
    Port of Cork has also secured a new RORO freight route to Zeebrugge.
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cor...c01f5c1a523-ds

The Marino Point plan is interesting, in that they have chosen to load and unload fertilizer by Grab Bucket,and hopper instead of auger, as was in place when IFI still operated from there, and the hardware for which still exists, tho may have been non-functioning for too long to be of any use.

4. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Port of Cork has also secured a new RORO freight route to Zeebrugge.
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cor...c01f5c1a523-ds

The Marino Point plan is interesting, in that they have chosen to load and unload fertilizer by Grab Bucket,and hopper instead of auger, as was in place when IFI still operated from there, and the hardware for which still exists, tho may have been non-functioning for too long to be of any use.
    The Plan is what it is and the supporting ads show a dirty bulker discharging loose chemicals. The pictures with the piece, show a flat packed crane awaiting assembly. I hope its not all they have got. Marino point is a solo run project and needs to be examined and approved as a port facility capable of a variety of uses and cargo. The whole Cork Port development needs to be re-examined and especially any ring fencing, exclusions, and intrusions on Defence and educational establishments.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happily, the NS were involved at the planning stage, and former NS officers and SRs continue to supervise progress of this project.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a follow on for the ferry detained in Liverpool, there is now one detained in Dublin
    https://twitter.com/breakingnewsie/s...349686272?s=21

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    As a follow on for the ferry detained in Liverpool, there is now one detained in Dublin
    https://twitter.com/breakingnewsie/s...349686272?s=21
    Apparently everyone is friends again

https://amp.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...mpression=true
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

9. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nasty move by Seatruck to cash their debt (due 2 weeks ago) in the current crisis. It's not like Norbank or P&O will vanish away to some backwater never to be seen again. Small operators could be waiting up to 3 months for a company like Seatruck to pay them.

11. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are on the money as regards transport being an industry that needs to unify. Our country needs to be holistically managed. Our stated population is over 5m, nearly double our post war numbers. On top of that figure we have probably a floating, undocumented, population of 0.5 m permanent visitors. I'm sure that the 11.2m visitors that came into the country in 2019 all needed transport ,food, and lodging, and many came through our ports , except Cork where they were geographically squeezed out. Some daft planning to put a passenger terminal on the wrong side of the river with no transport links, hotel, restaurants, or whatever!
    In these cases the running of Ports and facilities must be in accordance with the Harbour Acts 1996 as amended. There is a schedule of provisions for the good order of any harbour. It strikes me that Dublin Port and docks may have contravened the Harbour Acts by removing a permanent repair facility i.e. a major drydock without providing for an alternative . They don't have authority to close the Port permanently to trade . They should not have got away with closing the ONLY drydock built by the State.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Independent Container Line (ICL) Has Announced the start of a New Direct Service from Cork to USA

Thursday 28 May 2020

Independent Container Line (ICL) Has Announced the start of a New Direct Service from Cork to USA

The Port of Cork are delighted to jointly announce the start of a new weekly direct service from Cork to USA, giving Ireland its first direct container service to the USA in many years.
    https://www.portofcork.ie/index.cfm/...entnews/id/254

14. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo, DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny, it doesn’t say which port or ports it will be sailing to in the US
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Funny, it doesn’t say which port or ports it will be sailing to in the US
    Wilmington is its usual call.

17. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

19. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    They are a US owned (private) Company with a few medium ocean container ships calling EU, UK, US ( Chester- Willmington). They are now going to call Cork after Southampton Westwards and possibly eastwards after US departure. Independent Vision, Pursuit, Horizon, and Spirit are old , built between 2001-2010 and are flagged variously. They have their own crainage and run on a tight scheduled programme. The container vessel I saw going to the basin at Monkstown needed an attending tug to get around the turn at the Spit beacon in Cork harbour. They cannot be delayed as all four run the schedule at the same time in sequence.
    Last edited by ancientmariner; 29th May 2020 at 09:24.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are a US owned (private) Company with a few medium ocean container ships calling EU, UK, US ( Chester- Willmington). They are now going to call Cork after Southampton Westwards and possibly eastwards after US departure. Independent Vision, Pursuit, Horizon, and Spirit are old , built between 2001-2010 and are flagged variously. They have their own crainage and run on a tight scheduled programme. The container vessel I saw going to the basin at Monkstown needed an attending tug to get around the turn at the Spit beacon in Cork harbour. They cannot be delayed as all four run the schedule at the same time in sequence.
    Same as the Banana boat then, only in both directions.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same as the Banana boat then, only in both directions.
    More or less. Didn't know we had a banana boat since it was abandoned at Penrose Quay by the Mulrooney Company many decades ago. He was OC no.5 Coy SM.
    About the ICL service it is not direct Ireland/ US rather a stop off if guaranteed Cargo.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    More or less. Didn't know we had a banana boat since it was abandoned at Penrose Quay by the Mulrooney Company many decades ago. He was OC no.5 Coy SM.
    About the ICL service it is not direct Ireland/ US rather a stop off if guaranteed Cargo.
    Maersk have a weekly run from the Carribean ports for Europe, and we get the first delivery of its fruit cargo before it heads to the UK. It only loads empty containers, if anything, in Cork. It's a far cry from the reefers of old, with cargoes being unloaded by hand, but it's still known as the banana boat.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maersk have a weekly run from the Carribean ports for Europe, and we get the first delivery of its fruit cargo before it heads to the UK. It only loads empty containers, if anything, in Cork. It's a far cry from the reefers of old, with cargoes being unloaded by hand, but it's still known as the banana boat.
    When you look at the layout of the deep water berthage in Ringaskiddy you realise that any development of large tonnage trade will be restricted to two medium ships at a time. The National ports policy signed by Varadkar when he was minister for Sport and transport put a stop to port development, outside of the " Tiered " ports. The ports of Regional interest are disconnected to Regional oversite because they handled only 3 1/2% of trade volume. It's skewed thinking, again, by putting all the eggs in a couple of baskets. You cannot expand Dublin Port except to sea by reclamation . Cork port has painted it self into a corner requiring the deletion of a Ferry service, nautical College, and a naval base. Waterford has only Belview and an inner port that is re-purposing. Limerick/Foynes is fragmented and under pressure from green and other issues. Small government , deregulation, and local control leads to short, temporized, decisions subject to political expediency and whims.

25. Thanks Turkey, Graylion thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmiti, Turkey liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    First arrival earlier this week.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    First arrival earlier this week.
    Good to see. Hope it endures without too much disruption of port usage.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see. Hope it endures without too much disruption of port usage.
    This evening there are 2 large vessels anchored off the Spit/Whitegate area in the harbour and 3 vessels anchored outside the harbour. I wonder why as I've never seen so many waiting during my navy time of 32 years.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    This evening there are 2 large vessels anchored off the Spit/Whitegate area in the harbour and 3 vessels anchored outside the harbour. I wonder why as I've never seen so many waiting during my navy time of 32 years.
    Any of them tankers? Cause they are backing up everywhere due to the oil glut.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only two tankers outside Roches Point, one waiting for orders, the other, a smaller product tanker waiting to go in. The other 3 are general cargo vessels (2 geared) waiting on orders.
    At spit bank, the stack is one of the Fisher tankers waiting to go into whitegate, a gas ship waiting to go to tivoli(another gas ship already at berth), and another general cargo vessel that has been at anchor there for over a month.
    The problem is many of the factories whose raw materials these ships provide, have been closed since april or earlier.

31. Likes CTU liked this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Any of them tankers? Cause they are backing up everywhere due to the oil glut.
    Of the three outside, one is a medium bulker with 3 deck cranes the other two were small coastal gearless bulkers, Inside the harbour was a large container type ship and a ship I didn't identify. Tankers, ocean type, rarely anchor as inputs at Whitegate are not frentic and the berth is generally available on demand. It looks like the interface between Port facilities and ship arrivals are getting out of sync.

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well at least our love of bananas is being maintained by the arrival of the Maersk Niamey today from Costa Rica , and at 210m similar in size to Independent Vision from a few days ago .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

34. Likes Flamingo liked this post

Thread Information