Adequacy of Irish Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
    Well lets hope we stay popular with everyone then .On a similar note Rosslare was not popular enough for Irish Ferries to continue their service to France from there , it would seem that Ireland's strategic needs are at the whim of commercial interests .
    You do know the size difference in the level of cargo units between the two? I mean arguably strategically we should have more Ro-Ro's out of Dublin, also wonder what impact the mid week Britney Ferries from Cork had on the traffic flows as well last year. As I've also said it could be that Irish Ferries are expecting more issues in Rosslare since they will have to stand up a full BIP at this rate while Dublin is already operational just needs to enlarge. As for changing patterns of usage, that's surely the risk for any strategic investment in Infrastructure?

Comment

• The cargo units between the two ?. I assume Dublin and Rosslare
      Last edited by Laners; 11 February 2019, 21:58.
      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

The cargo units between the two ?. I assume Dublin and Rosslare
        Yeah the volume out of Dublin stands well beyond all the others, it does make sense increasing the capacity out of it first.

Comment

• I agree , massive volume going from Dublin , too massive if there is a no deal Brexit . There's P&O and Seatruck to liverpool , Irish Ferries and Stena to Holyhead , around seventeen arrivals from the UK a day .

Comment

I agree , massive volume going from Dublin , too massive if there is a no deal Brexit . There's P&O and Seatruck to liverpool , Irish Ferries and Stena to Holyhead , around seventeen arrivals from the UK a day .
            Yet if there's a No Deal, Dublin is the only one that is capable of meeting the inspection requirements right now, I mean Rosslare has sourced some extra land but they still have to work up all the extra government staff and the rest, Dublin already has this.

Comment

• Rosslare is three years away from havingthe necessary inspection facilities it requires post no deal brexit.
              I don't know where Dublin port stands in this regards.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmitÃ* View Post
                Rosslare is three years away from havingthe necessary inspection facilities it requires post no deal brexit.
                I don't know where Dublin port stands in this regards.
                Dublin Port was already set up with the facilities to handle "normal" non-EU inspections, there's no question they've had to spend on expanding but it's the only one of the major ports that was active in that regard already before Brexit.

Comment

• My thinking is that if Dublin becomes congested to the point that every link span is occupied due to the slower discharge of vehicles,ships arriving from the continent will still have to wait for a berth even though they would not be subject to no deal customs and inspections . Now if Rosslare and Cork were to designated for all continental traffic at least their would be an unhindered route into the country . It seems that the contingency plan is to pour a lot concrete and make a large parking lot at Dublin port . Why not make use of two other perfectly good ports with link spans to spread the load .( Does anyone know if the second link span at Ringaskiddy is operational )

Comment

• Worst case (hard Brexit and major disruption to landbridge), Rosslare could be well placed to concentrate on RoRo to France to reduce congestion in Dublin

Rosslare’s plans

If there is sufficient demand and Dublin is very congested, the ferries will want to put services in place
                    Last edited by DeV; 12 February 2019, 08:08.

Comment

• There are eight vessels operating from Dublin to the UK , Heysham , Liverpool , Holyhead . Three UK ports all feeding into one Irish port , the total lane metres of the combined vessels is equal to 20 klms , multiply that by the combined number of round trips in a 24 hour period it comes in at 100 klms of vehicles end to end. That's the distance from Dublin to Holyhead . Add to that the once a week service by the Celine(8000 lane metres) from Belgium and the new three days a week service to/from France by Irish Ferries . That's five ports all feeding into Dublin . All that freight traffic has only one way into and out of Dublin and that's via the Port Tunnel .
                      Last edited by Laners; 12 February 2019, 09:09.

Comment

There are eight vessels operating from Dublin to the UK , Heysham , Liverpool , Holyhead . Three UK ports all feeding into one Irish port , the total lane metres of the combined vessels is equal to 20 klms , multiply that by the combined number of round trips in a 24 hour period it comes in at 100 klms of vehicles end to end. That's the distance from Dublin to Holyhead . Add to that the once a week service by the Celine(8000 lane metres) from Belgium and the new three days a week service to/from France by Irish Ferries . That's five ports all feeding into Dublin . All that freight traffic has only one way into and out of Dublin and that's via the Port Tunnel .
                        Depends on the weight of the cargo
                        Depends on the amount of axles
                        Depends on the consignees location

Comment

• The lane metres of the ships stays the same regardless of the weight and number of axles , and no trough traffic of heavy goods vehicles allowed trough Dublin except those with a permit for a local delivery .

Comment

My thinking is that if Dublin becomes congested to the point that every link span is occupied due to the slower discharge of vehicles,ships arriving from the continent will still have to wait for a berth even though they would not be subject to no deal customs and inspections . Now if Rosslare and Cork were to designated for all continental traffic at least their would be an unhindered route into the country . It seems that the contingency plan is to pour a lot concrete and make a large parking lot at Dublin port . Why not make use of two other perfectly good ports with link spans to spread the load .( Does anyone know if the second link span at Ringaskiddy is operational )
                            At a guess, right now our "no hard border" stance and the UK's "whatever May says today" stance, combined that means the inspections are by default going to end up at the ports, which means Rosslare and Cork would have to do the needed expansion in check bays/Biological Inspection areas, and all the staff that would be needed by both the port and the Government agencies as well which will take time/money/effort. Dublin by default already has the advantage in having those facilities available right now.

Comment

The lane metres of the ships stays the same regardless of the weight and number of axles , and no trough traffic of heavy goods vehicles allowed trough Dublin except those with a permit for a local delivery .
                              It is an enduring logistics problem that must be catered for especially in this day and age of daily fresh foods, and just in time supply. There are signs of lack of control, and lack of matching volumes with available matching berthage space for ships. Funds were always available but was largely spent on roads with little port expansion except by individual companies that ad hoc-ed as best they could. When I was a kid we had an Island population of about 3.5m, it is now approaching 6m and growing. Comparative studies have been done by the Competition Authority evaluating Port through puts and seeing if they should be associated commercially. Among those they did not consult were the Naval Service or Irish Lights Commission. It is historically an interesting report but has little sign post for the future. We always expected that the Brits would do it for us like in the days of the Nimrod and the Sea Kings from Wales. We will now have to be Independent and build our own future with help from Brussels.
                              Last edited by ancientmariner; 12 February 2019, 12:32.

Comment

The lane metres of the ships stays the same regardless of the weight and number of axles , and no trough traffic of heavy goods vehicles allowed trough Dublin except those with a permit for a local delivery .
                                I wasn’t referring to the vessels I was referring to the city

5 axle HGVs aren’t allowed through the city between 0700 and 1900 hrs without a permit

Now if you have lighter goods that can be carried to/from the port (especially the Southside) on a 2 axle tractor unit and 2 axle trailer via Strand Road, which can be very advantageous if your on the Southside

Comment

Working...
                                X