Cadet Commissioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    That is a massive slap in the face from the Government . There was never going to be a Taoiseach elected today and for this event he would have requested and been granted a pair
    Zero excuse. The dail did resume today, but plenty of time between events to show his despicable face. Clearly those who called themselves minister have already moved on.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I have to disagree. Yes, the Minister & Minister of State have treated the DF fairly badly in the last few years but yesterdays vote, as pointless as it was, was something that no TD or Minister could afford to not be at. It was bad timing for the commissioning to be on the same day as the Dáil vote but there was absolutely no way that any TD would have been able to make it yesterday. The Dáil vote may only take up part of the day but there is a lot more involved in it behind the scenes.

Comment

Surely they could have sent a MEP

Far from the same thing but I remember an MEP hopefully deputised for the Minister at a RDFRA ADC years ago

Comment

Disagree 1,000,000 % . No legal requirement to be there. Ring the Clerk " yeah I'll sign the register later when I get back ", ring mickey martin "Listen its a Commissioning, someone from the Govt needs to be there , I know its day 1 , but can I get a pair please in case of a vote ... yeah no snags, I'll square MLM"
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

As imporant as yesterday was for the Defence Forces, the new officers and their families, the commissioning paled in comparison to what was underway in Leinster House.

It wasn't an ordinary vote or an ordinary day where they could get a pair. Awful timing unfortunately.

Comment

As imporant as yesterday was for the Defence Forces, the new officers and their families, the commissioning paled in comparison to what was underway in Leinster House.

It wasn't an ordinary vote or an ordinary day where they could get a pair. Awful timing unfortunately.
              Sorry .... disagree. There was never going to be a Taoiseach elected. In addition the election of the Ceann Comhairle was what was actually happening at the time, a 15 min walk from Dublin Castle to Leinster House would have got them there hours before a vote for Taoiseach .

Comment

Surely there was a recently unseated minister who could have gone to represent the government?

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                  Surely there was a recently unseated minister who could have gone to represent the government?
                  There are a few of those!

Comment

The minister for justice Charlie Flanagan found his way to Garda passing out today.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                      Disagree 1,000,000 % . No legal requirement to be there. Ring the Clerk " yeah I'll sign the register later when I get back ", ring mickey martin "Listen its a Commissioning, someone from the Govt needs to be there , I know its day 1 , but can I get a pair please in case of a vote ... yeah no snags, I'll square MLM"
                      No TD in their right mind would do that - this was a vote for Taoiseach, there is no give and take. Seeing as there were 4 votes, are you suggesting that 4 TDs back out of the vote...and what about the Independents - there is no normal "Government" or opposition or whatever. No, this is not just a normal day in the Dáil. If any of the votes had come down to 1 vote, then Paul Kehoe would have been splashed all over the Papers as the man who did a "jolly" during an important vote. Yes, it is important to the Defence Forces but to almost no one else in the country.

If it was me, I wouldn't have gone to the Commissioning.

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                      The minister for justice Charlie Flanagan found his way to Garda passing out today.
                      That's today, different day. If it was yesterday, he wouldn't have been there.
                      Last edited by Poiuyt; 21 February 2020, 17:16.

Comment

No TD in their right mind would do that - this was a vote for Taoiseach, there is no give and take. Seeing as there were 4 votes, are you suggesting that 4 TDs back out of the vote...and what about the Independents - there is no normal "Government" or opposition or whatever. No, this is not just a normal day in the Dáil. If any of the votes had come down to 1 vote, then Paul Kehoe would have been splashed all over the Papers as the man who did a "jolly" during an important vote. Yes, it is important to the Defence Forces but to almost no one else in the country.

If it was me, I wouldn't have gone to the Commissioning.
                        Well thats your view. Politics is politics. There was never going to be a Taoiseach elected - you know this. A pair would have been given - you know this.

Comment

Could have sent a Senator or a Minister who lost their seat (there are at least 2)?

Comment

No pair would have happened in the absence of a government. That said, there was a long gap between the vote to elect taoiseach and the vote to elect CC. Most of the tds in the interim spent the time being interviewed by various media. What time did the commissioning happen? Because the dail didnt sit until 11am at the earliest.

Comment

If the commissioning had to happen yesterday then a senator should have attended. The Seanad is still in place. However the DF should have moved it a day. They had 5 weeks notice that it would clash with the return of the Dail which would have been ample time to change the date. It is not as if they haven't done it before.

Comment

Maybe someone didn’t want a politician there?
                                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                                X