NS doing it's job..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Because Irish Fisheries apparently asked them to as there was illegal fishing going on, mostly likely from complaints from local boats. I don't think they get to pick and choose what gets enforced.
    The problem will be " who is asking or directing " and what is the agenda. Ever since Lemass/ O'Neill we have tried to co-operate or co-fund mutually beneficial projects in tourism. power, waterways, and Fisheries. One side or another wanted more of the blanket. It was a mistake to have a DUP conference remark that " we cannot have Southern Irish Warships attacking Northern Irish Fishing Vessels ". The political opportunity was given and taken, and if it was not directed by a responsible agency then we need a clearing agency for Rules of Engagement or Detention.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
      The problem will be " who is asking or directing " and what is the agenda. Ever since Lemass/ O'Neill we have tried to co-operate or co-fund mutually beneficial projects in tourism. power, waterways, and Fisheries. One side or another wanted more of the blanket. It was a mistake to have a DUP conference remark that " we cannot have Southern Irish Warships attacking Northern Irish Fishing Vessels ". The political opportunity was given and taken, and if it was not directed by a responsible agency then we need a clearing agency for Rules of Engagement or Detention.
      I am going to go out on a limb here and say this was a result of a Tip Off to the SFPA By either a disgruntled fisherman or a political party looking for publicity. I'll let you decide on that but I do think it was awfully quick between it happening and it being mentioned in Westminster.
      It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
      It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
      It was a new age...It was the end of history.
      It was the year everything changed.

Comment

It was rushed through the courts to get rid of it...
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

I agree with ancientmariner; there's always an agenda, a backstory. Somebody is pushing their point of view and the Naval Service are just the pointy end of the stick; following orders and doing what they are told. The DUP don't give a rat's ass about fisheries unless it has potential to stick it to the South. Playing with people's lives just to score political points.

Comment

I'd be willing to suggest that the DUP don't have many NI fishermen in their Demographic.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              I agree with ancientmariner; there's always an agenda, a backstory. Somebody is pushing their point of view and the Naval Service are just the pointy end of the stick; following orders and doing what they are told. The DUP don't give a rat's ass about fisheries unless it has potential to stick it to the South. Playing with people's lives just to score political points.
              Just ask a journalist to find out who made the snowballs for the Naval intervention?

Comment

Out of curiosity. Is the restriction based on where the boat is registered or the nationality of the skipper? Would it have been ok if the skipper held an Irish passport?

Comment

IIRC its boat registry so if your not on agriculture's books you'll be on DEFRAs
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

PS Ask yourself why the bill to fix this has been sat in the Seanad for 2 years

Act to amend section 10 of the Sea-Fisheries and Maritime Jurisdiction Act 2006 and to provide for related matters

Oh I see why I've just read the committee debate lol judge for yourself ha ha ha
                    Last edited by trellheim; 4 March 2019, 13:13.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post

Oh I see why I've just read the committee debate lol judge for yourself ha ha ha
                      Dear God - and the Irish people voted to retain this bunch of muppets ? I have seen better debates in primary schools.
                      “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
                      ― Thucydides

Comment

It sounds similar to the spat with France in the channel recently.

Comment

The bit I've found most enlightening (for want of a better word) is the response from two separate people in Ireland (an old school friend and a relative), both of whom found it hysterically funny that the Irish Navy had anything that could be described by anybody as a warship. But that opens another can of worms...
                          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                            The bit I've found most enlightening (for want of a better word) is the response from two separate people in Ireland (an old school friend and a relative), both of whom found it hysterically funny that the Irish Navy had anything that could be described by anybody as a warship. But that opens another can of worms...
                            Some circles in the media and society prefer to call the vessels of the Navy "Gunboats" which gives one the impression of a motor yacht with a machine gun mounted on the cabin roof.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I'm fairly sure a 76mm semi-automatic pop gun differentiates it from a cruise liner, TBH.
                              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The UN Law of The Sea describes a warship " as any vessel of a State carrying the distinguishing marks of the State under the command of an officer, listed in the Gazettes of the armed forces of the state and crewed by personnel under terms of military discipline ". It therefore does NOT have to be armed even though ours do have a 76mm Gun, 2 x 20mm guns, 2 x 12.7mm HMG's, and 2 X 7.62 LMG's. plus a couple of dozen 7.62 SLR's.

Comment

Working...
                                X