Impact of DF or DOD Policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    We could have a change of Minister, a full time Minister, a change of Taoiseach, a change of Government, a change of parties in Government...... the constant is the Department (that advise the Minister of the day)
    You're saying Military Coup?

I, for one, welcome our new Junta overlords!

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
      Roughly how much has DoD returned from the past few years budgets??
      €90m over 5 years is one figure mentioned.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by Herald View Post
        You're saying Military Coup?

I, for one, welcome our new Junta overlords!
        No I’m saying that no matter what happens at the ballot box or at the Cabinet table - the DoD civil servants remain and that is the bigger issue

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          No I’m saying that no matter what happens at the ballot box or at the Cabinet table - the DoD civil servants remain and that is the bigger issue
          I had this debate with a disgruntled friend prior to the European/Local elections. Ministers come and go, but the civil service is forever. If you want to affect changes in this country, you do it through the civil service and from what I have seen and heard (in some departments at least) more effort is spent finding ways to avoid work than doing it.

The DoD should be enabling the DF to function and work instead of throwing up road blocks at every opportunity. I think we will see slow change in the civil service in the coming years as the gold plated contracts of the past retire out over time. The jobs for life attitude needs to go, and fast. If people don't perform they should be looking for another job as they would be in the private sector.
          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Ministers are just passing trough , on their way to bigger and better things for themselves in their own universe and the Civil Servants or doing their own thing in their parallel universe .
            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
              I had this debate with a disgruntled friend prior to the European/Local elections. Ministers come and go, but the civil service is forever. If you want to affect changes in this country, you do it through the civil service and from what I have seen and heard (in some departments at least) more effort is spent finding ways to avoid work than doing it.

The DoD should be enabling the DF to function and work instead of throwing up road blocks at every opportunity. I think we will see slow change in the civil service in the coming years as the gold plated contracts of the past retire out over time. The jobs for life attitude needs to go, and fast. If people don't perform they should be looking for another job as they would be in the private sector.
              I 100% agree with you on all the above but just don't see change in the way the civil service operates anytime soon. There is a job for live attitude and a complete resistance to performance appraisal. Their unions are strong, the civil service is significant portion of the electorate and the fact is that other departments have more capable and high speed employees. I know little about the DoD aside from what I've heard on here but I'm sure it's a comfortable little backwater outside Finance, Foreign Affairs, etc for some.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                €90m over 5 years is one figure mentioned.
                That could have been a huge improvement in any range of equipment, living conditions, range facilities, pay, take your pick.
                Disgraceful that gear and facilities been run into the ground continues, affecting operational capabilities, not to mention morale, etc while the money is continuously returned. Absolutely shocking behaviour to be allowed, tolerated or encouraged within DoD.
                An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

RACO were in fron of the Oireachtas committee yesterday. Should be an interesting read
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Quite frankly, the Govt would reduce the DF to the status of a third rate militia if they thought they could get away with it. They appear to want a mish-mash of a Coast Guard / a Border Guard (see brexit) / a Gendarmerie (riot control) and a few drops of RNLI / Civil Defence, allied to a force just big enough to generate and sustain a UN battalion (only on the proviso that the UN pays for it). They appear to want the building, land and housing stock of the DF to quietly disintegrate, so that they can flog it off for a buck and to spend as little as humanly possible to fund new buildings. In line with current practise in other countries, as much of the DF function will be civilianised, as is humanly possible. The DoD will take the blame as the DF shrinks but they are but functionaries and it's really Finance driving all of this. Senior people in DoF and DoD will get their bonuses enhanced, as the DF withers on the vine, on the backs of being seen to return funds to Finance. The Taoiseach couldnt care less about the DF if he tried and about the only way to improve the state of the DF is for the EU to demand an increase in defence spending, which would force his hand.

Comment

Sounds like a fair assessment - however, it is reflecting the view of the average Joe and Biddy Voter....
                      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        RACO were in fron of the Oireachtas committee yesterday. Should be an interesting read
                        Excellent presentation

Comment

Skip to 27 min. One of my old Coy 2ICs in there.

RACO Opening Statement https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireac...fficers_en.pdf
                          Last edited by trellheim; 31 May 2019, 11:45.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

So now it's come out that a significant number of DF personnel didn't get their postal votes?

Comment

Isn't that called voter supression? Ironic, given the WPDF has been campaigning for people not to Vote FG in the recent elections.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

It photos I’ve seen are alledged in a Dublin Bks and haven’t been given to a voter... wouldn’t that mean it is someone who is in the DF that had custody of them?

What if the person was on leave, overseas, etc etc

Comment

Working...
                                X