Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air corps pilots to be trained by the RAAF in Australia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air corps pilots to be trained by the RAAF in Australia.

Air Corps pilots to train with Royal Australian Air Force
    Proposed initiative is aimed at improving capacity for training pilots in the Air Corps

Air Corps pilots are to be sent for training with the Royal Australian Air Force under proposals approved by the Cabinet on Thursday.

Maybe when trained up, they will be gifted the RAAF F18s too?
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I had posted that in the news section but never mind.

My thoughts what twin engined aircraft are they going to be using in the 15 months? The Spartan? Also I'd wonder about the bit about nobody else in Europe providing this training? Is that actually nobody else was willing to do it for free?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post

My thoughts what twin engined aircraft are they going to be using in the 15 months? The Spartan? Also I'd wonder about the bit about nobody else in Europe providing this training? Is that actually nobody else was willing to do it for free?
        I'm sorry I didn't see your post.

A question, why would the aussies go for this, training a pilot is expensive and lengthy and they are going to do this for free?.....this seems weird.
        Last edited by Rocinante; 26 July 2019, 05:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post

They will be training on King Air 350's at No 32 Sqn.
          The RAAF use this squadron to train their pilots for maritime operations so that fits well. As for what they will do their operational 15 months in, most likely the old AP3, can't see them getting their hands on a P8. However if the C27 is to replace the CASA then the Spartan could be also an option.

Comment

Would Italy not be a bit closer and cheaper (assuming it is because of the C27)?

Wonder how long after the 19 months training & operations said 2 pilots will leave the AC and join the RAAF

Comment

Originally posted by Rocinante View Post
              I'm sorry I didn't see your post.

A question, why would the aussies go for this, training a pilot is expensive and lengthy and they are going to do this for free?.....this seems weird.
              The Aussies pay for the initial training - the human and technical infrastructure they've already paid for - but then they get a live body, trained to their standards, for free for a year.

Absolute bargain.

The danger, as @Dev suggests, is that said aircrew decide that Australia, with its weather, lifestyle, massively expanding military capability, compares somewhat favourably to Ireland and counting fishing boats...

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                The Aussies pay for the initial training - the human and technical infrastructure they've already paid for - but then they get a live body, trained to their standards, for free for a year.

Absolute bargain.

The danger, as @Dev suggests, is that said aircrew decide that Australia, with its weather, lifestyle, massively expanding military capability, compares somewhat favourably to Ireland and counting fishing boats...
                I wonder is the intent more so to see what they need from a military transport aircraft as opposed to specifically being what the C27 can do.

Either way there are places a lot closer to home. But Australia also use the PC9 so it could potentially be to see if it is possible to make the jump direct to something like the C27.

Comment

Australia are moving to the PC21 from the PC9 Though the PC9 is also used in the FAC role.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I read this and didn't believe it

Who came up with this wheeze ?
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      I wonder is the intent more so to see what they need from a military transport aircraft as opposed to specifically being what the C27 can do.

Either way there are places a lot closer to home. But Australia also use the PC9 so it could potentially be to see if it is possible to make the jump direct to something like the C27.
                      But can Italy offer the same type of Training that Australia can offer when you take into account the topography in Australia would be close to some of the Operational areas any hypothetical Irish C27 could be tasked to?
                      Last edited by CTU; 26 July 2019, 13:46.
                      It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                      It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                      It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                      It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        I read this and didn't believe it

Who came up with this wheeze ?
                        This can only end badly. You can imagine the conversation in the Dept - "The Aussies will train our pilots for free ? Great - now tell me again what we need the PC9's for ?"
                        “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
                        ― Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by Shaqra View Post
                          This can only end badly. You can imagine the conversation in the Dept - "The Aussies will train our pilots for free ? Great - now tell me again what we need the PC9's for ?"
                          I think their might be some dispute over whether that's a bad result....

If, instead of the current 'whole training pipeline' model, AC front and rear crew were sent off to friendly air arms to be trained, and then used by that friendly air arm for a years free labour, with the crews then coming back to airlift and MPA/ISR aircraft instead of PC-9M's, that would, imv, not be a retrograde step...

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post
                            But can Italy offer the same type of Training that Australia can offer when you take into account the topography in Australia would be close to some of the Operational areas any hypothetical Irish C27 could be tasked to?
                            The RAAF frequently train in the Pacific and New Zealand which pretty much covers the entire topographical range. These guys are going to get global training opportunities including tier 1 multi-national combined force exercises like Talisman Sabre, Southern Katipo or Northern Shield.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              Wonder how long after the 19 months training & operations said 2 pilots will leave the AC and join the RAAF
                              Unless they are Australian citizens or from the UK&NI, Canada, NZ or the US with military experience that wont happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X