you couldnt make it up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you couldnt make it up...

Today, i was working with an apprentice, a recent joiner to our airline, who had spent 18 months in the Air Corps. We were chatting about his experiences, especially concerning training and exams and so on, as I wanted to see how much he had covered in his time there. It turned out that he and several of his classmates had all applied to Lingus, the other airlines and the AC for apprenticeships and the AC came up first, so he and they joined. They heard nothing from Lingus over time so he and they assumed that they had failed to get in and went about their business in the Air Corps and time passed. Out of the blue, Lingus rings him and offers him an apprenticeship, which he is keen to accept, so he applies to leave the AC by purchase and a couple more lads decide to quit and join Lingus. The AC ask why he wants to leave and encourages him to reconsider but he decides to leave but the kicker is that the DoD want EU 5000 back. This sum is hard to come up with so it looks like he is stuck in the AC for the forseeable. One of the other lads digs up his contract and takes it to a solicitor, to see if there is any way of getting a reduction on the 5000. The solicitor takes one look at the document and tells him that it is invalid because, in his words, "someone had tippexed out parts of the wording before the lads signed it". You could have knocked me down with a feather when I heard that! In the end, he got out for 1200 Euros and joined us. Really, in this day and age, is someone in the DoD resorting to Tippex when writing contracts of employment??

It doesn't surprise me. These people come from an era when clerk typist used to do all that type of document, and they couldn't be arsed learning how to do it themselves.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Wtf!

Comment

Can’t blame the DoD for this one I think

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
          Really, in this day and age, is someone in the DoD resorting to Tippex when writing contracts of employment??
          You should see some of the MOU's that they've written. Truly shocking.

Comment

Whats an MOU?

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              Whats an MOU?
              Memorandum of Understanding I would guess?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                Memorandum of Understanding I would guess?
                Correct, sorry I should have clarified. They outline obligations and responsibilities between the DF and other parties. This could be with agencies such as the HSE, coast guard, various state agencies or partner nations in an overseas operation. They spell out who is responsible for what, who pays, if someone screws up who does the disciplining or picks up the tab - a huge swathe of things. The DF don't write them - this is normal and generally a good thing. Civilian control of the military is an important principle and there should be oversight. The issue in Ireland is that this is the remit of the DOD and their spectacular screw ups. Heads should have rolled over some of the screw ups but didn't. As representative associations have pointed out, the body overseeing the DF is not fit for purpose.
                Last edited by northie; 4 August 2019, 23:08.

Comment

Working...
                X