Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  129
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 108
  1. #1
    The Auld Fella A/TEL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Proposed New GDR/DPM

    Due to go on trial this year.

    Will cover all types of duties in the NS.

    When on general issue, the only time green DPM will be worn is on a Land Overseas Deployment.

    DPM.jpg



    DPM.jpg

  2. Thanks apod, na grohmiti, Herald, Truck Driver, DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Herald liked this post
  3. #2
    Captain
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forgive my ignorance but I've never understood why Naval personnel on ships/bases would need camouflage patterns?

  4. Likes CTU, hptmurphy liked this post
  5. #3
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but I've never understood why Naval personnel on ships/bases would need camouflage patterns?
    So that journalists can recognise them as 'not Army'. This is critical deconfliction for budgetary purposes...

  6. Likes apod, Flamingo, Shaqra, hptmurphy, DeV liked this post
  7. #4
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but I've never understood why Naval personnel on ships/bases would need camouflage patterns?
    They don't. This is a vanity project driven by the NS desire for "Corporate Identity".All they will blend in with is the sea if they fall overboard.
    Lets look at this further.The US navy recently got rid of their proprietary blue/black camo pattern ,derisively referred to as "Blue Bottles" in favour of a green type camo pattern.
    The Royal Navy introduced Naval PCS. A navy blue version of the British Army Personal Clothing System Jacket/Shirt and trousers.
    Those are just two examples of International best practice.Unless you count the Aussies Naval DPM with Reflective stripes on each sleeve(Why bother having Camo in the first place)

    No.There is no tactical or operational reason this abomination of a uniform should exist.It is merely so the NS can stand out from other services who wear navy blue uniforms.
    Now.To be fair the NS uniform badly needed updating but for my tuppence worth this is the route they should go.
    1/ Flame resistant (The new naval DPM has this so strike 1 )
    2/ Better pocket layout(Nope.They just copied the S***ty pocket layout on the shirt that the minority in the DF have foisted upon the majority of the DF.Thanks ladies)
    3/ Solid colour. (Like, I dunno,Navy???)

    Of course the NS hierarchy who dreamt this up have forgotten one massive detail. To issue out a totally new uniform at this time is going to be a Mahooooosive own goal in terms of PR.The NS can't afford to build proper accomodation alongside for it sailors or to pay them enough to stick around to crew the ships that haven't been laid up for "maintenance" but yet they have money to waste on uniforms that are not needed?

    Yup.Priorities straight there.
    Last edited by apod; 11th August 2019 at 18:56.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  8. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  9. #5
    C/S CTU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    974
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    Due to go on trial this year.

    Will cover all types of duties in the NS.

    When on general issue, the only time green DPM will be worn is on a Land Overseas Deployment.

    DPM.jpg



    DPM.jpg
    Did someone take a trip to Camden Market when they were docked in London for St Patrick's day?
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed! I mean, annihilation's bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

  10. Likes apod liked this post
  11. #6
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but I've never understood why Naval personnel on ships/bases would need camouflage patterns?
    Me neither , I've known many in the Navy who could hide onboard a ship and not be found for days and that was without camouflage .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  12. Dislikes DeV, hptmurphy disliked this post
  13. #7
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,908
    Post Thanks / Like
    What headgear will be worn with this?
    There was an opportunity to reintroduce a baseball cap, instead of continuing the ambiguity around the NS beret, some of whom carry the correct ns cap badge, some which carry the larger army one, some officers ones which have a smaller embroidered cap badge than others.
    Or, worst case scenario, is there a naval version bush hat?
    Also, sleeves up or down?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  14. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  15. #8
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    AFAIK headress wil be Berets.
    And so we know what to call it the proper title(No NOT slugcam) is Naval Service Variant Disruptive Pattern Material or NSV-DPM.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  16. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  17. #9
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,908
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another missed opportunity so.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  18. #10
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cathal Brugha
    Posts
    9,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surely there must be some loss of economy in numbers of DPM uniforms procured here.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

  19. Likes DeV, Truck Driver liked this post
  20. #11
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is one bad looking uniform.

  21. #12
    Rittmeister Herald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it, should subdue the Flag too though.

  22. #13
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would stick with the GDR.

  23. #14
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,908
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    They don't. This is a vanity project driven by the NS desire for "Corporate Identity".All they will blend in with is the sea if they fall overboard.
    Lets look at this further.The US navy recently got rid of their proprietary blue/black camo pattern ,derisively referred to as "Blue Bottles" in favour of a green type camo pattern.
    The Royal Navy introduced Naval PCS. A navy blue version of the British Army Personal Clothing System Jacket/Shirt and trousers.
    Those are just two examples of International best practice.Unless you count the Aussies Naval DPM with Reflective stripes on each sleeve(Why bother having Camo in the first place)

    No.There is no tactical or operational reason this abomination of a uniform should exist.It is merely so the NS can stand out from other services who wear navy blue uniforms.
    Now.To be fair the NS uniform badly needed updating but for my tuppence worth this is the route they should go.
    1/ Flame resistant (The new naval DPM has this so strike 1 )
    2/ Better pocket layout(Nope.They just copied the S***ty pocket layout on the shirt that the minority in the DF have foisted upon the majority of the DF.Thanks ladies)
    3/ Solid colour. (Like, I dunno,Navy???)

    Of course the NS hierarchy who dreamt this up have forgotten one massive detail. To issue out a totally new uniform at this time is going to be a Mahooooosive own goal in terms of PR.The NS can't afford to build proper accomodation alongside for it sailors or to pay them enough to stick around to crew the ships that haven't been laid up for "maintenance" but yet they have money to waste on uniforms that are not needed?

    Yup.Priorities straight there.
    The problems you mention are not of the making of the Naval Service. It is a DoD problem. Look around your own location.
    The fact that the NS chose to make public their shortcomings may in the long term be of benefit to the entire DF. If nothing else it got the general public on its side.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  24. Likes DeV liked this post
    Dislikes apod disliked this post
  25. #15
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    3,739
    Post Thanks / Like
    Economies of scale - give it to AGS as well...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  26. #16
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,908
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ags already has it's own niche limited edition combat uniform.
    And it isnt what the RSU wear.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  27. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
  28. #17
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    3,739
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    Ags already has it's own niche limited edition combat uniform.
    And it isnt what the RSU wear.
    I meant general issue
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  29. #18
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,378
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    What headgear will be worn with this?
    There was an opportunity to reintroduce a baseball cap, instead of continuing the ambiguity around the NS beret, some of whom carry the correct ns cap badge, some which carry the larger army one, some officers ones which have a smaller embroidered cap badge than others.
    Or, worst case scenario, is there a naval version bush hat?
    Also, sleeves up or down?
    Only one size FF cap badge nowadays for NS O/SEA, A/SEA, LS ranks in the NS - the larger one usually seen on Army berets
    The smaller one has been discontinued
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

  30. #19
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,025
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    Me neither , I've known many in the Navy who could hide onboard a ship and not be found for days and that was without camouflage .
    Disliked in error

  31. #20
    Recruit Poiuyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    I like it, should subdue the Flag too though.
    Tricolour is hard to subdue. Once it is subdued, it just looks like every other subdued tricolour. Yeah, you have the "IRELAND" part but why bother having the tricolour then?

    And it is not like they actually need it to be subdued

  32. #21
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    The quest for "Corporate Identity " by wearing this outfit will draw more ridicule than positive Corporate Identity .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  33. Thanks DeV, apod thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, CTU, apod, B Inman liked this post
  34. #22
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    The quest for "Corporate Identity " by wearing this outfit will draw more ridicule than positive Corporate Identity .
    The problem with the current BLUE shirt and BLUE pants is it's lack of identity. It always looked sagged and uncrisp. In a formation of service people, due to varying degrees of wash and wear, it gave the appearance of less than required for being on Parade. It never ever was smart. The DPM proposal was to signal that the wearer is definitely in the PDF MOD: You mean DF, the RDF where DPM too- Green for Army and Blue for Navy. My preference is Bluey Grey with dark Navy disruption in a smaller or finer pattern than that shown. Keep the tricolour and the IRELAND logo. Decent pockets but NOT overlarge. I think the overall benefit is the matching top and bottom.
    Last edited by Bravo20; 13th August 2019 at 08:24.

  35. Thanks Herald thanked for this post
    Likes Herald, DeV liked this post
  36. #23
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    22,025
    Post Thanks / Like
    It needs to be functional (hard wearing, keeps its colour, breathable, flame retardant etc etc) while being smart. But as per the last few versions of DPM no point concentrating on it being smart when it’s not up to the job.

    At the end of the day it is for day to day wear

  37. Likes CTU liked this post
  38. #24
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    The problems you mention are not of the making of the Naval Service. It is a DoD problem. Look around your own location.
    The fact that the NS chose to make public their shortcomings may in the long term be of benefit to the entire DF. If nothing else it got the general public on its side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poiuyt View Post
    Tricolour is hard to subdue. Once it is subdued, it just looks like every other subdued tricolour. Yeah, you have the "IRELAND" part but why bother having the tricolour then?

    And it is not like they actually need it to be subdued
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The problem with the current BLUE shirt and BLUE pants is it's lack of identity. It always looked sagged and uncrisp. In a formation of service people, due to varying degrees of wash and wear, it gave the appearance of less than required for being on Parade. It never ever was smart. The DPM proposal was to signal that the wearer is definitely in the PDF- Green for Army and Blue for Navy. My preference is Bluey Grey with dark Navy disruption in a smaller or finer pattern than that shown. Keep the tricolour and the IRELAND logo. Decent pockets but NOT overlarge. I think the overall benefit is the matching top and bottom.
    1/ I never said the problems the DF face were created by the NS.Far from it and yes you are right the recent controversy has given us ammo to use.My point is that the optics of this are terrible. "NS spends X amount on new uniforms while sailors live on ships when alongside etc etc".

    2/ Agreed.Yet there are already two different versions of subdued tricolour on issue and not just for "them".Oh and the tricolour on the NSV-DPM was deliberately left hi-viz.

    3/ B*****ks. The RN doesn't seem to have that problem.Even this morning I was watching a Sky news interview with a female USN ships Captain. Plain navy uniform with necessary bells and whistle to ID her as USN. Simple. Are you telling me that anyone looking at these Sailors below wouldn't know they were Navy??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  39. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes ropebag, Laners, DeV, Truck Driver liked this post
  40. #25
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kid's super hero pyjamas , that's what it looks like . Knew it would come to me eventually.
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  41. Likes apod, Flamingo, Truck Driver liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •