Proposed New GDR/DPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Those that follow a tendency of Floccinaucinihilipilification towards matters Naval are having a ball.
    I'm just amazed you managed to fit that into a sentence. Do you play scrabble?
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
      Fifty shades of grey . God help the bosun .
      Do you mean painting it, or with the lash?
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
        I'm just amazed you managed to fit that into a sentence. Do you play scrabble?
        Not really. Was being a bit qabalistic but "mountains out of mole hills" has a similar meaning. The CPO L.O. in Liverpool getting his plaque from OC P64 ,neither impressed me on the quality of their W.D. To be blunt they were rag bags! Something must be done.

Comment

As a camo, I like it. As a concept, I fking hate it.

Waste of time and money at best. Waste of life at worst.

So will there be helmet and armour covers in the NSV-DPM? Bush hats? T-shirts?

Sorry if this has been discussed btw
          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
          He put a bullet through his brain.
          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge their is going to be full range of kit in NSV-DPM.
            Shirt,trousers,Elmer Fudd hat,Boonie hat,Smock,Waterproofs etc.
            Interestingly the Fleece jacket is being wadied as it is not flame retardant and can't be worn below decks to be replaced by.....The wool Jumper.Thats going to be comfortable when worn over a shirt with a bloody big UBACS pocket on one sleeve.
            Jesus for a service that want's to be soooooooooooooooo different to the Army they even copied our stupid shirt design.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
              Interestingly the Fleece jacket is being wadied as it is not flame retardant and can't be worn below decks to be replaced by.....The wool Jumper.Thats going to be comfortable when worn over a shirt with a bloody big UBACS pocket on one sleeve.
              Jesus for a service that want's to be soooooooooooooooo different to the Army they even copied our stupid shirt design.
              ... and the wool jumper is flame retardant?
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Wool is flame retardant. Always has been. Except for the epaulettes, pocket and pads at elbows and shoulder.
                Last edited by na grohmiti; 21 August 2019, 07:24.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                  Wool is flame retardant. Always has been. Except for the epaulettes, pocket and pads at elbows and shoulder.
                  Nor does it melt and stick to the body like some synthetic fabrics do when they catch on fire . During the Falklands war the Royal Navy working dress was made from nylon and melted to the skin from heat and flame during attacks, adding to the victims trauma and injuries . Cotton and wool will disintegrate and fall away if it catches on fire .
                  Last edited by Laners; 21 August 2019, 07:39.
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Thats going to be comfortable when worn over a shirt with a bloody big UBACS pocket on one sleeve.
                    Below decks on ships is quite warm and the UBACS T shirt plus shirt would be quite adequate.... or then again if your prone to being cold , ditch the shirt and go for tee shirt and Jumper , leave out the shirt.....but will the jumper be DPM... kinda defeats the porpuse having a navy jumper with DPM trousers... back to the days of 'Bastard rig' army combats in green and blue working dress shirts, used to drive the traditionalists bananas.

Now picture a time when the particular size required for the rating is not available and hes forced to wear standard working dress when every one else has DPM..or bits there of as we know nothing fits first time.

This while wrong is going to be comical...
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                      Below decks on ships is quite warm and the UBACS T shirt plus shirt would be quite adequate.... or then again if your prone to being cold , ditch the shirt and go for tee shirt and Jumper , leave out the shirt.....but will the jumper be DPM... kinda defeats the porpuse having a navy jumper with DPM trousers... back to the days of 'Bastard rig' army combats in green and blue working dress shirts, used to drive the traditionalists bananas.

Now picture a time when the particular size required for the rating is not available and hes forced to wear standard working dress when every one else has DPM..or bits there of as we know nothing fits first time.

This while wrong is going to be comical...
                      Comical. Many years ago Petty Officers uniforms were ordered from two different contractors using similar cloth. Th trousers from one and the jackets from another. The tailors in each cut the cloth differently so that , on parade , in daylight, it looked like the PO's were dressed in sports coats and pants. Civil servants taking the initiative can end up in SNAFU.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                        Won't be a similar issue to Army. Some of that issue is specific to the job they do.

DPM Trousers
                        DPM Shirt
                        Plain grey T-shirt (similar to dark green Army issued one)
                        DPM Smock (subtle differences to Army issue)
                        Navy foul weather gear remaining
                        Navy jumper remaining (unfortunately...)
                        Navy ship baseball cap remaining
                        Black beret remaining

No news on Barrack jacket remaining or being DPM'd

Elmer Fudd hat,Boonie hat etc wont be manufactured.

Hopefully the trial will iron what works/doesn't work.

Comment

• Any Pictures of the smock etc?
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                            Any Pictures of the smock etc?

I don't unfortunately, a colleague provided me with the original picture.

IIll see if i can get my hands on something.

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                              Won't be a similar issue to Army. Some of that issue is specific to the job they do.

DPM Trousers
                              DPM Shirt
                              Plain grey T-shirt (similar to dark green Army issued one)
                              DPM Smock (subtle differences to Army issue)
                              Navy foul weather gear remaining
                              Navy jumper remaining (unfortunately...)
                              Navy ship baseball cap remaining
                              Black beret remaining

No news on Barrack jacket remaining or being DPM'd

Elmer Fudd hat,Boonie hat etc wont be manufactured.

Hopefully the trial will iron what works/doesn't work.
                              What about rain gear (as opposed to FWG) for ranges etc?

Is there any chance the trials could result in pockets (even non-functional ones) being restored to the front of the shirt?

A black jumper might look better than a navy one. Same with Baseball cap and FWG.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sluggie View Post
                                What about rain gear (as opposed to FWG) for ranges etc?

Is there any chance the trials could result in pockets (even non-functional ones) being restored to the front of the shirt?

A black jumper might look better than a navy one. Same with Baseball cap and FWG.

Just for firing a range once a year, i doubt it.

Would imagine greens will still be used for that as cost is minimal.

Navy FWG will remain.

RAN still use the Navy FWG.

Comment

Working...
                                X