Proposed New GDR/DPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apod View Post
    Thank you.Finally you are seeing my point.The issue is not the uniform.I think we all agree it needs updating and I am 100% behind that.
    The issue is the money that is going to be spent on something that is not needed(the pattern) at a time when it is going to send completely the wrong signal to those still serving and suffering.
    The DF is already on the back foot with regards "They have money to spend on equipment but not their people".Let's not put more fuel on that fire. A rethink is in order IMHO,especially regarding the timing of all of this.

Oh and thank you I accept your apology.Takes a big man to apologize. If I am coming off as angry it's probably because I am.Angry at how something like this can be a priority when people are really really suffering.That's all.
    And if they are that worried about the corporate identity they could put the “Navy” hi-viz that they have on their body armour/floatation aids on the rear of some of the layers, put hi-viz cuffs on the arms and collar like the Australians and just wear hi-viz as required.

Comment

i wonder if someone were to FOI the cost of the uniform in DPM and the equivalent garments in NON DPM how the pricing would work out?
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        i wonder if someone were to FOI the cost of the uniform in DPM and the equivalent garments in NON DPM how the pricing would work out?
        I would not expect a big price difference, except you have to pay for the development of the pattern
        Looking at the US firm Crye who supply multicam commercially there is no difference. But it is only what is available commercially!
        https://www.cryeprecision.com/Produc...lg0_lwf-jacket

Comment

What’s the reports on the equivalent RN uniform?

We have a MOU with them.

We could even get the tricolours and other DF specifics added locally or as part of the contract

Of course something multicoloured in a particular pattern than one has one customer is going to cost more

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            What’s the reports on the equivalent RN uniform?

We have a MOU with them.

We could even get the tricolours and other DF specifics added locally or as part of the contract

Of course something multicoloured in a particular pattern than one has one customer is going to cost more
            Apparently the uniform itself is functionally good but there were complaints about the 'corporate image' in that it made RN sailors look like mechanics and gas boiler repair men.

Looks like a fine uniform to me. Replace the white ensign with a tri-colour and done. Horse has bolted now though.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
              According to Google-it is in Naval and Air Force terminology descriptive of a soldier. It is slightly derogatory and reserved for in-house usage. A bit like calling MP's Rozzers
              Similar to sea-hag, rock ape, bluffwaffe etc. All of which are used on here routinely so I hope nobody's feelings are hurt.

On the brightside its a DF holiday today. Always welcomed.

Comment

I'm afraid that the 'corporate image' thrust is flogging a dead horse - how many times have journalists described RAF helicopters (with ROYAL AIR FORCE in 2 ft high letters helpfully written all over them...) as 'Army helicopters'?

The best you can hope for is to have NAVY in 6 inch letters written on the blokes/blokettes chests and back, and for the NS to go mad (in the style of the RN and RFA) with Twitter accounts. I also take the view that these 'naval' DPM patterns make the wearer's look like Ukrainian Tax Collectors....

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                  I'm afraid that the 'corporate image' thrust is flogging a dead horse - how many times have journalists described RAF helicopters (with ROYAL AIR FORCE in 2 ft high letters helpfully written all over them...) as 'Army helicopters'?

The best you can hope for is to have NAVY in 6 inch letters written on the blokes/blokettes chests and back, and for the NS to go mad (in the style of the RN and RFA) with Twitter accounts. I also take the view that these 'naval' DPM patterns make the wearer's look like Ukrainian Tax Collectors....
                  The matter now is a little vexatious and causing some internecine warfare. The bottom line is that it must be UNIFORM, a satisfactory all purpose, and all weather, working/combat dress ashore and afloat, it must be identifiable by Service, Rank, and Country of origin. It must of course survive salt water and Laundry. The colour can range from Black , Blue, Grey or a DPM of all three . AFIK it may be manufactured in Ulster.

Comment

AFIK it may be manufactured in Ulster.
                    The Company that was approached to Manufacture the trials Kit is based in N.I but their manufacturing plant is based elsewhere AFAIK.
                    And no.It's not Cooneen.

Funny that the NS would go to them when Seyntex in Belgium has the overall DF Combat/working uniform contract at the moment.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Old contracts lapse.
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                        Originally posted by Poiuyt
                        Tricolour is hard to subdue. Once it is subdued, it just looks like every other subdued tricolour. Yeah, you have the "IRELAND" part but why bother having the tricolour then?
                        2/ Agreed.Yet there are already two different versions of subdued tricolour on issue and not just for "them".Oh and the tricolour on the NSV-DPM was deliberately left hi-viz.
                        Ok, I will not question the reasoning of "them" as I have no knowledge of their MO.

But (other than "them")Why have a subdued tricolour? We had a small tricolour flash that was got rid of. While not subdued, it was far more tactical that its replacement. I understand that the large replacement tricolour made more sense on UN/EU missions but why replace it with a subdued version? Why not go with the older smaller tricolour?

It is the same old DF circular logic - "We want to be all camouflaged and don't want to be seen, but still want to forecast to everyone 'Don't Shoot, We're Irish' ".

Or is it so we can fit in with all the other countries and show off our gucci subdued flags at the bar?
                        Last edited by Poiuyt; 16 August 2019, 14:51.

Comment

Has this come from our stores?

Comment

Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                            Yes the ESS lads and ladies get issued kit

Comment

Yes the ESS lads and ladies get issued kit[/QUOTE]

Do you know why they get it? Or what the DF gets from them?

Comment

Might be a use for the unissued Navy blues...
                                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                                X