Proposed New GDR/DPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Let's hope that they issue 24/7, all weather, sustainable clothing for ship's personnel in the right quantity. In days of yore we used to pipe "change into night clothing " which meant wearing jeans,top of your choice, and a jumper if environmentally required.

The quality of material will be substantially better, so the amount and frequency of issue will be lower.

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
      On a personal note, it's disappointing that the barrack jacket is being discontinued.
      Oh? Across the board or just for the NS?
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
        Oh? Across the board or just for the NS?
        Just the NS, as it cannot be worn below deck onboard ship as not fire retardant

Comment

Just the NS, as it cannot be worn below deck onboard ship as not fire retardant
          That was the reason they got rid of the previous dri flo's wasn't it (not fire retardant)???
          No reason it couldn't be kept for on shore wear though?
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            That was the reason they got rid of the previous dri flo's wasn't it (not fire retardant)???
            No reason it couldn't be kept for on shore wear though?
            I agree completely, but the NS clothing committee don't...... The jumper looks ridiculous with the new rig.

Comment

• As it did with the Dpm when the army got them, but they insisted on issuing until stocks were exhausted.
              You'll be back wearing the pullover under your shirt again, just like the good old days...
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I agree completely, but the NS clothing committee don't...... The jumper looks ridiculous with the new rig.
                I disagree(but I would).
                I have seen the pics of same and think it looks the same as when we had the Jumper.Much smarter than the Bk jacket IMHO,but less practical(no rain protection/pockets etc).
                My gripe would be the comfort of wearing a jumper over a shirt with UBAC style sleeve pockets.
                Why oh why have we gone down the "Bird with a wing down "look with just one UBAC pocket on both services new shirt I don't know.It looks mental and is hardly practical.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

But it isn’t (new expensive pointless corporate image) DPM outer so how does that work?

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                  As it did with the Dpm when the army got them, but they insisted on issuing until stocks were exhausted.
                  You'll be back wearing the pullover under your shirt again, just like the good old days...
                  I wonder how much the jumper costs compared to the Westlife jacket?

Comment

The jumper looks ridiculous with the new rig.
                    I liked the Pullover with DPMs - As Apod said, not very practical in inclement weather but I thought it looked well. I imagine the NS version would look good too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
                      I liked the Pullover with DPMs - As Apod said, not very practical in inclement weather but I thought it looked well. I imagine the NS version would look good too.
                      And cheap and warmer

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        And cheap and warmer
                        Whatever kit is supplied for shipboard use, you will find after time , the users will adapt the issue to suit -- working on deck, in the boats, on the bridge, in the engine room, off duty at meals, resting and watching TV or whatever. Jumpers were always popular under shirts so supply a light T version for warm environment and a sweatshirt version for low temperatures. Often civilian pieces got into the mix especially at night.

Comment

Whatever kit is supplied for shipboard use, you will find after time , the users will adapt the issue to suit -- working on deck, in the boats, on the bridge, in the engine room, off duty at meals, resting and watching TV or whatever. Jumpers were always popular under shirts so supply a light T version for warm environment and a sweatshirt version for low temperatures. Often civilian pieces got into the mix especially at night.
                          What should have been on issue to all engaged in 'working ship',, ships husbandry and technical people was proper overalls, grand heading off to paint somewhere and your kit gets covered in paint.....overalls weren't on general issue, probably could be covered with one wear paper ones these days , but working dress to a person at sea is just that.... dress for working in.....and it needs to be kept clean and tidy even when working with messy stuff.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            What should have been on issue to all engaged in 'working ship',, ships husbandry and technical people was proper overalls, grand heading off to paint somewhere and your kit gets covered in paint.....overalls weren't on general issue, probably could be covered with one wear paper ones these days , but working dress to a person at sea is just that.... dress for working in.....and it needs to be kept clean and tidy even when working with messy stuff.
                            Disliked in error

Comment

V-neck one a good idea. When I joined the FCA first, and only SD NO 1 was issued (would love to know who the idiot was who thought that was a good idea, £££ wise), a Sgt in the unit had his old light green V-neck working dress jumper. Used to wear it under his tunic in colder weather (the v-neck was neatly concealed under the tunic lapels)

Comment

• The idea of the FCA being issued just with number 1s was a straightforward thing. Originally there was no combat dress, just a combat jacket and trousers, these were worn instead of tunic and number 1 trousers. Closed top button and tie was still part of this uniform. The FCA had just changed from bullswool, to what was known at the time as "bumfreezer" tunic. Same pattern as bullswool, but of material closer to that found on current tunic. Pdf had the current pattern tunic. The FCA only got this pattern tunic, with maroon epaulettes, and a green beret so we would all know our place, in the early 80s. Most duties were done in a variation of number one dress. You'll find many action shots from the early 70s and 80s of people driving apc wearing shirt and tie. Only officers got a pullover issued. Various green wn purchase pullover were permitted, unofficially.Green overalls were provided for messy work. I have an old photo from a potential officer course in 1988 where the honour guard are all carrying 303 rifles, wearing green overalls over beige shirt. That's how it was up to the mid 80s. Working dress came in to give the pdf something between combats and number 1s for normal duties. The FCA only got this in 1992. I remember in the 80s nobody was allowed wear combats within certain barracks unless going to or from tactical training. Military police were quite enthusiastic about enforcing this rule.
                                In summary we all got number ones because we weren't allowed wear anything else.
                                Last edited by na grohmiti; 27 September 2019, 15:13.
                                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Working...
                                X