Thanks Thanks:  78
Likes Likes:  196
Dislikes Dislikes:  8
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40189083.html

Interesting article in the Examiner today with some new pieces of information not in the public domain up to now.

One thing I've noticed is that I've only spotted the wooly pooly in the profile photos of the new uniform released. I've yet to see it being worn in testing on any of the publicity photos circulated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40189083.html

Interesting article in the Examiner today with some new pieces of information not in the public domain up to now.

One thing I've noticed is that I've only spotted the wooly pully in the profile photos of the new uniform released. I've yet to see it being worn in testing on any of the publicity photos circulated.
    Trust me. It is staying. All got to do with the fact that wool which is inherently Flame resistant.
    Last edited by apod; 12th December 2020 at 13:59.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks well in the pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just out of curiosity.When is the 75th Anniversary of the NS?? Can't find the answer online. Isn't that when the NS headshed want's to officially launch this new uniform.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Just out of curiosity.When is the 75th Anniversary of the NS?? Can't find the answer online. Isn't that when the FOCNS want's to officially launch this new uniform.

Fixed that for ya......

1st Sept 1946.

The uniform is due to be rolled out well in advance of that date.

The celebrations/ceremonies etc are subject to COVID19 restrictions, but hopefully it will be marked in some form like a Naval Review like 1996.

Hopefully the Commission for Defence will have reported by then and it will be a positive future for the service and the DF as a whole.

6. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Herald, hptmurphy liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 50th anniversary was celebrated on the glorious 12th in 1996.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/070...h-anniversary/

I think the actual anniversary might be in September but that mightn't stop them having it in the summer like they did 25 years ago.

8. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    We had a nice fleet review for the 60th (I think) also a few years back. Plenty of visits from our nearest grey funnel line neighbours.
    Hopefully something similar will be seen this time round. We could damn well do with an excuse to go outdoors for something other than a socially distanced exercise.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

10. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has A9 been changed to allow them to wear it?

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully the Commission for Defence will have reported by then and it will be a positive future for the service and the DF as a whole.
    I doubt it tbh
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

13. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    I doubt it tbh
    Even if the Commission had managed to report out by then I presume as standard the Government is likely to sit on it for some time afterwards anyway.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Even if the Commission had managed to report out by then I presume as standard the Government is likely to sit on it for some time afterwards anyway.
    The Commission is not expected to report until 12 months after their initiation. Their mandate says they must report to government by 15th December 2021.

16. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    The Commission is not expected to report until 12 months after their initiation. Their mandate says they must report to government by 15th December 2021.
    Sure but as I said, I wouldn't be hugely surprised if someones desk is already being made ready to drop it in if it suggests anything like increasing spending.

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Sure but as I said, I wouldn't be hugely surprised if someones desk is already being made ready to drop it in if it suggests anything like increasing spending.
    Hopefully the unconnected review into the DoD will have them otherwise occupied. Whatever about increasing spending, it should at least be maintained and indexed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fixed that for ya......
    Why? Is that not the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by batterysgt View Post
    Has A9 been changed to allow them to wear it?
    Nope. Expecting A9 to change fairly soon though with all the other changes to the uniform coming on stream soon.
    Hopefully the unconnected review into the DoD will have them otherwise occupied.
    Did I miss some huge announcement or something or are you being sarcastic? Review of DoD??? Is there a blue moon with a pig flying over it or something?

20. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I miss some huge announcement or something or are you being sarcastic? Review of DoD??? Is there a blue moon with a pig flying over it or something?
    WP15 project

22. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently the introduction of the new uniform is delayed until sometime in March due to all the new Grey rank markings being sent back to the manufacturer as they were delivered substandard.

24. Thanks DeV, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least they are not accepting sub standard products.

26. Likes Herald liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will be interesting to see what happens with the boot situation once the brown boot comes on issue for the Army. The spec of boot required for sea is totally different to our colleagues in the Army.

Recently spoke with an Air Corps NC,O who showed me a different brown boot purchased by the Air Corps for flight ops.

Currently there are two types of black boot on issue in the NS. A specific Haix (not the Army issue) for seagoing ops, and the DF issue black Magnum barrack boot for ashore.

An under layer will eventually replace the blue jumper down the road. Im hoping for a fleece type garment (which will have to be fireproof).

28. Likes DeV, Sluggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    New Haix boot tendered for the NS to replace the current model.Black. NS not following the land component IRT boot colour.

AC Flight OPS boot is the Haix "Black eagle" model in Sage Green.Not Brown.

Talk of a new Barrack/Shore boot for both Army and NS. Brown for us.Black for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    New Haix boot tendered for the NS to replace the current model.Black. NS not following the land component IRT boot colour.

AC Flight OPS boot is the Haix "Black eagle" model in Sage Green.Not Brown.

Talk of a new Barrack/Shore boot for both Army and NS. Brown for us.Black for you.

Thanks for the info Apod.

Hopefully a good quality sea boot.

The current one is terrible.

Thread Information