Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: FESSEF Medal

Post Thanks / Like

FESSEF Medal

Hi all, just out of pure curiousity does anyone know if the FESSEF Medal for National Services Day last year be worn on the No. 1s? It's a bit of a weird one as I think it's government endorsed but privately issued. I've seen NAS, AGS and Fire wearing it but I wasn't sure if it's DF approved as you technically had to purchase it yourself?

https://image-store.slidesharecdn.co...-original.jpeg

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    No it is not authorised for wear in DF uniform.

There is a mechanism by which you can apply to DCOS Sp for permission but it won't be approved so do not bother

3. Likes DeV, Truck Driver, apod liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait till you join the ONE. They wear everything.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

5. Likes Laners, apod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response guys, pure curiousity demand that I ask ????

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you want to wear it?

8. Likes northie, sofa liked this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you see the Order of Malta members? They have more medals than a North Korean Field Marshall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    Didn't say I would, just wanted to know if I could.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interestingly the government authorised the national services day but not necessarily the medal

12. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    Interestingly the government authorised the national services day but not necessarily the medal
    Ahhhh okay, I just saw NAS, AGS and Fire wearing it so assumed that the government had authorised it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    Did you see the Order of Malta members? They have more medals than a North Korean Field Marshall.
    Only the top guys. I've been in four years and just have the one.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps they are extraordinarily active in an emergency service and feel that it compliments their DF service.

Your remark came across as very disparaging, not sure if that was the intent, I hope not

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    The Order of Malta Ambulance Corps, as a uniformed service organised along military lines, and affiliated to the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, awards service medals. Members can also wear national medals including service medals, on their uniforms. I remember a few Emergency medals being worn by some older members.

If you scroll down in this link, it gives details of the Irish medals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orde...Order_of_Malta
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

17. Thanks Pegasus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    Perhaps they are extraordinarily active in an emergency service and feel that it compliments their DF service.

Your remark came across as very disparaging, not sure if that was the intent, I hope not
    Not at all. I would never do down anyones service in any capacity. My personal opinion is that medals should be awarded for more than just having served in any capacity (the 1916 cenenary medal aside which was a special award).

All other DF medals either recognise gallantry, distinguished service, long service or overseas service. I definitely think someone should purchase the above if they like but I don't think it should be worn alongside the far more significant awards that are authorised.

It's just my own personal opinion but I believe we should be frugal in how and when we award medals. There are different schools of thought and I know the US military issues medals like sweets and that seems to work for them.

I 100% appreciate the service of all front line staff in the state.
    Last edited by Auldsod; 9th September 2019 at 20:54.

19. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post

I've been in OMAC since I was 15 and am nearly 4 years in it now. I'm only recently into the Defence Forces but have been extremely active in OMAC over the last number of years. I'm really, really proud of my one medal but for a number of reasons I don't think I'll apply for permission to wear it on DF uniform. It being privately issued being number one even though other government services wear it. Don't want to draw heat for wearing something you 'technically' had to purchase privately.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu_00 View Post
    I've been in OMAC since I was 15 and am nearly 4 years in it now. I'm only recently into the Defence Forces but have been extremely active in OMAC over the last number of years. I'm really, really proud of my one medal but for a number of reasons I don't think I'll apply for permission to wear it on DF uniform. It being privately issued being number one even though other government services wear it. Don't want to draw heat for wearing something you 'technically' had to purchase privately.
    Your voluntary service in the Order of Malta is appreciated, however if it is not issued by the state, I am of the opinion that has being no business being on a military uniform. What other state bodies do is entirely up themselves - if they want to throw out a medal for going for a pray in France, thats fine, but I like to think that we in the DF we hold ourselves to higher standards. When something is issued, its normally hard won, not just thrown out for participating in a single day. The exception to this is the 1916-2016 medal, which although I wear it, I was not in favour of the idea, or the award criteria.

22. Likes Auldsod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not at all. I would never do down anyones service in any capacity. My personal opinion is that medals should be awarded for more than just having served in any capacity (the 1916 cenenary medal aside which was a special award).

All other DF medals either recognise gallantry, distinguished service, long service or overseas service.
    You also have the 1916 Survivors medal and Truce Commemoration medal. These are also official commemoration medals but similar to the 1916 Commemoration medal.

I know the US military issues medals like sweets and that seems to work for them.
    It does cause a lot of issues - some US service members can lose track of what medals they are entitled to wear with the result that they don't wear all their medals, or worse, wear the wrong ones. I do know that many units have a ceremonial sergeant whose main purpose is to keep a tracks of this, ensure the units uniforms are correct and keeps a supply of relevant awards. If you read the biography of some senior officers, there are issues as to why they are wearing certain types of medals etc.

Even worse, it also downgrades a lot of awards - the Purple Heart is awarded for "Being wounded or killed in any action against an enemy of the United States or as a result of an act of any such enemy or opposing armed forces". Yet the Invasion of Grenada "Operation Urgent Fury" led to the award being given out far in excess of actual killed & wounded, and even those who were killed or wounded in accidents. There were more medals awarded for that operation than there were people involved in it.
    Last edited by Poiuyt; 11th September 2019 at 11:40.

24. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a episode of M.A.S.H , Major Frank Burns put himself forward for a Purple Heart due to mortar fire landing around the compound , needless to say Hawkeye had some choice words to say to him about it along the lines of him more likely to suffer a shell fragment wound from peeling a hard boiled egg .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

26. Likes Flamingo, Truck Driver, sofa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m sure I remember from reading Band of Brothers that somebody got injured by being stabbed with a bayonet in a case of mistaken identity at night by an overzealous sentry. As the injury was not inflicted by the enemy, no Purple Heart was awarded!
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I’m sure I remember from reading Band of Brothers that somebody got injured by being stabbed with a bayonet in a case of mistaken identity at night by an overzealous sentry. As the injury was not inflicted by the enemy, no Purple Heart was awarded!
    In the series someone gave him theres

29. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poiuyt View Post
    It does cause a lot of issues - some US service members can lose track of what medals they are entitled to wear with the result that they don't wear all their medals, or worse, wear the wrong ones. I do know that many units have a ceremonial sergeant whose main purpose is to keep a tracks of this, ensure the units uniforms are correct and keeps a supply of relevant awards. If you read the biography of some senior officers, there are issues as to why they are wearing certain types of medals etc.
    Here is a well know and infamous case from the US. The professional head of the US Navy committed Suicide over controversy due to the wearing of v (for valour) devices on two of his service medals. Essentially small metallic 'v's atop the ribbon.

Personal honour is a huge thing for military officers in the US (not that it isn't here of course).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy...l_Boorda#Death

Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like

32. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post

Thread Information