FESSEF Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
    Not at all. I would never do down anyones service in any capacity. My personal opinion is that medals should be awarded for more than just having served in any capacity (the 1916 cenenary medal aside which was a special award).

All other DF medals either recognise gallantry, distinguished service, long service or overseas service.
    You also have the 1916 Survivors medal and Truce Commemoration medal. These are also official commemoration medals but similar to the 1916 Commemoration medal.

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
    I know the US military issues medals like sweets and that seems to work for them.
    It does cause a lot of issues - some US service members can lose track of what medals they are entitled to wear with the result that they don't wear all their medals, or worse, wear the wrong ones. I do know that many units have a ceremonial sergeant whose main purpose is to keep a tracks of this, ensure the units uniforms are correct and keeps a supply of relevant awards. If you read the biography of some senior officers, there are issues as to why they are wearing certain types of medals etc.

Even worse, it also downgrades a lot of awards - the Purple Heart is awarded for "Being wounded or killed in any action against an enemy of the United States or as a result of an act of any such enemy or opposing armed forces". Yet the Invasion of Grenada "Operation Urgent Fury" led to the award being given out far in excess of actual killed & wounded, and even those who were killed or wounded in accidents. There were more medals awarded for that operation than there were people involved in it.
    Last edited by Poiuyt; 11 September 2019, 12:40.

Comment

In a episode of M.A.S.H , Major Frank Burns put himself forward for a Purple Heart due to mortar fire landing around the compound , needless to say Hawkeye had some choice words to say to him about it along the lines of him more likely to suffer a shell fragment wound from peeling a hard boiled egg .
      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

I’m sure I remember from reading Band of Brothers that somebody got injured by being stabbed with a bayonet in a case of mistaken identity at night by an overzealous sentry. As the injury was not inflicted by the enemy, no Purple Heart was awarded!
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          I’m sure I remember from reading Band of Brothers that somebody got injured by being stabbed with a bayonet in a case of mistaken identity at night by an overzealous sentry. As the injury was not inflicted by the enemy, no Purple Heart was awarded!
          In the series someone gave him theres

Comment

Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
            It does cause a lot of issues - some US service members can lose track of what medals they are entitled to wear with the result that they don't wear all their medals, or worse, wear the wrong ones. I do know that many units have a ceremonial sergeant whose main purpose is to keep a tracks of this, ensure the units uniforms are correct and keeps a supply of relevant awards. If you read the biography of some senior officers, there are issues as to why they are wearing certain types of medals etc.
            Here is a well know and infamous case from the US. The professional head of the US Navy committed Suicide over controversy due to the wearing of v (for valour) devices on two of his service medals. Essentially small metallic 'v's atop the ribbon.

Personal honour is a huge thing for military officers in the US (not that it isn't here of course).

Comment

Not fully up to date.

Comment

Working...
              X