FESSEF Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FESSEF Medal

Hi all, just out of pure curiousity does anyone know if the FESSEF Medal for National Services Day last year be worn on the No. 1s? It's a bit of a weird one as I think it's government endorsed but privately issued. I've seen NAS, AGS and Fire wearing it but I wasn't sure if it's DF approved as you technically had to purchase it yourself?

https://image-store.slidesharecdn.co...-original.jpeg

No it is not authorised for wear in DF uniform.

There is a mechanism by which you can apply to DCOS Sp for permission but it won't be approved so do not bother

Comment

Wait till you join the ONE. They wear everything.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Thanks for the response guys, pure curiousity demand that I ask ????

Comment

Why would you want to wear it?

Comment

Did you see the Order of Malta members? They have more medals than a North Korean Field Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
              Didn't say I would, just wanted to know if I could.

Comment

Interestingly the government authorised the national services day but not necessarily the medal

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                  Interestingly the government authorised the national services day but not necessarily the medal
                  Ahhhh okay, I just saw NAS, AGS and Fire wearing it so assumed that the government had authorised it!

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                    Did you see the Order of Malta members? They have more medals than a North Korean Field Marshall.
                    Only the top guys. I've been in four years and just have the one.

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                      Perhaps they are extraordinarily active in an emergency service and feel that it compliments their DF service.

Your remark came across as very disparaging, not sure if that was the intent, I hope not

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                        The Order of Malta Ambulance Corps, as a uniformed service organised along military lines, and affiliated to the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, awards service medals. Members can also wear national medals including service medals, on their uniforms. I remember a few Emergency medals being worn by some older members.

If you scroll down in this link, it gives details of the Irish medals.

'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
                          Perhaps they are extraordinarily active in an emergency service and feel that it compliments their DF service.

Your remark came across as very disparaging, not sure if that was the intent, I hope not
                          Not at all. I would never do down anyones service in any capacity. My personal opinion is that medals should be awarded for more than just having served in any capacity (the 1916 cenenary medal aside which was a special award).

All other DF medals either recognise gallantry, distinguished service, long service or overseas service. I definitely think someone should purchase the above if they like but I don't think it should be worn alongside the far more significant awards that are authorised.

It's just my own personal opinion but I believe we should be frugal in how and when we award medals. There are different schools of thought and I know the US military issues medals like sweets and that seems to work for them.

I 100% appreciate the service of all front line staff in the state.
                          Last edited by Auldsod; 9 September 2019, 21:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia View Post

I've been in OMAC since I was 15 and am nearly 4 years in it now. I'm only recently into the Defence Forces but have been extremely active in OMAC over the last number of years. I'm really, really proud of my one medal but for a number of reasons I don't think I'll apply for permission to wear it on DF uniform. It being privately issued being number one even though other government services wear it. Don't want to draw heat for wearing something you 'technically' had to purchase privately.

Comment

Originally posted by Zulu_00 View Post
                              I've been in OMAC since I was 15 and am nearly 4 years in it now. I'm only recently into the Defence Forces but have been extremely active in OMAC over the last number of years. I'm really, really proud of my one medal but for a number of reasons I don't think I'll apply for permission to wear it on DF uniform. It being privately issued being number one even though other government services wear it. Don't want to draw heat for wearing something you 'technically' had to purchase privately.
                              Your voluntary service in the Order of Malta is appreciated, however if it is not issued by the state, I am of the opinion that has being no business being on a military uniform. What other state bodies do is entirely up themselves - if they want to throw out a medal for going for a pray in France, thats fine, but I like to think that we in the DF we hold ourselves to higher standards. When something is issued, its normally hard won, not just thrown out for participating in a single day. The exception to this is the 1916-2016 medal, which although I wear it, I was not in favour of the idea, or the award criteria.

Comment

Working...
                              X