Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  45
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC-9M

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    The legend is false, I'm afraid. A Fouga is good for 360 kts and all commercial traffic is limited to a max of 250 knots in a control zone, so when the 747 was tooling about at low level, it was not giving it welly (Pope or not, it wasn't allowed to, nor did it need to, as the Pope wanted to see the country and the people looking up at him) but it was doing about 210 kts and had flaps out and the Fougas could keep up easily. Fougas were very clean aircraft, aerodynamically and only had a small amount of draggy objects sticking out of them. They weren't overpowered but they weren't as slow as people think, either.
    Wanna bet that is where the legend comes from? I think I have seen that pic with the 747 with the flaps out and the Fougas without

Post Thanks / Like
    Concorde?

3. Likes CTU liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    The legend is false, I'm afraid. A Fouga is good for 360 kts and all commercial traffic is limited to a max of 250 knots in a control zone.
    It’s not a limit(except US airspace) it is a restriction that can be lifted by ATC, you regularly hear ATC say “free speed” most civil airliners will climb at over 300kts.

The Fouga could do about 320 level and clean and max 400 in a dive.
    Last edited by Charlie252; 13th November 2019 at 12:54.

5. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes Tempest, hptmurphy, pym liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Only because leaving a smoking heap of splinters and an oil slick was seen as a bit ungentlemanly...
    Yeah a heavy trawler will do that to a soft skinned frigate... and the photos tell the whole story
    Time for another break I think......

7. Likes Flamingo liked this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    My quiet and peaceful neck of the woods here in Carbury in Kildare is often interrupted by a pair of PC-9s reenacting the Battle of Britain overhead , as to what practical reason there is for such aerial maneuvers in a trainer aircraft is beyond me when you consider that a Casa is most likely were these pilots will be flying operationally .
    Thy're back , Battle of Britain the Sequel being performed over head this AM , seems they only like nice clear sunny sky .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well you cant expect them to do combat training in a radar less aircraft in any other weather, do you?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

10. Likes Herald, sofa liked this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    They seem to have a fondness for the sky above Carbury Bog , maybe they are practicing strafing illegal turf cutters .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

12. Likes Orion liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    They seem to have a fondness for the sky above Carbury Bog , maybe they are practicing strafing illegal turf cutters .
    Well hopefully the arrival of the great metal bird gods in the sky, did not triggers the locals to panic and offer a human child sacrifice to the bog gods to protect them.

Thread Information