Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Nordic Uniform

Post Thanks / Like

Nordic Uniform

A single uniform design (With National camo patterns) for Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland

https://www.joint-forces.com/defence...-field-testing

http://www.nordefco.org/Nordic-Comba...-testing-phase
    http://www.nordefco.org/commonuniform

2. Thanks Flamingo, Tempest thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I missing something or is this new uniform not dpm, I.e green?
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    The uniform design will remain the same for each under the proposal but they will have their own individual national camouflage patterns. All about the branding.

5. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    New common uniform design but each country to have own camo pattern

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    New common uniform design but each country to have own camo pattern
    Which is what I just said

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    Which is what I just said
    Which is what I said in the first post

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something the DF could definitely have bought into, given our involvement with the Nordic battlegroup

10. Likes Flamingo, DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
    Something the DF could definitely have bought into, given our involvement with the Nordic battlegroup
    Definitely Why not miss an opportunity to mess up four other countries combat uniforms too
    The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiqués are belated, insincere, incomplete.....It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure.We are to-day not far from a disaster.

T.E. Lawrence, 2 Aug 1920.

12. Likes na grohmiti, Flamingo, DeV, CTU, Shaqra, apod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Nordic Combat Uniform project has being running since 2016 and is coming to an end with the testing. If we had gotten in earlier then we could have made a "pigs dinner of it" but given the stage it is at now I doubt we could change much apart from add our own Camo.

Most likely someone who controlled the budgets back then took one look at the current kit from the involved partners and died of a heart-attack straight away!
    The program is costing the four partner nations around $400m.

14. Thanks Flamingo, DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The arse fell out of the DF clothing budget around about the same time,and we have been playing catchup ever since. No way we were ever going into this project as that would have meant spending money.Money we didn't have. Also don't forget the very vocal lefty mob in this jurisdiction who would have seen,and probably still would,this as a move towards a "European Army"(Seriously),and we couldn't have that now could we what with being "Neutral" and all that.

Nope.Instead we take a fit for purpose uniform that needed a few minor tweaks and redesigned it completely instead with the primary focus being on keeping the budget down and the females happy. Cheers for that.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

16. Likes X-RayOne, sofa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Nope.Instead we take a fit for purpose uniform that needed a few minor tweaks and redesigned it completely instead with the primary focus being on keeping the budget down and the females happy. Cheers for that.
    And primarily focused on day to day barracks wear

Post Thanks / Like
    And primarily focused on day to day barracks wear
    I suppose you could argue that with the UBACS and the soon to be "Tactical" trousers then we will have both a field AND a Bks uniform.
    But that's a cop out. The smock is primarily supposed to be in the field category but it seems to be optimised for Bks wear. I hope i am mistaken though.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    The new smock looks like a mix of Barrack, smock and UBACS. Looks okay but seems terrible if you actually need a smock
    Last edited by Fantasia; 19th November 2019 at 08:20.

20. Likes apod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    I suppose you could argue that with the UBACS and the soon to be "Tactical" trousers then we will have both a field AND a Bks uniform.
    But that's a cop out. The smock is primarily supposed to be in the field category but it seems to be optimised for Bks wear. I hope i am mistaken though.
    Which goes against the whole principle in the first place of DPM - to replace working dress and combat dress with a single modular uniform

22. Likes X-RayOne, CTU liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being devils advocate here, and giving a stream of argumentative thought that I don't 100% agree with myself, but anyway.

We seem to have two conflicting ideologies in the DF, the barrack based, parade focus that seems to occupy the minds of those who make decisions on uniform modification, and the tactical/functional requirements of the troops on the ground. We also have the cost associated with the replacement of DPM uniforms that are washed, ironed and used in parade to within an inch of their lives, and in the recent example of new nubuck leather boots being polished for parade. These are conflicting ideologies that do not appear to have a resolution that is acceptable to the other.

Is it time that we go back to having a separate Barracks and Tactical uniform. Barracks being Trousers, Shirt, cold weather Jumper and black boots that could be ironed and polished to the joy of any CO or BSM, and a separate tactical uniform with UBACs, Ranger Trousers, a functional Smock and nubuck leather boots that would be just for tactical and operational wear.

If we don't go down this path, we're going to continue to have some bastardised mutt of a uniform that does neither job well. The other option of course is that the boards that make the call on uniform see sense, but I don't think that is likely to happen in this century.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

24. Likes Shaqra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post
    Being devils advocate here, and giving a stream of argumentative thought that I don't 100% agree with myself, but anyway.

We seem to have two conflicting ideologies in the DF, the barrack based, parade focus that seems to occupy the minds of those who make decisions on uniform modification, and the tactical/functional requirements of the troops on the ground. We also have the cost associated with the replacement of DPM uniforms that are washed, ironed and used in parade to within an inch of their lives, and in the recent example of new nubuck leather boots being polished for parade. These are conflicting ideologies that do not appear to have a resolution that is acceptable to the other.

Is it time that we go back to having a separate Barracks and Tactical uniform. Barracks being Trousers, Shirt, cold weather Jumper and black boots that could be ironed and polished to the joy of any CO or BSM, and a separate tactical uniform with UBACs, Ranger Trousers, a functional Smock and nubuck leather boots that would be just for tactical and operational wear.

If we don't go down this path, we're going to continue to have some bastardised mutt of a uniform that does neither job well. The other option of course is that the boards that make the call on uniform see sense, but I don't think that is likely to happen in this century.
    It’s already happened by accident

Post Thanks / Like
    Which goes against the whole principle in the first place of DPM - to replace working dress and combat dress with a single modular uniform
    I agree.The whole thing smacks of some senior bloke who has always hated the "shabby" appearance of a uniform designed for field use when on parade,now being in a position of power,and using said power to unwind ALL the progress made since 1999. If you read the study group report on DF uniforms(available in the DF Library) circa 1996 the new smock completely disregards ALL the recommendations that the ARW made regarding smock design.

Thread Information